26 replies to this topic

#1 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:10 AM

I like Palmer, but Bordick seems to be getting more comfortable... which means he's saying things that are more interesting and informative... so while I miss Palmer, it's not bothering me all that much like it did at first.

But I can't take much more of Hunter.

Listening to him is like listening to most other team's broadcasts, which for the most part are lousy. Plus, he always seems like a puppy who's too eager to please. (Puppies get over it a whole lot faster than Hunter, even if we count in dog years.)

Does Thorne take time off just so we'll be glad to see him when he's back?

BTW, when is he back?

ps: I know some folks miss Amber, and I fully admit that she's better looking than Thorne, but he's by far the best question-asker the O's have had since, well, I don't know when. Meanwhile, Amber botched her extended opportunity to video chat with AJ that's up on the MASN site... she didn't ask him even one interesting question, about either baseball or anything else... it was just lame... if Thorne had done it, it would have been 100 times better even if he had only half the time...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#2 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:16 AM

Thorne does maybe 2/3 of the games with Hunter doing the other 1/3. My guess is he'll rejoin the team in Toronto, if not the next series? Thorne has other commitments like the Frozen Four, Little League World Series, and he did college football broadcasts for CBS Sports Network last year. I'm sure MASN was willing to give him a reduced schedule in order to secure a broadcaster of his caliber.

I like Amber, but ill admit she definitely gets a free pass from criticism a lot of the time because of her looks. Looks like she's cutting back at MASN, Tom Davis seems to be absorbing her role as the backup to Hunter on O's Xtra. I know she's done work on MLB Network as well NBC4&980 in DC.
@levineps

#3 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,537 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:38 AM

I'm not sure, but I'm with you, Thorne needs to come back ASAP - And they really need to re-visit who is the back-up PBP guy. I don't know anyone who can even moderately tolerate Jimmyville. Jim Palmer can't even take it. As 85 said, Thorne has a few other obligations, but I'm not sure what he'd be up to currently. I know he is the voice in NHL 13, which comes out in a few months, maybe he's doing the voice overs for that right now? I haven't seen him on anything else.

I agree also about Bordick, he's really settled in nicely of late. I thought he really shined in the stupid MASN party they had when O's/Nats played last weekend. The contrast of him and Santangelo really helped though.

BTW, if I'm not mistaken, Hunter usually does the games in Toronto. We'll see.

#4 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:56 AM

Amen to all of the Thorne sentiment..He's terrific! One of my biggest pet peeves over at OH, was the "Thorne's a Yankee Fan", "Thorne roots against the O's" nonsense. Dude is really good at what he does.

As for Amber, didn't she cut back after her child was born?
@beginthebegin71

#5 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:53 AM

He also works for a couple of the big networks doing hockey, and playoff stuff baseball and college football, so I'm guessing he's phasing himself out of doing the O's.
@JeremyMStrain

#6 tpjs1

tpjs1

Pops

• Members
  • 203 posts
  • LocationCatonsville MD

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:15 AM

He also works for a couple of the big networks doing hockey, and playoff stuff baseball and college football, so I'm guessing he's phasing himself out of doing the O's.

He has done hockey and other sports right from the beginning of his time with the Orioles, so his being off the air from time to time is nothing new.

I'll take part time Thorne over full time Jim Hunter every time. One thing I don't like about Hunter is his constant need to fill the air...sometimes a few seconds without talking works just fine...
@Tpjs1

#7 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:27 AM

He has done hockey and other sports right from the beginning of his time with the Orioles, so his being off the air from time to time is nothing new.

I'll take part time Thorne over full time Jim Hunter every time. One thing I don't like about Hunter is his constant need to fill the air...sometimes a few seconds without talking works just fine...

He picked up the extra stuff 150% more in the past 2 years since he started here when he couldn't get a job since all he did was hockey, and it didn't have a tv deal at the time.

His first love is hockey, and if he can get back to where he was doing all the national coverage, I expect him to take it.
@JeremyMStrain

#8 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,537 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:31 AM

He picked up the extra stuff 150% more in the past 2 years since he started here when he couldn't get a job since all he did was hockey, and it didn't have a tv deal at the time.

His first love is hockey, and if he can get back to where he was doing all the national coverage, I expect him to take it.

He would jump all over a chance to do hockey full time, but could do baseball in the summer if he so chose. I don't want to lose him with the O's, but quite frankly, he's Jon Miller when it comes to hockey.

#9 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:34 AM

Thorne seems like a nice enough guy. I am not a fan of him behind the mic. I think Hunter calls a better game.

#10 waroriole

waroriole

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 519 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:38 AM

Agreed. Hunter is beyond awful. I won't listen to a game of Hunter-Bordick. Bordick isn't bad, but I need Palmer to cancel out Hunter's awfulness.

Thorne is awesome. Great voice, great personality. I don't care if he's not as knowledgeable about the game, he's miles better than Hunter.

#11 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:54 AM

He would jump all over a chance to do hockey full time, but could do baseball in the summer if he so chose. I don't want to lose him with the O's, but quite frankly, he's Jon Miller when it comes to hockey.

Exactly, and he knows it too. He's just been biding his time waiting for that no. 1 announcer job I think. I could see him doing hockey through June, and then picking up baseball through the summer, but finding someone that would hire him and let him not work from March-June would be tough.
@JeremyMStrain

#12 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:18 AM

I'm not sure, but I'm with you, Thorne needs to come back ASAP - And they really need to re-visit who is the back-up PBP guy. I don't know anyone who can even moderately tolerate Jimmyville. Jim Palmer can't even take it. As 85 said, Thorne has a few other obligations, but I'm not sure what he'd be up to currently. I know he is the voice in NHL 13, which comes out in a few months, maybe he's doing the voice overs for that right now? I haven't seen him on anything else.

I agree also about Bordick, he's really settled in nicely of late. I thought he really shined in the stupid MASN party they had when O's/Nats played last weekend. The contrast of him and Santangelo really helped though.

BTW, if I'm not mistaken, Hunter usually does the games in Toronto. We'll see.

I believe Hunter called the Toronto series earlier this year, maybe his passport expired? He never seems to do the Nats series. I think he gets to pick and choose the games he does.
@levineps

#13 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:22 AM

I think you guys forget he used to never do Sunday games(and some Saturday games) with his commitment to ESPN Radio Sunday Night games. He's always had other assignments (Little League World Series, Frozen Four, MLN All-Star game festivities, etc?). The only thing I know picked up on was those college football games on CBS Sports.

Maybe he's had more off-days? Has anyone been tracking the total amount of games he's done over the years?
@levineps

#14 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:28 AM

Thorne seems like a nice enough guy. I am not a fan of him behind the mic. I think Hunter calls a better game.

I don't like how much of a homer Hunter is(and apologist). Even though I consider Tom Davis both of these, he does it in a less deliberate way IMO and he's Baltimore through and through.

My biggest issue with Thorne is all the mistakes- catches/non-catches, homers/non-homers. That being said, he makes some great calls. I loved his call of September 28th last year.
@levineps

#15 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:48 AM

I think you guys forget he used to never do Sunday games(and some Saturday games) with his commitment to ESPN Radio Sunday Night games. He's always had other assignments (Little League World Series, Frozen Four, MLN All-Star game festivities, etc?). The only thing I know picked up on was those college football games on CBS Sports.

Maybe he's had more off-days? Has anyone been tracking the total amount of games he's done over the years?

No we are going back further, before the NHL lockout, he was THE VOICE of hockey, did all the ESPN games, all the national games, all the playoffs. Then the lockout happened, and he had to get another job because they didn't have jobs for announcers while they were rebuilding the NHL. Since he's come on with the O's he's had those little assignments here and there, but he's picked up more and more since 2010, I think he's getting ready to transition back but I'm sure it depends on his contract.
@JeremyMStrain

#16 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:50 AM

I don't like how much of a homer Hunter is(and apologist). Even though I consider Tom Davis both of these, he does it in a less deliberate way IMO and he's Baltimore through and through.

My biggest issue with Thorne is all the mistakes- catches/non-catches, homers/non-homers. That being said, he makes some great calls. I loved his call of September 28th last year.

Yeah he's a born announcer, don't get me wrong, he's just in the wrong sport. He gets too much wrong and it drives me crazy. In hockey he's the best, in baseball he's a good announcer but doesn't really get the game completely.
@JeremyMStrain

#17 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:06 PM

No we are going back further, before the NHL lockout, he was THE VOICE of hockey, did all the ESPN games, all the national games, all the playoffs. Then the lockout happened, and he had to get another job because they didn't have jobs for announcers while they were rebuilding the NHL. Since he's come on with the O's he's had those little assignments here and there, but he's picked up more and more since 2010, I think he's getting ready to transition back but I'm sure it depends on his contract.

The lockout ended in 2005, he started MASN in 2007. What other assignments has he had besides college football games on CBS Sports? He's always done the Little League World Series, Frozen Four, MLB All-Star festivities. These three events combined cost him about a dozen games tops. What has he picked up since 2010 besides college football on CBS Sports Network (not sure if he's doing that again this year).

He's actually had a decrease in other commitments as I pointed out since the ESPN took him off SNB radio coverage since those caused him to miss every Sunday and some Saturdays. As I said his off-days might have increased, but unless you're keeping track that's hard to verify.
@levineps

#18 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:12 PM

Gary Thorne and Jim Palmer are a perfect combination. Thorne has a very good voice and he keeps games entertaining. Palmer always has good insight, and I love the bickering that him and Thorne do. Hunter just annoys me. And Bordick sounds like he's reading a bedtime story.

"We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" - Alex Ovechkin

@BaltimoreDavey

#19 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:20 PM

The lockout ended in 2005, he started MASN in 2007. What other assignments has he had besides college football games on CBS Sports? He's always done the Little League World Series, Frozen Four, MLB All-Star festivities. These three events combined cost him about a dozen games tops. What has he picked up since 2010 besides college football on CBS Sports Network (not sure if he's doing that again this year).

He's actually had a decrease in other commitments as I pointed out since the ESPN took him off SNB radio coverage since those caused him to miss every Sunday and some Saturdays. As I said his off-days might have increased, but unless you're keeping track that's hard to verify.

Yeah he was under contract with ESPN and when they dropped hockey he moved to college hockey and baseball in 2005, then he was mostly out of work (sporadic assignments) until he signed with the O's in 07. He also picked up all the junior hockey stuff, and has been doing all the international tournaments (worlds etc.) since 2010. He's got some bowl games he does too if it's CBS.
@JeremyMStrain

#20 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:26 PM

Yeah he was under contract with ESPN and when they dropped hockey he moved to college hockey and baseball in 2005, then he was mostly out of work (sporadic assignments) until he signed with the O's in 07. He also picked up all the junior hockey stuff, and has been doing all the international tournaments (worlds etc.) since 2010. He's got some bowl games he does too if it's CBS.

CBS only has the Sun Bowl which he doesn't do. I think the only college hockey he does is the Frozen Four and maybe an earlier round. I seem to recall him doing the John Carlson game(US beating Canada for the championship). These hockey committments are all in the baseball off-season except the Frozen Four is usually during this first weekend of the MLB season. Mel Proctor did both Bullets/Orioles, it's not uncommon for announcers to have multiple commitments.
@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=