SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:27 PM

Edit to Mine:

Chicago Cubs as well, add them to my second tier so to speak.

@beginthebegin71

#42 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:51 PM

OMG. Must bite tongue.

This is actually the best trolling you guys have ever done.

#43 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:55 PM

OMG. Must bite tongue.

I'm honestly curious what your thoughts are on Auburn being a 2nd tier favorite team of mine?

#44 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:15 PM

I'm honestly curious what your thoughts are on Auburn being a 2nd tier favorite team of mine?

I understand the commradery of hanging with friends and enjoying that aspect of it.

#45 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:46 PM

OMG. Must bite tongue.

To me, what you're talking about makes more sense if you had a great friend that was really into a sport you didn't have a team in, say one of the major soccer leagues, and then you starting getting into it so you just went with that team too. That or as a very casual rooting interest. It's hard for me to imagine getting really into a team in a sport which I already have a team that I'm a legit fan of, just because one of my friends is also into them and we watch the games. That sounds more like something a girlfriend does with her mans team. ;) But that's just me.

#46 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:48 PM

To me, what you're talking about makes more sense if you had a great friend that was really into a sport you didn't have a team in, say one of the major soccer leagues, and then you starting getting into it so you just went with that team too. That or as a very casual rooting interest. It's hard for me to imagine getting really into a team in a sport which I already have a team that I'm a legit fan of, just because one of my friends is also into them and we watch the games. That sounds more like something a girlfriend does with her mans team. ;) But that's just me.

I hear ya.... but really, it's like getting to root for a team who has a chance, in addition to rooting for my Terps who... don't. 

#47 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:50 PM

Yeah, well sadly you could have applied that same logic to baseball and basketball for most of your adult life.<br />

#48 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:52 PM

Yeah, well sadly you could have applied that same logic to baseball and basketball for most of your adult life.<br />

Well, this is true... but I don't have any friends who would try to persuade me from my O's love affair, so that'd just never happen. Same with the Ravens really. Terps Basketball is such a strong fandom that I can't root for Auburn basketball, for instance. But Terps Football, there was never a very strong bond there anyway. They are my #1 team, I care a lot about them... but I don't love them enough to discourage me from also enjoying Auburn.

#49 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,010 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:05 PM

Orioles<br />Terps Basketball<br />Ravens<br />Terps Football<br /><br />I don't have any other tiers.

#50 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:06 PM

That's sort of the case here, since Auburn almost NEVER plays Maryland. Even though Ricker's style isn't for me, I get his allegiance to Auburn through his friend. I don't think I could ever adopt a team like that but I could see myself having a nominal SEC team, if I got in that kind of situation. Probably more like if I moved to like Atlanta and started pulling for UGA (just using this as an example). My cousin actually is more turned off by the SEC (and college sports in general) as a result of his move to Birmingham, he thinks they take it too far.

And the difference I see here is these teams directly compete against each other and the level of competition gap between the Maryland/Auburn in a year like this and two pro teams is greater with the former. 

Well, this is true... but I don't have any friends who would try to persuade me from my O's love affair, so that'd just never happen. Same with the Ravens really. Terps Basketball is such a strong fandom that I can't root for Auburn basketball, for instance. But Terps Football, there was never a very strong bond there anyway. They are my #1 team, I care a lot about them... but I don't love them enough to discourage me from also enjoying Auburn.

One thing I don't really understand logically speaking is how you can root for college X in one sport and not root (or root for another team) for them in another sport. For example, I've met Michigan people who are Michigan football fans but Michigan State bball fans (figures). I know someone else who is a Duke bball fan and Miami football fan. Basically, you're admitting to being on the bandwagon. I mean I'm not saying you should be the same level fan of Auburn basketball as Auburn football, but how often are you going to be conflicted? I could've sworn you said that you were an Auburn bball fan earlier, but not to the same level as football.

@levineps

#51 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:18 PM

I do pull for Auburn hoops... but just don't care as much. And I don't care as much about Auburn football as Maryland football. It's just fun being apart of a hardcore Auburn family and having fun with that each Saturday. It's seriously crazy.

#52 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:20 PM

This is a fun thread, and a great idea by whoever started it..

But it's pretty hysterical how we're analyzing each others rooting interest.

@beginthebegin71

#53 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:21 PM

Haha, yeah... I'm having fun with it. Because ultimately I don't care at all. I have my reasons, they're valid, I'm good... just fun to see where people's heads are at with it sometimes.
  • SBTarheel likes this

#54 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:23 PM

Who would start such a thread? Actually that guy was inspired from another thread earlier in the day.

@levineps

#55 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:24 PM

Haha, yeah... I'm having fun with it. Because ultimately I don't care at all. I have my reasons, they're valid, I'm good... just fun to see where people's heads are at with it sometimes.

Any reason that anyone roots for a team is valid as far as I'm concerned.. Root for your teams, have fun with it! It's just sports!!

@beginthebegin71

#56 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:25 PM

Who would start such a thread? Actually that guy was inspired from another thread earlier in the day.

Good call!

I love lists!

@beginthebegin71

#57 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:26 PM

I do pull for Auburn hoops... but just don't care as much. And I don't care as much about Auburn football as Maryland football. It's just fun being apart of a hardcore Auburn family and having fun with that each Saturday. It's seriously crazy.

Yeah it sounds cool and everything, I wouldn't want to be an Auburn fan but it sounds like a fun experience.

Fandom is always a fun thing to talk about, we're all hypocrites more or less here. I mean why is everyone more of a UMD basketball fan than a UMD football fan here (with the exception of Zack to my knowledge)?

@levineps

#58 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:31 PM

Hypocrites?

Why?

@beginthebegin71

#59 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:33 PM

Any reason that anyone roots for a team is valid as far as I'm concerned.. Root for your teams, have fun with it! It's just sports!!

I guess I'm more like Nickle on this despite the hard time I give him. Now, I'm more understanding of differing circumstances than him, but I don't think all reasons are valid for rooting for a team. Bandwagoning is not valid IMO. Now to your last line, that's true, which is why I mostly just give people a hard time over such digressions. Also, it's perfectly fine to have serious and even heated conversations about sports. Hell, you even dropped the F bomb the other day in a sports conversation. ;)
  • SBTarheel likes this

#60 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:35 PM

For me fandom is the communities I'm connected to. I grew up an O's fan because my dad was a fan of them and he was a fan because there was no DC baseball team and probably to a lesser extent since my mom is from Baltimore. I wasn't much of a Redskins fan, but my uncles got me into the Ravens since they invited me to Ravens games -- I still have a Shannon Sharpe jersey from a birthday or holiday. I'm a Terps fan since I lived in Maryland my whole life and my mom went there. And naturally when I went to Colorado, I became a Buffs fan. I'm a Wizards/Caps fan by default, they just happen to be the teams closest to me.

People can do what they want in this regard. It wouldn't be the same for me if I just renounced the Orioles and started rooting for the Dodgers or Giants because they could contend on a yearly basis. 

@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=