115 replies to this topic

#61 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 01:50 AM

What I said is that the folks judging him on a couple of weeks were not being realistic.

Actually, this is exactly what you said. Folks that saw him for a couple weeks and had visions of him being a long term solution in left were not being realistic.

So maybe it wasn't clear but that's what you said. So then I guess you are saying that Avery COULD be a long term solution but we shouldn't draw that conclusion from his first two weeks in the bigs?

#62 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:14 AM

What I said is that the folks judging him on a couple of weeks were not being realistic.

Actually, this is exactly what you said. Folks that saw him for a couple weeks and had visions of him being a long term solution in left were not being realistic.

So maybe it wasn't clear but that's what you said. So then I guess you are saying that Avery COULD be a long term solution but we shouldn't draw that conclusion from his first two weeks in the bigs?

Yes, that is what I am saying. That a two week sample size is insufficient.

I personally do not think he has the offense to be a long term answer in left but he does have that potential.

Well I hear Linda Ronstadt is looking for a guitar player.

#63 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:23 PM

I think with a larger sample size coming through other teams seeing more video and scouting on him, we're starting to see the true value of him. He might not be much more than a 4th OF if even that. But given the lack of other options with Reimold on the DL, I don't mind giving him more PT. Bottomline if he's not the answer, the O's are bare minimum need a suitable backup LF, you can't trust Reimold to stay healthy.
@levineps

#64 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,555 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:01 PM

Along with Hunter.

Looks like the 3-30 slump he was in did him in. Have a feeling he will be back sooner rather than later.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#65 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:04 PM

Along with Hunter.

Looks like the 3-30 slump he was in did him in. Have a feeling he will be back sooner rather than later.

Do you have a link for this? I'm not finding the info anywhere (that I normally look anyway, orioles.com - masn - mlbtraderumors).

I don't feel bad about Hunter being sent down if we're calling Steve Johnson up since he has that out clause if he's not added to the 40-man by June 1st.

As for Avery - once he learns to bunt he'll be fine.

#66 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,555 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:08 PM

Sorry.

Link
http://www.masnsport... ... um=twitter

@bopper33

#67 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,481 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Along with Hunter.

Do you have a link for this? I'm not finding the info anywhere (that I normally look anyway, orioles.com - masn - mlbtraderumors).

I don't feel bad about Hunter being sent down if we're calling Steve Johnson up since he has that out clause if he's not added to the 40-man by June 1st.

I saw Roch tweet it. Miguel Gonzalez brought up and added as the 40th man on the 40 man roster, and Endy Chavez activated from the DL.

#68 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,555 posts

Gotta be honest, don't know a ton about Miguel Gonzalez.

@bopper33

#69 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

http://www.masnsport... ... um=twitter

#70 fan4life

fan4life
  • Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:14 PM

Along with Hunter.

MASN has it now. This one thing that has to make you feel a little better about how management is running the show now as compared to in the past. They don't hesitate to jettison poor performers to the MiL and plugin another option.

#71 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:43 PM

This one thing that has to make you feel a little better about how management is running the show now as compared to in the past. They don't hesitate to jettison poor performers to the MiL and plugin another option.

I agree with your point, but I would word it differently. It's not so much jettisoning people as it is using the resources at hand to make the best use of the 25 spots you have. It's good roster management in way that includes who's doing how well on the farm at the moment and includes the team's immediate needs over the next several games. It's not a case of jettisoning Avery, it's a case of moving him down for Right Now due to the totality of circumstances. Those circumstances include how he's hitting at the moment, but it's not just that and probably not even mainly that.

I bet Buck made sure Avery knows he's not being jettisoned. I bet he also made sure Avery knows what Buck wants him to work on while he's in Norfolk.

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#72 fan4life

fan4life
  • Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:54 PM

This one thing that has to make you feel a little better about how management is running the show now as compared to in the past. They don't hesitate to jettison poor performers to the MiL and plugin another option.

I agree with your point, but I would word it differently. It's not so much jettisoning people as it is using the resources at hand to make the best use of the 25 spots you have. It's good roster management in way that includes who's doing how well on the farm at the moment and includes the team's immediate needs over the next several games. It's not a case of jettisoning Avery, it's a case of moving him down for Right Now due to the totality of circumstances. Those circumstances include how he's hitting at the moment, but it's not just that and probably not even mainly that.

I bet Buck made sure Avery knows he's not being jettisoned. I bet he also made sure Avery knows what Buck wants him to work on while he's in Norfolk.

I get your point. I was using jettisoned to reflect being sent down for poor performance. In the past we would have stuck with Hunter, Avery etc and lived with the results. Which speaks to the depth we now have that you mentioned.

#73 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:10 PM

He played himself back to AAA. Personally, I'd like to have a look at Hoes over Avery next time we need a LF from within the organization.

#74 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:12 PM

I get your point. I was using jettisoned to reflect being sent down for poor performance. In the past we would have stuck with Hunter, Avery etc and lived with the results. Which speaks to the depth we now have that you mentioned.

I think it's kinda iffy whether that's why Avery was sent down. Hunter, sure. But I'm guessing the main reason Avery went down is because the other guy is coming off the DL. I bet Avery was going down even if he was doing fine. Maybe not if he was hitting .400 but I bet he was going down if he was doing OK lately. I bet his last X AB's isn't really why...

(Not that I really know, of course...)

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#75 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:57 PM

I think it's kinda iffy whether that's why Avery was sent down. Hunter, sure. But I'm guessing the main reason Avery went down is because the other guy is coming off the DL. I bet Avery was going down even if he was doing fine. Maybe not if he was hitting .400 but I bet he was going down if he was doing OK lately. I bet his last X AB's isn't really why...

(Not that I really know, of course...)

Yeah I think they sent him down to play every day, and it was their plan from the beginning. It was a good first showing though.
@JeremyMStrain

#76 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,157 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:16 AM

PressBox: Advice to X: Dare to be Daring
http://www.pressboxo...ory.cfm?id=9000

#77 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,157 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:41 AM

Since heading back to AAA:

9 for 37, 1 double, 1 rbi, 4 bb's, 7 k's, 3 bb's

#78 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,157 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:20 PM

6/8: 2 for 4, rbi, bb

#79 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:06 PM

X is not giving it to anyone in the minors right now.

.184 over his last 10.

@AdamWolff

#80 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:39 PM

X is not giving it to anyone in the minors right now.

.184 over his last 10.

Yet we're still hearing suggestions to promote him over Flaherty, Pearce, Endy, etc. I'd let him succeed in the minors before promoting him back up here.
@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=