481 replies to this topic

#41 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,151 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 06:39 PM

Just because they have a need doesn't mean they should reach for a player who isn't worthy of a high pick.

The Redskins have a long track record of optimizing their draft picks?

#42 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 11 February 2015 - 07:30 PM

The Redskins have a long track record of optimizing their draft picks?

Well they just brought on a new GM who has a pretty good track record.
@gabefergy

#43 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,300 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 12:23 PM

Well they just brought on a new GM who has a pretty good track record.

I could see them going Ray or Gregory if available. Even if those two teams pass. He's a first round talent. He's every bit the prospect Mark Barron was, and his only really bad weakness has been man to man coverage. I would bet you whatever you wanted, barring an injury or something off the field, the man is gone by 32.

#44 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 12 February 2015 - 07:52 PM

I could see them going Ray or Gregory if available. Even if those two teams pass. He's a first round talent. He's every bit the prospect Mark Barron was, and his only really bad weakness has been man to man coverage. I would bet you whatever you wanted, barring an injury or something off the field, the man is gone by 32.

How did Mark Barron turn out? I think Collins probably goes in the first round. There are a lot of players who will go in the first round of this draft who probably shouldn't, but someone has to go.

@gabefergy

#45 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,300 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 07:43 AM

How did Mark Barron turn out? I think Collins probably goes in the first round. There are a lot of players who will go in the first round of this draft who probably shouldn't, but someone has to go.

Mark Barron turned out to be a top 10 pick with a lot of upside he unfortunately didn't live up to. Thanks for proving my point. Regardless of how you feel about him, he'll be gone on day one. I know you are very opinionated, but if you're making a serious mock draft, you cannot leave out obvious first rounders because you don't like them. And then be expected to be taken seriously.

#46 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 February 2015 - 08:45 AM

Why is that?

HEs a system QB.

He was able to throw to wide open receivers in college.  The NFL game will be totally different.

What I am wondering is will he get to the combine and his pro day and we see him start to slip in the eyes of some.

In all likelihood, he would only slip so far because the Eagles will go after him but I don't think he has a lot of upside as a pro unless he goes to a team and they design a system like the one he had.  I am just not sure that he has the talent where you do something like that.

#47 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 February 2015 - 08:47 AM

Winston is the much better pro prospect from purely a  skill perspective. 

Yea, its not all that close until you bring the off the field stuff into play.  That really hurts Winston.

But on the field?  Yea, I don't see how Mariota is close to him and  many of the people I have heard comparing them seem to feel the same way.

#48 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,564 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 13 February 2015 - 09:20 AM

I think Winston is the best talent at QB since Luck. Which is why he's still a consensus top pick even despite the off-field crap.

#49 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 February 2015 - 09:23 AM

I think Winston is the best talent at QB since Luck. Which is why he's still a consensus top pick even despite the off-field crap.

Yep.

His off the field stuff hurts him but his teammates loved him and no one questioned his the on the field leadership either.

Now, he has to realize that as a QB, what you do at all times is a reflection on you and your organization and because of that, he needs to stop with his immature BS and get his head on straight.

Some of the stuff that he did i meaningless and was blown up because of who he is IMO and I don't think some of it needs to be held against him.

#50 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 09:24 AM

Hes definitely the best pro style QB prospect since Luck.

#51 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 12:35 PM

All I can think about is that 2006 Rose Bowl where Vince Young totally outshined and pwned every single player on the USC team.   He was clearly the most dominant player in college football, even though he didn't get the hardware.   He came to the NFL and cracked.  Is anyone not expecting the same from Winston?   Winston is an absolutely dominant college football player.  But is he ready to be the CEO of an NFL offense?

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#52 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,318 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 01:53 PM

He isn't perfect on the football field either. His decision making is very questionable both on and off the field. I've also heard some scouts call into question his mechanics.

#53 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 02:09 PM

He has flaws but he's in a pro style system. That makes a big difference to me right there. He's also got all the physical tools. It will be all about the decision making at the next level, but he's ahead of the curve on most QB prospects entering the draft nowadays.

#54 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 February 2015 - 03:32 PM

Some of the INTs are also overblown.

#55 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 13 February 2015 - 05:48 PM

You guys are overblowing the importance of coming from a pro system. Every single USC QB coming out has been in a pro system and flopped in the NFL with the exception of Palmer.

There are plenty of QBs that come from a spread system and still do well. It might take some more adjustment is all.

There are a lot of things on the field that Mariota does better than Winston.
@gabefergy

#56 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 13 February 2015 - 05:49 PM

Some of the INTs are also overblown.

Also lots of dropped Ints.
@gabefergy

#57 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,318 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 06:08 PM

Also lots of dropped Ints.

And a lot of throws that would be ints in the league since the DBs aren't as clueless. Even ours.

#58 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,529 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 10:45 AM

CBS Sports: 2015 NFL Draft: Interior D-line candidates looking better all the time

http://www.cbssports...er-all-the-time

#59 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,529 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 10:49 AM

Fansided: Mayock's Top 5 per position

http://fansided.com/...ition-rankings/

#60 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner