546 replies to this topic

#81 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 11:13 AM

It appeared NBCSN was having some problems on Comcast (ha!), though perhaps it was just in my area. It seems to be fine now. Match update: there are lots of empty seats, the Swedish kits are very yellow, and the South African kits are very green. Nil-nil in the 13th minute.

#82 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 11:22 AM

Also, Sweden's kits are made by H&M.

#83 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 12:36 PM

Horrendous goalkeeping and defending from South Africa lead to a Swedish goal off a corner, in the 75th minute.

#84 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 12:54 PM

First Olympic result in the books: in women's football Group E play, Sweden 1 (Fischer - 75'), South Africa 0.

#85 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 01:07 PM

Canada and Australia underway. The Australians kicked off the match and were going through a series of backpasses, followed by a lateral pass designed to finally get the ball moving forward. Canadian captain Christine Sinclair intercepted that last pass at the last instant and put a cross to Janine Beckie, who gave Canada the lead 19 seconds into the match.

#86 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 02:36 PM

Australian keeper saves a penalty kick in the 73rd, then takes a knock on the ensuing corner. Poorly taken PK after a poor penalty call, so fitting.

#87 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 02:43 PM

Brutal mistake from Australian keeper Lydia Williams. As Sinclair is fed on a run, Williams streaks toward MIDFIELD to try to challenge her, instead of letting one of her defenders (both were behind, but at least one was sort of speedy) try to catch her, or challenging later. All Sinclair had to do was make a quick move around her on the Australian side of the center circle, and avoid the defenders to score from 30 yards. Incredible. In the 80th, the Canadian lead doubles.

#88 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 12:49 AM

The US women defeated New Zealand, 2-0, through Carli Lloyd (9') and Alex Morgan (46'). The goal at the beginning of the Canadian match is now the earliest-scored goal in the history of Olympic football, and from what I've seen is being credited as scored at the 20-second mark of the game.

#89 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,742 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 04 August 2016 - 07:38 AM

I love me some international Soccer, but I can't get excited for Olympic Soccer when there's already the World Cup.

#90 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 09:07 AM

I love me some international Soccer, but I can't get excited for Olympic Soccer when there's already the World Cup.

For much of the world, the World Cup already *is* the Olympics....

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#91 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 11:25 AM

Exactly the way FIFA wants it, and I don't know why the IOC keeps bowing on the men's side in so many different ways, but both organizations are corrupt as fuck, so.... You could look at the men's tournament as a future or budding stars sort of thing, perhaps, since it's mainly U-23. The women's teams can be the regular full teams, so that tournament is more representative. Currently there are only 12 teams, like the Women's World Cup was at the beginning, but expansion is likely in the near future, probably to 16 teams - equal with the current number in the men's tournament, and that of the WWC from 1999-2011.

• DuffMan likes this

#92 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 04:11 PM

An infographic of the 100m sprint world records (men's and women's). Scroll to the bottom to see the earliest.

http://www.bbc.com/s...ympics/36952449

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#93 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 08:07 PM

Deadspin: Handball Is The Best Olympic Sport You Don't Know Shit About

• Chris B likes this

#94 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 09:12 PM

Handball has always been something I've watched when on in the Olympics. Looks like a ton.of fun

#95 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 04 August 2016 - 09:31 PM

An infographic of the 100m sprint world records (men's and women's). Scroll to the bottom to see the earliest.

http://www.bbc.com/s...ympics/36952449

If Florence Griffith Joyner was sent back in time to 1912 she would have been the fastest person on earth according to that graphic. 

I'll add the caveat that her cleats and track suit were surely greatly superior and the actual track likely helped too, but still kind of interesting to stack up the times. 

#96 KWebz

KWebz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 722 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 09:44 PM

Handball has always been something I've watched when on in the Olympics. Looks like a ton.of fun

Same. It's one of my favorites. I wish it was popular in the US Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#97 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:21 AM

Handball is awesome.

#98 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 01:22 PM

Moroccan light heavyweight boxer Hassan Saada has been arrested by Brazilian police, under suspicion that he sexually assaulted two female cleaners in the Olympic Village.

http://www.bbc.com/n...merica-36989897

#99 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:49 PM

I know I'm not the only one watching the opening ceremony.

• Don Quixote likes this
@DJ_McCann

#100 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 05 August 2016 - 09:02 PM

I'm watching
  • Don Quixote likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users