#41 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:17 PM

The WC game was a little different though, they only had certain pitchers available because they were trying to save some for the ALDS. I could see them throwing SJ for a couple innings at less than 100%, but then deciding they don't need him in the ALDS less than 100%. Not sure really, just trying to make sense out of it.

It's more likely that Buck trusts the veterans more than the rookies (he's got a reputation for that) and when he had to choose went with the veterans.

I don't think the first paragraph makes sense. If Johnson wasn't 100%, then why would they trust him in a key situation during a winner take all game but not to be one of 8 relievers for the ALDS? Plus, he should be more healthy now compared to then.

#42 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:32 PM

I believe he warmed up for yesterdays game and that got everyone nervous. Really, if he's not going to be used in a high leverage situation, not sure why he's on the ALDS roster. I think Buck could use him in a matchup situation or if it goes to extras? But so far three games in the postseason, no appearances.
@levineps

#43 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:39 PM

I believe he warmed up for yesterdays game and that got everyone nervous. Really, if he's not going to be used in a high leverage situation, not sure why he's on the ALDS roster. I think Buck could use him in a matchup situation or if it goes to extras? But so far three games in the postseason, no appearances.

You could really say the same exact thing about Ayala.

I think it's obvious that the guys Buck trusts late in the game at this point are O'Day, Matusz, and Johnson. I think earlier in the game, you'll see Patton, Hunter, and Ayala get in. Saunders is the long man and Strop is the insurance in case we've used some of the earlier setup guys but don't want to use any of the three most trusted guys yet.

#44 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:02 PM

You could really say the same exact thing about Ayala.

I think it's obvious that the guys Buck trusts late in the game at this point are O'Day, Matusz, and Johnson. I think earlier in the game, you'll see Patton, Hunter, and Ayala get in. Saunders is the long man and Strop is the insurance in case we've used some of the earlier setup guys but don't want to use any of the three most trusted guys yet.

Good point with Ayala, what stands out though is Strop was the 8th inning guy for almost the entire season.
@levineps

#45 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:02 PM

Strop 2012: 70 games, 5-2, 3 saves, 24 holds, 2.44 era, 66.1 ip, 52 hits, 2 hr's, 37 bb's, 58 k's, .613 OPS against, 1.83 G/F

#46 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:59 AM

MASN: Will Strop stop slumping?
http://www.masnsport...ew-readers.html

#47 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:06 PM

Strop was looking great tonight. Fastball jumping around like it does at his best.

#48 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:38 PM

Strop was looking great tonight. Fastball jumping around like it does at his best.

Hope Det likes what they saw. :)

#49 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:40 PM

Hope Det likes what they saw. :)

He struck out Miggy Cabrera, so maybe he'll pass word along :P

#50 MattCLund

MattCLund
  • Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:16 PM

I don't know if he'll ever be able to fully get hold of his mechanics, but from what I saw last night, he was able to repeat his delivery and looked damn good.

And he's on the world stage...
@MattCLund

#51 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:10 AM

Camden Chat: Strop's very good WBC
http://www.camdencha...inican-republic

#52 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:59 PM

BSL: 2013 Projections: Strop
http://baltimorespor...ns-pedro-strop/

#53 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:01 PM

After getting 2 outs in the 7th, Strop was brought back out for the 8th tonight. He allowed a homer to Johnson, followed by a walk, and homer to Longoria.

As we mentioned in our projections, it was not going to be a surprise to see him allow more homers than he did last year... but after seeing him allow just 2 in 66.1 ip last season - it was a bit of shock to see him allow 2 homers in 3 batters tonight.

#54 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:36 AM

I'm not worried about Strop yet.

Despite giving up a few runs in TB early in the season, I think he had looked pretty fantastic up until his 2nd inning last night.  The first TB game was just unlucky for Pedro, last night he got rocked in the 2nd inning and looked rattled after the first HR.  I don't think it was a mistake at all to bring him back out for the inning, but he definitely didn't respond well.  Two HR in one inning is just about unheard of for him.

His next outing is important.  If he bounces right back, then my confidence in him will remain just as high as it has been, which is very high.  If he struggles again, either with walks or getting hit hard, then you have to start wondering if he's developing some problems.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#55 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:50 PM

if he has options he needs to be sent to AAA. If not, he needs to be the 7th man in the pen. Can't have what happened today happen.

#56 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:17 PM

if he has options he needs to be sent to AAA. If not, he needs to be the 7th man in the pen. Can't have what happened today happen.

Might be his biggest fan on the board, but I totally agree that he is a mess right now. Totally out-of-whack mechanically, and pitching with little confidence.

When he is going well, I like that he pitches quickly. He gets a strike, gets the ball, and fires again. When he is going poorly, that seems to only hurt him more. He will throw a ball, get the ball back, and throw another one off the mark with seemingly little thought or adjustment between pitches.

#57 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:31 PM

Might be his biggest fan on the board, but I totally agree that he is a mess right now. Totally out-of-whack mechanically, and pitching with little confidence.

When he is going well, I like that he pitches quickly. He gets a strike, gets the ball, and fires again. When he is going poorly, that seems to only hurt him more. He will throw a ball, get the ball back, and throw another one off the mark with seemingly little thought or adjustment between pitches.

I'd love to see some stats on how he fares after throwing the first pitch for a strike vs for a ball. Obviously everyone pitches better when throwing first pitch strikes, but just my impression with no supporting data is that when Strop misses with pitch 1, it's like he's mentally thrown off. Like he had a plan and 1-0 wasn't it and now he's screwed.

@AdamWolff

#58 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:39 PM

I'd love to see some stats on how he fares after throwing the first pitch for a strike vs for a ball. Obviously everyone pitches better when throwing first pitch strikes, but just my impression with no supporting data is that when Strop misses with pitch 1, it's like he's mentally thrown off. Like he had a plan and 1-0 wasn't it and now he's screwed.

Last year he was noticeably better after 0-1 (though not bad after 1-0, just dominant after 0-1). This year he's actually better after throwing ball 1, oddly enough. I think his issues are more mechanical, which can pop up whenever, rather than him freaking out after throwing ball one.

2012:

After 1-0: 132 PA, 23/99, 25 K, 30 BB, 720 OPS-against
After 0-1: 121 PA, 20/112, 33 K, 7 BB, 436 OPS-against

2013:

After 1-0: 23 PA, 4/17, 5 K, 5 BB, 670 OPS-against
After 0-1: 16 PA, 4/13, 3 K, 1 BB, 973 OPS-against
  • Adam Wolff likes this

#59 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:20 AM

MASN: Strop's stopping the slump
http://www.masnsport...-the-slump.html

#60 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:29 PM

Strop has given up just 1 run in his last 10.2 IP (12 games)... 12 K's during that stretch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=