#41 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,410 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 26 April 2016 - 01:28 PM

Yahoo! Sports: With Olympic cleanup canceled, Rio resigned to dirty bay

After Rio won the rights in 2009 to host the Olympics, local officials vowed to clean up Guanabara Bay. But an economic downturn, political instability and a historic corruption scandal left many of the promises made back then, when the country was booming, hopelessly out of reach.

By 2014, Rio authorities had already given up on the cleanup.

Now they are just trying to keep the parts of the bay that Olympic sailors will traverse free from debris that in recent months has included floating refrigerators, couches and even corpses.

If a corpse somehow becomes tethered to one of the race boats, is that team disqualified for having too many crew members?

One silver lining....there should be some pretty good Weekend At Bernie's memes this Olympics.

bernie-lomax-costume-2.jpg

#42 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 07:43 AM

This Might Be the Reason Why Rio Can't Clean Its Shitty Water for the Olympics

uhls8sbsjod8lsibbpri.jpg

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#43 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,410 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 30 May 2016 - 11:27 AM

ESPN: Pau Gasol mulls skipping Olympics because of Zika

#44 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 09:18 PM

ESPN: Pau Gasol mulls skipping Olympics because of Zika

The first baby with a Zika Virus-linked birth defect has been born in the NY Tri-State area.

The mother is 31-years-old and contracted Zika virus while visiting Honduras.

http://abc7ny.com/he...jersey/1364671/

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#45 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 11 June 2016 - 09:50 AM

Study: Rio Olympics Will Expose Athletes To Antibiotics-Resistant Super Bacteria

@DJ_McCann

#46 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 09:06 PM

Deadspin: Rio Declares Financial Emergency, May Not Be Able To Honor Olympic Commitments

@DJ_McCann

#47 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 09:25 AM

Is it plausible on any level for the games to be moved at this point on the calendar?

#48 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 10:50 AM

Is it plausible on any level for the games to be moved at this point on the calendar?

Athletes could just boycott it. I mean what do they get out of it?

If a 15 year old U.S. gymnast wins a gold medal, the U.S. makes them pay taxes on that weight of gold.

Yeah, the Michael Phleps of the world will get bookoo sponsor deals, but what about the other 95% of the athletes that will go unrememberd?

Not sure what other coutries do. I think some Asian countries have a rule that if you win a medal you don't have to fulfil a military requirment. Maybe they go.

They really need to just rotate theae, and World Cups between the U.S., Europe, Canada. Australlia, I suppose Japan, and no where else. Its ridiculous that this stuff keeps happening.

Let's just have it in Syria next time around.
@BSLMikeRandall

#49 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 04:25 PM

Athletes could just boycott it. I mean what do they get out of it?

If a 15 year old U.S. gymnast wins a gold medal, the U.S. makes them pay taxes on that weight of gold.

Yeah, the Michael Phleps of the world will get bookoo sponsor deals, but what about the other 95% of the athletes that will go unrememberd?

Not sure what other coutries do. I think some Asian countries have a rule that if you win a medal you don't have to fulfil a military requirment. Maybe they go.

They really need to just rotate theae, and World Cups between the U.S., Europe, Canada. Australlia, I suppose Japan, and no where else. Its ridiculous that this stuff keeps happening.

Let's just have it in Syria next time around.

The 2022 Winter Olympics are going to be held in noted winter resort Beijing (don't eat the brown snow), mostly because Oslo withdrew their bid and the only other choice was Almaty, Kazakhstan.

Nobody decent is going to want to play with the IOC anymore, unless some real changes happen after Rio. And, unfortunately, I don't think that will happen unless there is a major disaster during the Games.

@DJ_McCann

#50 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 04:39 PM

The 2022 Winter Olympics are going to be held in noted winter resort Beijing (don't eat the brown snow), mostly because Oslo withdrew their bid and the only other choice was Almaty, Kazakhstan.

Nobody decent is going to want to play with the IOC anymore, unless some real changes happen after Rio. And, unfortunately, I don't think that will happen unless there is a major disaster during the Games.

But doesn't the U.S. throw their hat in the ring every time? I seem to remember the Americans always being shown stunned after these big rallies in Chicago and other places who lobby to try to get the games. When somewhere else gets it, American people are floored.

Then they go back to their normal lives about 10 seconds later.
@BSLMikeRandall

#51 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 04:56 PM

But doesn't the U.S. throw their hat in the ring every time? I seem to remember the Americans always being shown stunned after these big rallies in Chicago and other places who lobby to try to get the games. When somewhere else gets it, American people are floored.

Then they go back to their normal lives about 10 seconds later.

I think places are waking up to how much money it costs to do it...  you can say it makes sense for someplace that's not really on the map... but for established places, why bother?   

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#52 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 07:33 PM

I think places are waking up to how much money it costs to do it...  you can say it makes sense for someplace that's not really on the map... but for established places, why bother?   

Thats what I mean though. Places that arent on the map don't have the infrastructure to handle the influx of people. Don't have the venues already in place to host events. These are the ones who end up getting awarded the games. They have to build new stadiums in these places to be used for two weeks. Where as the U.S., Europe, Canada, Australia, Japan, they have the stuff in place already. So it benefits places with the infrastructure already in place.

Say Baltimore/DC gets the games. It shouldn't cost the tax payers a dime. There are stadiums in place. Lodging, all the logistical stuff is mostly in place with the exception of dressing the place up. It would boost what ever host cities economy having hundreds of thousands of people come to town for two or three weeks.

Whereas people aren't going to Rio, defintely not Qatar for the world cup. They have to build a bunch of things they can't afford and will be used likely this one and only time. Then when the people that actually come, leave, the residents are left footing the bill.

Established places should bother, should lobby to host it. They profit by not having to build stuff to host it.

Or am I way off here?
@BSLMikeRandall

#53 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 10:26 PM

Thats what I mean though. Places that arent on the map don't have the infrastructure to handle the influx of people. Don't have the venues already in place to host events. These are the ones who end up getting awarded the games. They have to build new stadiums in these places to be used for two weeks. Where as the U.S., Europe, Canada, Australia, Japan, they have the stuff in place already. So it benefits places with the infrastructure already in place.

Say Baltimore/DC gets the games. It shouldn't cost the tax payers a dime. There are stadiums in place. Lodging, all the logistical stuff is mostly in place with the exception of dressing the place up. It would boost what ever host cities economy having hundreds of thousands of people come to town for two or three weeks.

Whereas people aren't going to Rio, defintely not Qatar for the world cup. They have to build a bunch of things they can't afford and will be used likely this one and only time. Then when the people that actually come, leave, the residents are left footing the bill.

Established places should bother, should lobby to host it. They profit by not having to build stuff to host it.

Or am I way off here?

You're only way off in the sense that the IOC wants them to build all new stuff. Reusing old buildings doesn't generate attention. Or bribes.
  • Mike in STL likes this
@DJ_McCann

#54 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 11:28 PM

As places go, London is pretty established... it's hard to be more established than London... and it cost them $billions of taxpayer money....

They pick the place with the snazziest plans (and bribes)... putting a new coat of paint on existing venues ain't snazzy enough to win...

• Mike in STL likes this

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#55 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 12:11 AM

McIlroy opts out.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/golf/36595631

#56 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 05:10 PM

McIlroy opts out.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/golf/36595631

Day, Spieth, Fowler, Willett, have all been on the fence about it. I wonder if McIlroy being the first domino to fall makes it easier for the other top guys to also step away.
@BSLMikeRandall

#57 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 05:14 PM

Day and Lowry also out.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/golf/36653416

#58 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 05:14 PM

Rio police: 'Welcome to Hell'

http://www.bbc.com/n...ending-36653007

• Mike in STL likes this

#59 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 08:18 AM

What a disaster.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#60 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,737 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 30 June 2016 - 08:04 AM

https://www.theguard...an-us-athletics

Not sure if anyone is familiar with this story, but as T&F fan I've been following along pretty closely.  Happy to see that Skynet (I mean Nike) has backed down and won't obstruct Berian from running at the Trials.

• Don Quixote likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=