#21 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:29 PM

Thorne makes too many mistakes and doesn't know the game well enough to be considered great at announcing O's games.

He's solid because he has a great voice, good sense of humor, and knows how to be a play by play guy.

#22 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:40 PM

Thorne makes too many mistakes and doesn't know the game well enough to be considered great at announcing O's games.

He's solid because he has a great voice, good sense of humor, and knows how to be a play by play guy.

Neither him or Hunter is Jon Miller, I think we can all agree on that.
@levineps

#23 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:10 PM

Yeah he was under contract with ESPN and when they dropped hockey he moved to college hockey and baseball in 2005, then he was mostly out of work (sporadic assignments) until he signed with the O's in 07. He also picked up all the junior hockey stuff, and has been doing all the international tournaments (worlds etc.) since 2010. He's got some bowl games he does too if it's CBS.

CBS only has the Sun Bowl which he doesn't do. I think the only college hockey he does is the Frozen Four and maybe an earlier round. I seem to recall him doing the John Carlson game(US beating Canada for the championship). These hockey committments are all in the baseball off-season except the Frozen Four is usually during this first weekend of the MLB season. Mel Proctor did both Bullets/Orioles, it's not uncommon for announcers to have multiple commitments.

It was the Capital One Bowl on ABC he did, my bad. He does some of the junior hockey tourneys which are March-April and then does the international stuff from April-May (he calls all the US games).

It's not uncommon when they are televised on the same network and the announcer has a contract with the network, you don't see that anymore since the days of HTS (I miss those days). Now all the sports are split up between MASN, CSN, NBCSports, FOX and CBS.
@JeremyMStrain

#24 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:36 PM

CBS only has the Sun Bowl which he doesn't do. I think the only college hockey he does is the Frozen Four and maybe an earlier round. I seem to recall him doing the John Carlson game(US beating Canada for the championship). These hockey committments are all in the baseball off-season except the Frozen Four is usually during this first weekend of the MLB season. Mel Proctor did both Bullets/Orioles, it's not uncommon for announcers to have multiple commitments.

It was the Capital One Bowl on ABC he did, my bad. He does some of the junior hockey tourneys which are March-April and then does the international stuff from April-May (he calls all the US games).

It's not uncommon when they are televised on the same network and the announcer has a contract with the network, you don't see that anymore since the days of HTS (I miss those days). Now all the sports are split up between MASN, CSN, NBCSports, FOX and CBS.

The international stuff makes sense. Was that why he was off this past series? As I said, I think he agreed to do MASN since they didn't make him commit to a full schedule (135-145 games). Josh Lewin, Kenny Albert, Dick Stockton, Thom Brennaman, Ian Eagle, among others all have multiple local and/or national gigs for different networks. Jon Miller previously ESPN commitments which irritated Angelos, in addition to not being a homer.
@levineps

#25 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:49 PM

The international stuff makes sense. Was that why he was off this past series? As I said, I think he agreed to do MASN since they didn't make him commit to a full schedule (135-145 games). Josh Lewin, Kenny Albert, Dick Stockton, Thom Brennaman, Ian Eagle, among others all have multiple local and/or national gigs for different networks. Jon Miller previously ESPN commitments which irritated Angelos, in addition to not being a homer.

I'm not sure with this last one, I know the World Championships ended last week, so I don't know if he had something else or not. He might have had to clear his schedule for all the potential days of the tournament before the baseball season started and just already had them off in case it went longer. Not sure though.

I miss when all the sports were on one network and shared commentators like you mentioned earlier, it was more cohesive and you really KNEW all of the commentators since you had a lot less than you do now with all the different networks.
@JeremyMStrain

#26 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 May 2012 - 03:04 PM

The Orioles don't mind having inconsistent broadcast teams. I think this is largely to accommodate Palmer, who has never wanted to do an entire slate(135-145 games). Last one full-time pbp announcer they had TV-wise was Mike Reghi, who was fine, I think an upgrade from Hunter, downgrade from Thorne.
@levineps

#27 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:01 PM

Tonight!!

Thankfully!!
@beginthebegin71