• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#21 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,101 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:56 PM

Been a great year for Pedro. Wanted him in tonight. Have all the confidence in the world in him going forward... but after that walk, you had to pull him.

These last two outings vs. NY, he has appeared to be overthrowing and then aiming.

#22 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:25 PM

In his last 5 outings, strop has given up 7 hits, 4 walks and 5 runs. He has pitched 2.1 IP in those 5 outings. He didn't retire a batter in 2 of the outings and only one in another.

#23 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:52 AM

I feel like the pressure might be getting to him. Maybe try O'Day as the set up guy for a while.

#24 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:53 AM

Buck needs to ease him back into that role and not bring him in with runners on anymore.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#25 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,101 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:57 AM

Buck needs to ease him back into that role and not bring him in with runners on anymore.

I really think his issues last week in NY, and last night; had to do with the playing the Yanks. All year, he has not shown signs of being intimidated by the moment. In these games, he was overthrowing, and then aiming.

Would be great if the O's could have a laugher in one of these next 3 games, and he can get in and mow down some Yankees.

He just has to remember that his stuff plays against anyone. If he can throw strikes, he can and will be successful.

#26 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:36 PM

Thats three games in a row where he's struggled against the Yankees.

#27 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,101 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:23 PM

MASN / Melewski: Strop talks about recent struggles / mechanical flaw
http://www.masnsport...-struggles.html

#28 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:25 PM

Judging by his MASN comments today, Buck is going to have a short leash with Strop. Hope this means JJ for longer outings.

#29 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:56 PM

Judging by his MASN comments today, Buck is going to have a short leash with Strop. Hope this means JJ for longer outings.

Funny how this works: different people hear the same words but hear different meanings in them... what I heard was that he'd gonna trust his guy, keep putting Pedro out there, and not have a short memory... ear of the beholder, I guess...

I think the chances of him using JJ differently are close to zip... we'll see...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#30 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:28 PM

Funny how this works: different people hear the same words but hear different meanings in them... what I heard was that he'd gonna trust his guy, keep putting Pedro out there, and not have a short memory... ear of the beholder, I guess...

I think the chances of him using JJ differently are close to zip... we'll see...

Oh, he will keep using him...just think his leash is shorter, that's all.

#31 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,101 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:06 PM

Including today, Strop has allowed an er in 5 of his last 11 outings. A total of 7 innings, and 6 er.

Despite allowing the er today, I thought he looked pretty good. His command was better. He had a beautiful k, and got 2 two grounders.

I wanted to see him in the 8th today as a test. It is clear that Buck is still going to have to pick spots.

Getting Strop confident before the playoffs during these remaining regular season games is a key to me.

#32 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:29 PM

From Roch:

"I thought Strop threw the ball great today," Showalter said. "A strikeout, a weak ground ball, two routine fly balls that hit the wall. Hopefully, we'll take that as a positive."

I was criticizing Strop, but Buck makes a good point. You have to wonder what happens to those two doubles if this game is played anywhere but Fenway.

#33 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:43 AM

From Roch:

I was criticizing Strop, but Buck makes a good point. You have to wonder what happens to those two doubles if this game is played anywhere but Fenway.

The only thing to wonder is whether he would've faced 3 batters or 4. Either way, he would've been out of it with no real problem.

While it really sucks to have him go through this, especially now, after he gets through it, it will have been good for him in the long run. Some kid-P will be having a rough time, and he'll be able to tell them about the struggle he's having now, and how he came out the other side. Not saying I'm glad it's happening, I'm not, but in addition to the lousy aspects, I bet it can help him be more rattle proof later.

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#34 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,101 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:24 PM

Strop would have been on my ALDS roster, and I was glad the O's included him. However, if they are scared to use him - he should not have been included.

#35 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:40 PM

Strop would have been on my ALDS roster, and I was glad the O's included him. However, if they are scared to use him - he should not have been included.

I agree with both parts.

One thing Buck has routinely done (I think) is not use JJ when the score is tied. The fact that he used JJ with it tied in the 9th makes me wonder if he's scared to use Pedro.

#36 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,361 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:01 AM

I agree with both parts.

One thing Buck has routinely done (I think) is not use JJ when the score is tied. The fact that he used JJ with it tied in the 9th makes me wonder if he's scared to use Pedro.

I would be interested to see a breakdown of pitcher usage in tie games at home in the 9th since there won't be a save situation to reserve Jim for. I don't have much of a memory for specifics, but I doubt Buck's usage of him tonight was that out of the ordinary.

#37 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:17 AM

Strop is going to be used for a speacial situation. Either a game that goes extras or a spot to matchup where we need a power arm to get a K or groundball. He's just not going to start an inning and be asked to get 3 plus guys unless the game is out of hand or the game goes extra innings.

I do question him on the roster over Steve Johnson but if Stevie is hurt than to me I don't see where Britton or Arrieta are that much of an upgrade.

BTW...do we know for sure that basically Strop had to be on the roster. By that I mean, we know we added some guys who were not on our active roster on Aug 31st to the playoff roster. Do we know there wasn't a roster crunch in that regard and thats basically why Pedro has to stay, because he was on the roster on Aug 31st. I forget who was and wasn't on the roster on Aug 31st. I know Chavez wasn't and he has taken a spot of somone who was on the DL. Anybody else??? I know Arrieta was not on the roster on Aug 31st. Not sure about Steve.

#38 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,361 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:30 AM

Strop is going to be used for a speacial situation. Either a game that goes extras or a spot to matchup where we need a power arm to get a K or groundball. He's just not going to start an inning and be asked to get 3 plus guys unless the game is out of hand or the game goes extra innings.

I do question him on the roster over Steve Johnson but if Stevie is hurt than to me I don't see where Britton or Arrieta are that much of an upgrade.

BTW...do we know for sure that basically Strop had to be on the roster. By that I mean, we know we added some guys who were not on our active roster on Aug 31st to the playoff roster. Do we know there wasn't a roster crunch in that regard and thats basically why Pedro has to stay, because he was on the roster on Aug 31st. I forget who was and wasn't on the roster on Aug 31st. I know Chavez wasn't and he has taken a spot of somone who was on the DL. Anybody else??? I know Arrieta was not on the roster on Aug 31st. Not sure about Steve.

Steve was on the roster on Aug 31.

Hunter was not.

It's hard to buy that Johnson is hurt enough to keep him off the roster when he was warming up to replace Saunders when he had some early trouble in the WC game.

#39 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:03 AM

It's hard to buy that Johnson is hurt enough to keep him off the roster when he was warming up to replace Saunders when he had some early trouble in the WC game.

Good point...

#40 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:10 PM

Steve was on the roster on Aug 31.

Hunter was not.

The WC game was a little different though, they only had certain pitchers available because they were trying to save some for the ALDS. I could see them throwing SJ for a couple innings at less than 100%, but then deciding they don't need him in the ALDS less than 100%. Not sure really, just trying to make sense out of it.

It's more likely that Buck trusts the veterans more than the rookies (he's got a reputation for that) and when he had to choose went with the veterans.
@JeremyMStrain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=