828 replies to this topic

#41 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,139 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 03:38 PM

Has Price pitched significantly better at Tigers stadium vs the road??

7 starts at Tigers Stadium.  3.71 ERA and 664 OPS-against.  Not sure if they were all with the Tigers or if one of them may have been with the Rays against the Tigers.

#42 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 03:40 PM

I'm trying to figure out if there is any logic other than the ceremonial thing you mentioned above.

#43 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 03:53 PM

So, no overwhelming reason why you'd pitch Verlander over Price. Verlander has a slightly better ERA in OPACY. It's like 2.80 ERA vs 3.20 ERA.

The other thing of note and I think Ausmus could use this is that Verlander has been the much better postseason pitcher. Especially, in the ALDS round where his ERA is in the 1.70s

#44 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,706 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 03:54 PM

I think they want Price as the stopper if they get down 0-2.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#45 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 03:59 PM

Better to be the stopper when youre down 0-1.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#46 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:55 PM

5:37 P.M.

@DJ_McCann

#47 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,139 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:29 AM

v Tillman:

Cabrera 1159 OPS in 15 PA

V. Martinez 900 OPS in 10 PA

JD Martinez 0 OPS in 3 PA

Kinsler 794 OPS in 17 PA

Hunter 1250 OPS in 4 PA

Castellanos 667 OPS in 3 PA

Avila 833 OPS in 6 PA

Romine 0 OPS in 3 PA

Davis 0 OPS in 3 PA

He's never faced Carrera, Kelly has an 856 OPS in 10 PA.

Not a ton of opportunities against him by the Tigers, and pretty much numbers from the few guys who've faced him more than one time than match their career numbers.  Probably doesn't tell us much about the matchup.  Hopefully we get the sharp Tillman tomorrow!

#48 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,139 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:50 AM

I'm going to be so utterly useless at work today.  Cannot focus at all, way too excited for tomorrow.

#49 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,679 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:26 AM

I'm still on cloud nine that we are seeing Verlander game 2 instead of Price.

Lest we overreact to Verlander "turning it around", yes, he did have two good starts to finish the year (8 IP, 1 ER vs Chi and 7.1 IP 1 ER against KC) but before that he was still pretty stinky.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#50 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,139 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:34 AM

I'm still on cloud nine that we are seeing Verlander game 2 instead of Price.

Lest we overreact to Verlander "turning it around", yes, he did have two good starts to finish the year (8 IP, 1 ER vs Chi and 7.1 IP 1 ER against KC) but before that he was still pretty stinky.

Agree.  He had nice lines, but he still gave up 7 hits in each of those games and only had 10 total K in the 15+ innings and his velocity was still down (93.0 and 92.5) where it's been all year instead of in the 94-95 mph average range he was in previous years.  The one big thing that sticks out as a positive is that he didn't walk anyone in either game, which were his 3rd and 4th games all year with 0 walks.  His BB-rate this year before those two starts was 3.1, which matched 2013 but he was at 2.4 per 9 from 2009-2012.

#51 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,679 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:37 AM

Eh, we don't walk anyway, so the fact that he isn't walking people doesn't really bug me.  I just want him to serve up a few gopher balls.  What was his home run rate like down the stretch as opposed to earlier in the year?

@bopper33

#52 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,139 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:46 AM

The same.  HRs haven't been the problem for him this year.  Basically the same rate as the rest of his career. 

#53 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,390 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 01 October 2014 - 11:31 AM

For those going, any pre/post game plans?

#54 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,139 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 11:53 AM

For those going, any pre/post game plans?

Debating between Cross St Market and Frank & Nick's which could bleed out into Pickles/Sliders.

Post game will probably depend on the outcome as well as the Friday gametime.  A win and a 3pm start?  Oh boy.  A loss and a noon start...probably tamer.

#55 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,679 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 11:56 AM

I usually park in the Penn Street garage, walk to Camden Pub for a beer or three and then head to the park.  Since this game starts at 530, I am assuming I will want to get there before the garage opens to the public (which is usually an issue during day games).  So...I am stuck trying to find a place to park...from there I will figure out my game plans.  I could always split an uber with my buddy, but I imagine finding a car for the way home might be a problem.

@bopper33

#56 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,390 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 01 October 2014 - 11:57 AM

Debating between Cross St Market and Frank & Nick's which could bleed out into Pickles/Sliders.

Post game will probably depend on the outcome as well as the Friday gametime.  A win and a 3pm start?  Oh boy.  A loss and a noon start...probably tamer.

Haven't been to either even though I walk past Frank and Nic's all the time. And yeah, the outcome/gametime definitely influences the post game. 

#57 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,139 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:06 PM

Uber will likely be very expensive, but that's my plan for getting there.  My guess is triple rates, but we'll see.  For getting home, I'll try uber, but I often just start walking back towards Fells / Canton and look for a cab.  Usually around President Street you can find one, and then 10 minutes of walking really only costs you a few minutes considering you'd be sitting in traffic if you were able to find a cab around the stadium.

#58 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,139 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:17 PM

Haven't been to either even though I walk past Frank and Nic's all the time. And yeah, the outcome/gametime definitely influences the post game. 

Frank & Nick's is usually a little less packed than the outside places, which will likely be swarmed.  I've never had the entrees there, but the sandwiches and apps are pretty typical bar fare, though I think they like to think they do it a bit better or fancier.  Wings are decent and if you get an order of 20, actually decently priced.

#59 PatrickDougherty

PatrickDougherty

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:38 PM

Frank & Nick's is usually a little less packed than the outside places, which will likely be swarmed.  I've never had the entrees there, but the sandwiches and apps are pretty typical bar fare, though I think they like to think they do it a bit better or fancier.  Wings are decent and if you get an order of 20, actually decently priced.

They have great burgers too. A friend's cousin is the titular Frank, so I've been going there since early college.

@pjd0014
I'm trying to be better about sharing code for reuse: Github

#60 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,139 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:45 PM

They have great burgers too. A friend's cousin is the titular Frank, so I've been going there since early college.

I was lumping the burgers in with the sandwiches.  I think I've only had a burger once, probably wouldn't call it great, but they did at least cook it medium rare like I asked, which is half the battle.  Too many places, especially bars, ask you how you want your burger and then just cook it to hell anyways.  I hate that.  I don't mind so much if a bar cooks my $10 burger well done, but don't ask me how I want it and then ignore my answer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=