#41 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:07 AM

Only thing that really bothers me is that he didn't let know Dan Gilbert know in advance, that's just the right thing to do. Also, he should've taken an ad out in the Plain-Dealer to thank the fans for their support and how would always be a Cav.

That would've softened the blow, but you'd still see people say things like "Jordan would've never left the Bulls." (not counting his Wizards tenure) If the Bulls, couldn't win a championship who knows. LBJ was in a no-win position here IMO, if he stays with the Cavs and don't win, he'll always be regarded as "the best loser."

It would have leaked out, which would not have been good for ratings, obviously. 

The show, and the fact that he left just gave fodder for the haters, nothing more, nothing less. 

In retrospect, I'm guessing he wouldn't have done it. 

@beginthebegin71

#42 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:11 AM

It would have leaked out, which would not have been good for ratings, obviously. 

The show, and the fact that he left just gave fodder for the haters, nothing more, nothing less. 

In retrospect, I'm guessing he wouldn't have done it. 

It had already leaked out he was choosing Miami and like I said when you turned it on it was quite obvious. People still would've watched regardless since baseball is so boring after all.

It took him like two years to call "The Decision" so yeah in retrospect he probably wouldn't have done it.

@levineps

#43 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:15 AM

It had already leaked out he was choosing Miami and like I said when you turned it on it was quite obvious. People still would've watched regardless since baseball is so boring after all.

It took him like two years to call "The Decision" so yeah in retrospect he probably wouldn't have done it.

Baseball rules! 

This year will be far less of a production..Hopefully, it'll be a press release saying he's going to Cleveland or back to Miami and that'll be that. 

@beginthebegin71

#44 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:18 AM

Baseball rules! 

This year will be far less of a production..Hopefully, it'll be a press release saying he's going to Cleveland or back to Miami and that'll be that. 

Because if he did it on TV, it would've been the worst thing ever.

@levineps

#45 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:25 AM

Because if he did it on TV, it would've been the worst thing ever.

Hyperbole is worse than Hitler. 

@beginthebegin71

#46 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:57 PM

Doing the TV show was obviously bad for his PR, but he was actually giving the people what they want, especially the haters. It gave them an opportunity to curse at the screen and it gives them an excuse to hate him, even if they have to blow it out of proportion to do so.
  • Oriole85 likes this

#47 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:59 PM

Doing the TV show was obviously bad for his PR, but he was actually giving the people what they want, especially the haters. It gave them an opportunity to curse at the screen and it gives them an excuse to hate him, even if they have to blow it out of proportion to do so.

Good assessment of the situation here.

@levineps

#48 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:04 PM

I think the Clippers make a lot of sense for LeBron, especially if he's willing to take a substantial pay cut before they can pay him more the following year. That sacrifice in pay could allow the Clips to keep Jordan, who along with Paul (one of LeBron's best friends), Griffin, and Reddick, would form a fantastic starting 5. If they could get some solid role players, they'd be very hard to beat. No question James would be ripped for this, but in the long run, if he wins it well help his legacy and obviously winning is more fun than not.

#49 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:07 PM

I guarantee if you had stood a chance to move up in a company and get a better pay vs what you have now, you would leave too...Guess you are a mercenary as well.

Such a bad anology. The Heat can give him as much money as anyone else and finally a true legacy for one franchise. You move around to 3-4 different places in your career you never get a true legacy linked to one or maybe two franchises. Look at Nolan Ryan or even Reggie Jackson. HOF players. Have their numbers retired by 3 different teams but not linked to one team.

Oh and comparing LBJ to any other pro athlete and lumping them in as mercs is completely dense too. LeBron can go anywhere in the world to play basketball that he wants. He has the pull to get anything he wants and close to anyone he wants to play with him. So saying he is like every other athlete is preposterous. Other athletes don't have nearly the options or pull he has in these decisions.

That's why we got this Decision thread dedicated solely to him. Besides, the better you are as a player and once you get to the point of having a real legacy as a player, this shit matters to people.  I'll say again, give me a great basketball player, or any athlete,  who bounced around 3-4 different places in his career when he was at the height of his reign. Sure, guys move on and end up going 3-4 different places once they are at the tail end of their career and are not the central figures on their teams, let alone the best player in the league. That's apples and oranges.

The proof is in the pudding. Cerrano said Im the only one who makes a big deal about legacy and moving on to 3-4 different places in a career and how that is perceived. Well, we haven't even got into the heart of this "decision" and Ive already heard the legacy discussion bantered about at least 4 times on different media shows/outlets. Its obviously a valid topic in play here ,or you wouldn't have media outlets discussing and debating it.

#50 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,480 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:15 PM

Such a bad anology. The Heat can give him as much money as anyone else and finally a true legacy for one franchise. You move around to 3-4 different places in your career you never get a true legacy linked to one or maybe two franchises. Look at Nolan Ryan or even Reggie Jackson. HOF players. Have their numbers retired by 3 different teams but not linked to one team.

The good thing about America is... he doesn't have to get a "true legacy" or do what everyone else wants him to do or what they think is right for him. He can and should do what he wants. Just like Manny will do what he wants in a few years, just like Wieters will do what he wants, Davis, etc. There isn't a price tag in the world that would make me conform to what all the haters wanted me to do.

#51 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:24 PM

The good thing about America is... he doesn't have to get a "true legacy" or do what everyone else wants him to do or what they think is right for him. He can and should do what he wants. Just like Manny will do what he wants in a few years, just like Wieters will do what he wants, Davis, etc. There isn't a price tag in the world that would make me conform to what all the haters wanted me to do.

That's fine, but don't bitch in 20 years when the perception and your legacy is not necessarily what you wanted or had hoped.

Because once your playing days are over, the next generation and the next generation view you through the eyes of those who write and tells the stories now.

#52 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,480 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:29 PM

That's fine, but don't bitch in 20 years when the perception and your legacy is not necessarily what you wanted or had hoped.

Because once your playing days are over, the next generation and the next generation view you through the eyes of those who write and tells the stories now.

Who cares. The true fans will know how great he was. That's all LeBron can control, and he sems to understand that, which is healthy. Flacco better start showing some emotion and facilitating team workouts in the off-season, otherwise, future generations will view him as a lazy, overpaid inconsistent QB.

#53 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:31 PM

In fact, that reminds me of what used to be Webers sig over at the Hangout. It was something to the effect of " Jordan  was not as great or infalible  as everyone says or remembers".

He wasn't wrong, and  we were less than 15 years out from his reign. That tells you about the strength of perception and legacy and how it builds and builds as the years go on.

#54 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:34 PM

Who cares. The true fans will know how great he was. That's all LeBron can control, and he sems to understand that, which is healthy. Flacco better start showing some emotion and facilitating team workouts in the off-season, otherwise, future generations will view him as a lazy, overpaid inconsistent QB.

LOL, and this is the point above. Nobody is going to care about FLacco in 20 years and we're talking about a SB winning QB. Maybe a multiple time SB winning QB. Outside shot at being a HOFer, but it doesn't matter either way.

We're talking the cream of the crop elite. The Teir 1 HOFers of the HOFers of their sports. The lesser you are as a player, the less these things matter. That's why Robs analogy was so apples to oranges in comparing him to your basic pro athlete.

Nobody cares if Aubrey Huff leaves the Os. They care a little more and have stronger feeling when it's BROb, even stronger feelings when it was Mussina. Would have been in another universe had Cal left Baltimore. Same thing applies on a national level for these athletes.

#55 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,480 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:35 PM

LOL, and this is the point above. Nobody is going to care about FLacco in 20 years and we're talking about a SB winning QB. Maybe a multiple time SB winning QB. Outside shot at being a HOFer, but it doesn't matter either way.

We're talking the cream of the crop elite. The Teir 1 HOFers of the HOFers of their sports. The lesser you are as a player, the less these things matter. That's why Robs analogy was so apples to oranges in comparing him to your basic pro athlete.

Admittedly, that's actually true enough. I guess only Baltimoreans would have those debates 20 years from now.

#56 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 June 2014 - 05:14 PM

This is such a stupid argument.

I hope LeBron leaves just so Branden can cry about it more.
  • Pedro Cerrano likes this

#57 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 07:32 PM

Most of the haters aren't exactly the type that he or any intelligent, big NBA fan would respect the opinion of anyway. But as has been said already, his legacy will be better for winning two titles than none with the Cavs if that's what would have happened and it will be better if he goes elsewhere to win more titles assuming he wouldn't win with Miami in the immediate future.

#58 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 07:35 PM

In fact, that reminds me of what used to be Webers sig over at the Hangout. It was something to the effect of " Jordan  was not as great or infalible  as everyone says or remembers".

He wasn't wrong, and  we were less than 15 years out from his reign. That tells you about the strength of perception and legacy and how it builds and builds as the years go on.

If Lebron ends up with 4+ titles, the better parts of his career will likely be emphasized and exaggerated 20+ years from now while the bad moments will be minimized. At least by the majority.

#59 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 07:59 PM

I hope he leaves too.

I won't have to worry about another " decision" for at least 3 years.

#60 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,156 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:13 PM

If Bosh and Wade don't opt out, he should absolutely leave.

The only thought he should have is what is going to be the best team to surround me the next x amount of years.

Some will continue to like him, some will continue to not.

He has all the $ and accolades in the world. The only thing that could possibly interest him is winning and playing for titles.

• BSLMikeLowe likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=