6/16: 2 for 3, 2 bb's, 1 steal

#82 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,235 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:59 PM

Pete Michaud ‏@TidesRadioVoice

@NorfolkTides beat Toledo @MudHens , 5-1. Avery has 3h, HR, 3r. Tillman has 8k in 5.1ip for the win.

#83 hslaw0905

hslaw0905
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:44 PM

With the loss of Reimold, the O's have a big hole in LF. Steve Pearce is not an everyday answer, and I can't imagine a healthy Endy Chavez would be either. At what point to the O's reevaluate Avery's readiness and bring him back up to take LF for the rest of the season?

His line in the month of June has been pretty impressive especially when you see the OBP over .400. The team right now is lacking speed, defense, and the ability to reach base. Doesn't Xavier answer all of them? Why not give him LF after the all star break and plug him into the #2 hole in the lineup behind Brob (or at the bottom of the lineup to take a little pressure off if you'd like)?

I know we saw a pretty raw player when he was up in May, but it looks like he's gone down and really worked on some of the facets of his game that I imagine the O's asked him to. With the way the lineup is currently constructed with a lot power, I think he fits a role much better than trading for a guy like Soriano would.

What does everyone think?

By the way, I'm a long time lurker on here, and other boards, but figured it was time to make the first post!
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#84 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:15 PM

With the loss of Reimold, the O's have a big hole in LF. Steve Pearce is not an everyday answer, and I can't imagine a healthy Endy Chavez would be either. At what point to the O's reevaluate Avery's readiness and bring him back up to take LF for the rest of the season?

His line in the month of June has been pretty impressive especially when you see the OBP over .400. The team right now is lacking speed, defense, and the ability to reach base. Doesn't Xavier answer all of them? Why not give him LF after the all star break and plug him into the #2 hole in the lineup behind Brob (or at the bottom of the lineup to take a little pressure off if you'd like)?

I know we saw a pretty raw player when he was up in May, but it looks like he's gone down and really worked on some of the facets of his game that I imagine the O's asked him to. With the way the lineup is currently constructed with a lot power, I think he fits a role much better than trading for a guy like Soriano would.

What does everyone think?

By the way, I'm a long time lurker on here, and other boards, but figured it was time to make the first post!

First off, Welcome man! There's an introductions section down towards the bottom of the board, feel free to introduce yourself to everyone!

I tend to agree with your thoughts on Avery. I thought he showed some nice things while up here. In comparison to some of the other options at this point (Pearce, Chavez), I think Avery could very well be the best one right now. Seems like he could be a solid #9 hitter right now. Even whenever his overall results started going downhill, I thought he was still having good at bats, seeing a solid number of pitches. I feel like perhaps I was a little bit higher on him than others, maybe higher than I should have been, but I'd be supportive of him being brought up and given everyday ABs in LF right now.
  • Greg Pappas likes this

@AdamWolff

#85 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:44 PM

http://orioles-natio... ... -his-spot/

I've been watching him closely the past couple weeks.
  • Oriole85 likes this

#86 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,481 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:08 PM

Nice read. I think it just goes to show that sometimes the lights go on and their trajectory changes. As you alluded to, he wasn't very patient, but learning to lay off junk and recognize off speed stuff can make a world of difference. I'm glad to have him back in Baltimore, he was a lot of fun to watch in May.

It's also nice that they're bringing him up and putting him in the lineup when he's hitting well. When he went down, he struggled a bit (understandable), but he's since turned it around. Roch dropped the stats in a tweet earlier:

Over his last 11 games, Xavier Avery has hit .333 (14-for-42) with eight walks, five stolen bases and 11 runs scored at AAA Norfolk.

#87 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,827 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:10 PM

Hopefully he can have the sort of at bats he had right after he was called up. He started seeing a lot more junk after a week or two, and he really struggled with it. He got things going again down in AAA, so I'm optimistic. I was very impressed with his approach at the plate the first week or two he was in Baltimore, hope to see him repeat that more often than not.

#88 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,481 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:15 PM

XMan is back in Baltimore. He's done well his last 11 games or so, and with the injury to Johnson, this made sense. Time to move this thread back to the "O's Player Talk" forum! ;)

#89 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:16 PM

Good to see him doing well again in Norfolk, and getting another chance. Hopefully it is a measure of what he learned in his major-league stint earlier in the year, and not just having success against the lesser competition.

I'm excited to have him back.

#90 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:31 PM

They have been throwing him a ton of junk down in AAA since his return. He's still striking out some(Probably will continue to strike out a little too much, but it is livable), but you can tell something clicked.

I think he's a spark for this lineup.
It's been a fun ride watching him develop. Hope the success continues now with the orioles.

#91 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,568 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:57 PM

Maybe it's just my dog ownership coloring my lenses, but I read this post and thought, "what, X is peeing to mark his territory?"

#92 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:58 PM

fGx6K90TmCI
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#93 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:58 PM

Maybe it's just my dog ownership coloring my lenses, but I read this post and thought, "what, X is peeing to mark his territory?"

LOL!

#94 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:32 PM

A LOT of weird things happen in baseball clubhouses.

#95 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,481 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:53 AM

It was great to see X get a hit and a SB in his return. He started heating up in the SB department in Norfolk prior to his call-up, I would love to see more of this. We could really use that at the top of our lineup.

#96 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,481 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:21 PM

X Man came through with his first career home run this evening to give the O's a 2-run lead in the bottom of the 8th. Congratulations X!

#97 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:31 PM

X Man came through with his first career home run this evening to give the O's a 2-run lead in the bottom of the 8th. Congratulations X!

Showed some nice opposite field power!

@AdamWolff

#98 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:18 AM

Hope he got the ball... looked like one CLE fan was telling the other CLE fan who got it to throw it back...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#99 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,481 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:55 AM

Hope he got the ball... looked like one CLE fan was telling the other CLE fan who got it to throw it back...

Roch reported last night that an Orioles official was able to retrieve the ball from the fan. Xavier seems like a real class act, I hope he carves out a career here.

http://www.masnsport... ... -spot.html

#100 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:06 AM

Roch reported last night that an Orioles official was able to retrieve the ball from the fan. Xavier seems like a real class act, I hope he carves out a career here.

http://www.masnsport... ... -spot.html

Completely agree. What a likable guy. If he can establish himself here, he fills a real need for the O's. The homerun ball is great and all, but it would be really nice to know you have a guy who can get on base, steal some bases and put pressure on the pitcher in a different fashion.

@AdamWolff

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=