756 replies to this topic

#721 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,776 posts

Posted 24 August 2023 - 09:32 AM

Torn UCL for Ohtani? Another TJS? Brutal right before he's set to become a free agent.

#722 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,304 posts

Posted 24 August 2023 - 01:39 PM

You could see something brewing on the pitching side wirh Ohtani

#723 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 29 August 2023 - 04:23 PM

The Angels just put Lucas Giolito, Reynaldo Lopez, Matt Moore, Hunter Renfroe, and Randal Grichuk on waivers lol.

Good use of resources.

#724 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,933 posts

Posted 29 August 2023 - 04:27 PM

Doubt it gets to us, but we should have a claim in on Lopez and Moore.  Giolito as well, even though he's been brutal since the trade.

Are these outright waivers?  I thought that they got rid of revocable.  Will they clear in time for a Aug 31 roster addition, which means postseason eligibility?

#725 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 29 August 2023 - 04:29 PM

Doubt it gets to us, but we should have a claim in on Lopez and Moore. Giolito as well, even though he's been brutal since the trade.

Are these outright waivers? I thought that they got rid of revocable. Will they clear in time for a Aug 31 roster addition, which means postseason eligibility?

Outright waivers, all will be postseason eligible. None of them will get to us.

#726 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 29 August 2023 - 05:07 PM

The Angels just put Lucas Giolito, Reynaldo Lopez, Matt Moore, Hunter Renfroe, and Randal Grichuk on waivers lol.

Good use of resources.

The Angels likely took a look at what they want their roster to look like in five years, and realized these mid-career guys aren't a part of getting them to that goal. It's actually viewed as a 'solid' among players for teams to release guys like this: to give them a chance to get picked up by a team looking to make the postseason. 

#727 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 29 August 2023 - 05:08 PM

The Angels likely took a look at what they want their roster to look like in five years, and realized these mid-career guys aren't a part of getting them to that goal. It's actually viewed as a 'solid' among players for teams to release guys like this: to give them a chance to get picked up by a team looking to make the postseason.

They’re all free agents at the end of the year and they just traded some good prospects for these guys. Shitshow.

#728 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 29 August 2023 - 05:20 PM

They’re all free agents at the end of the year and they just traded some good prospects for these guys. Shitshow.

I'm not arguing the effectiveness of the Angels' franchise. I'm simply saying that when a team pulls up like this, it's not that uncommon to unload guys to catch on elsewhere. 

#729 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 29 August 2023 - 05:21 PM

I'm not arguing the effectiveness of the Angels' franchise. I'm simply saying that when a team pulls up like this, it's not that uncommon to unload guys to catch on elsewhere.

Oh that I understand but they should’ve seen this coming.

#730 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,437 posts

Posted 29 August 2023 - 05:26 PM

I admit I pay way more attention to the Os than the league as a whole but I don’t feel like this is common at all. Maybe it just seems awful due to the sheer number, 20% of the roster waived seems nuts.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#731 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,304 posts

Posted 29 August 2023 - 06:16 PM

This is BS. Gonna allow team right behind us to pick up quality players and there is nothing we can do about it.

#732 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 29 August 2023 - 07:18 PM

This is BS. Gonna allow team right behind us to pick up quality players and there is nothing we can do about it.

This is one of the downsides of having the second-best record in the majors. And I can live with that.

The Angels are also some $5 million over the luxury tax threshold as of right now. If that number is accurate, then they can slip back under if several of these players are claimed. Teams over the luxury tax are, among other things, penalized when it comes to compensatory draft picks, which could be important should they lose Ohtani to free agency.

• Mackus likes this

#733 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 August 2023 - 08:17 PM

Very true. Unfortunate.

Angels really are a total disaster.

#734 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,933 posts

Posted 29 August 2023 - 08:20 PM

Think they'll come up with a fix to this in the off-season. Maybe players claimed on irrevocable or release waivers with a certain amount of service time just become free agents? Or aren't postseason eligible after the trade deadline? Or both?

#735 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,304 posts

Posted 29 August 2023 - 08:30 PM

Think they'll come up with a fix to this in the off-season. Maybe players claimed on irrevocable or release waivers with a certain amount of service time just become free agents? Or aren't postseason eligible after the trade deadline? Or both?

Something has to be done. Obviously LA does this because they know someone will pick them up and eat the remaing salaries. I mean freaking Giolto is not even gonna cost one of these contenders a prospect. Just remaining salary. The old Aug waiver trades was better than this. It at least cost the team acquiring something more than just salary. Even if it was a scratch off lottery ticket.
  • mdrunning likes this

#736 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 29 August 2023 - 08:41 PM

Something has to be done. Obviously LA does this because they know someone will pick them up and eat the remaing salaries. I mean freaking Giolto is not even gonna cost one of these contenders a prospect. Just remaining salary. The old Aug waiver trades was better than this. It at least cost the team acquiring something more than just salary. Even if it was a scratch off lottery ticket.

Before the old deadline was eliminated, you'd see much bigger names than this hit the waiver wire. They were never going to be outright waived, but teams did it to try and gauge interest should someone claim them. 

Can a team still pull a guy off the waiver wire if he's claimed? Not that the Angels have any incentive to do so.

#737 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,933 posts

Sometimes guys still moved just on waivers without a prospect. I recall the Yankees trying to block a move, probably for Boston, and ending up with Jose Canseco who they didn't want.
  • TwentyThirtyFive likes this

#738 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,933 posts

Can a team still pull a guy off the waiver wire if he's claimed? Not that the Angels have any incentive to do so.

No

#739 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,304 posts

Posted 29 August 2023 - 08:44 PM

Sometimes guys still moved just on waivers without a prospect. I recall the Yankees trying to block a move, probably for Boston, and ending up with Jose Canseco who they didn't want.

True. Reynaldo Lopez has been really good for LAA too. Tor gonna pick both these guys up?? Im assuming as well that the lowest team gets first priorty on both or does it work like fantasy where if you claim a guy and win you get sent ti the back of the line. Prob not right. So Tor can just add two nice arms to their staff. Ridiculous.

#740 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 29 August 2023 - 08:46 PM

No

Actually, I believe a team can use a rescission option once on a player. Any subsequent waiver would irrevocable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=