#561 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:25 PM

No doubt, but Manny was in the same boat when he first came up as a rookie, playing a new position. I think he freakishly adapted to it so well, you can't expect players to do what he did over there, right off the bat.

Manny was also the third overall pick, arguably the second best player in that draft. It's just not fair to expect Schoop to do Manny-things. Also, Manny was practicing third (quietly) before he was called up.

@levineps

#562 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:27 PM

The general negativity around here is off the charts...We're at .500 without our best player, and we've played 10 of our 18 games against the two teams that played in the ALCS 6 months ago..

My god. 

• Adam Wolff and Icterus galbula like this
@beginthebegin71

#563 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:30 PM

Manny was also the third overall pick, arguably the second best player in that draft. It's just not fair to expect Schoop to do Manny-things. Also, Manny was practicing third (quietly) before he was called up.

Instincts are there whether you are the third pick or 30th pick.

I can expect Schoop to do intelligent, instinctual things.

#564 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:31 PM

The general negativity around here is off the charts...We're at .500 without our best player, and we've played 10 of our 18 games against the two teams that played in the ALCS 6 months ago..

My god. 

THe only reason to truly be bothered thus far is Ubaldo.  He has been bad and they need him to be very good to be a legit contender.

#565 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,745 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:32 PM

Never said Schoop would, or should.

Just saying that it could have been very easy for Manny to have played like Schoop had when he first came up and played a new position. Not knocking Schoop, it's just that much more impressive what Manny did.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#566 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:34 PM

THe only reason to truly be bothered thus far is Ubaldo.  He has been bad and they need him to be very good to be a legit contender.

Fair enough, and I agree..

But good lord, go back and read this entire thread..I'll give you bonus points if you don't shoot yourself in the head when you're done.

AND WE WON!!

• Adam Wolff likes this
@beginthebegin71

#567 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,745 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:35 PM

That and the lack of power.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#568 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,745 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:35 PM

Fair enough, and I agree..

But good lord, go back and read this entire thread..I'll give you bonus points if you don't shoot yourself in the head when you're done.

AND WE WON!!

What do you expect we blew a 5 run lead last night and almost blew a 6 point lead today. 

Add to that it's Boston, where terrible things happen to this team.

#569 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:39 PM

What do you expect we blew a 5 run lead last night and almost blew a 6 point lead today. 

Add to that it's Boston, where terrible things happen to this team.

I hear you, and I realize people love to focus on the negative, but damn..

@beginthebegin71

#570 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:39 PM

Never said Schoop would, or should.

Just saying that it could have been very easy for Manny to have played like Schoop had when he first came up and played a new position. Not knocking Schoop, it's just that much more impressive what Manny did.

Agreed, I've purposely avoided comparing the two of them. We were really spoiled by Manny's transition to the majors.

@levineps

#571 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:55 PM

That and the lack of power.

Not worried by the lack of power at all.

Hardys injuries are another reason to be worried btw.

#572 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,562 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:13 PM

My god. 

Yes, it's been as bad as it's ever been the past couple of days. 

That said, the 6-9 and 5-9 innings today are as painful as they get, IMO... so I can understand it to some degree.

Also, you know as well as me that Game Threads aren't for going back and re-reading after the fact. You'll almost never not be disappointed.

#573 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:19 PM

That said, the 6-9 and 5-9 innings today are as painful as they get, IMO... so I can understand it to some degree.

Also, you know as well as me that Game Threads aren't for going back and re-reading after the fact. You'll almost never not be disappointed.

I know, and you're 100% right...

I think between the negativity about the game combined with some of the shitty responses about Boston and the marathon(lost some respect for a few folks unfortunately, as some things are just bigger than a stupid Baseball game), it just caught me at a bad time. 

I'm over it, but sometimes people gotta look big picture. Saying "we're gonna lose" when it's 6-1 drives me nuts. Par for the course though. It's me, just gotta either avoid it or enjoy it. 

@beginthebegin71

#574 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,562 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:22 PM

I think between the negativity about the game combined with some of the shitty responses about Boston and the marathon(lost some respect for a few folks unfortunately, as some things are just bigger than a stupid Baseball game), it just caught me at a bad time. 

I'm over it, but sometimes people gotta look big picture. 

Yeah, I hear ya... hard to disagree with that. 

If I had to pick 1 game to lose this series, it'd be Sunday because of all the special guests there... I just wish it wouldn't have went down the way it did. But it's a game, and it was one of 162... so there was never any need for some folks to go as crazy as they did... but 'tis the nature of a fanatic. It is what it is. 

#575 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:22 PM

I still think some people can tone it down somewhat, others have mentioned staying away from these. As you've mentioned before, if you don't like something you can just skip over it, but I think that practice is easier said than done. Maybe the negativity drives the game threads? And that the sane people are too vanilla for it?

Agree with your last point on these things are meant in the moment. I don't think you(not you Ricker) need to treat every game like Game 7 of the World Series, like it feels like sometimes in here.

@levineps

#576 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:25 PM

I'm over it, but sometimes people gotta look big picture. Saying "we're gonna lose" when it's 6-1 drives me nuts. Par for the course though. It's me, just gotta either avoid it or enjoy it. 

I feel sorry for people who actually feel this way. Some people just don't get it.

@levineps

#577 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,745 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:26 PM

Jesus Christ people are still complaining about the game threads. 

• Pedro Cerrano and BaltBird 24 like this

#578 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,562 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:27 PM

LOL, it's the one message board debate that just won't ever die, is it not?

#579 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:27 PM

Yeah, I hear ya... hard to disagree with that. 

If I had to pick 1 game to lose this series, it'd be Sunday because of all the special guests there... I just wish it wouldn't have went down the way it did. But it's a game, and it was one of 162... so there was never any need for some folks to go as crazy as they did... but 'tis the nature of a fanatic. It is what it is. 

Exactly, it was a bad loss, no question. 

Just bad timing that a team with a fan base filled with an inferiority complex to begin with had to be in Boston on the one year Anniversary of the Marathon bombings. I just didn't realize it would be so hard to people to fathom that a lot of the coverage the past two days just might center around the fact that people died in the bombings..I mean, come on people..

All good though. 

@beginthebegin71

#580 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:29 PM

I'm done with it...It's more about the lack of respect for the Boston stuff than anything. 

• Oriole85 likes this
@beginthebegin71

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=