611 replies to this topic

#21 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,139 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:02 AM

I don't enjoy Dave Johnson's analysis.  Why's he doing the game?

#22 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,554 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:02 AM

The defeatist attitude that's so pervasive around here is just embarrassing.  Giving up before the game's even started? 

We're a good team.  We'll play like a good team over the course of the season.  We're not even playing particularly badly right now, still around .500 with a tough schedule, without our best or 2nd best player, missing Hardy for half the games, and not gotten Davis or Jones going really well yet.

I just don't understand why so many people seem to be so afraid.

Agreed.

I think Manny is our best player though.

#23 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,252 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:03 AM

On MLBN.

#24 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,938 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:03 AM

I want Delmon Young over Lough forever.  Every game.  Every, single game.

I really wish Lough would start to hit just a little bit. His defense in the OF, aside from whatever happened at the end of the game last night, has been outstanding. He did hit the ball well a couple times last night, one for a ground rule double. Maybe he's starting to heat up?

#25 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,938 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:04 AM

Agreed.

I think Manny is our best player though.

If the Davis from last year is real, it's neck and neck. If Davis regresses more toward 2012, Manny is the undisputed #1.

#26 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,139 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:05 AM

If the Davis from last year is real, it's neck and neck. If Davis regresses more toward 2012, Manny is the undisputed #1.

Also the question of whether Manny is the guy from the first half or the second.  I think he's towards the first, so I'm comfortable saying he's our best guy.

#27 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,554 posts
  • LocationMaryland

There's still progression for Manny, too... and only regression for Davis... hoping it's as minimal as possible though. For Manny, he'll start hitting more homers soon, and hopefully the OBP will also improve. Defensively though, he can spark a team. He's our best player, IMO. But I understand the Davis argument.

#28 Dr. FLK

Dr. FLK

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts

I really wish Lough would start to hit just a little bit. His defense in the OF, aside from whatever happened at the end of the game last night, has been outstanding. He did hit the ball well a couple times last night, one for a ground rule double. Maybe he's starting to heat up?

Some guys have slumps, and you have faith they will break out of it.  But Lough?  He looks totally, completely overmatched.  He swings at everything.  It honestly looks like he has no pitch recognition.  He might as well close his eyes and pray.  I seriously think he needs a AAA stint to get right.  He can't handle ML pitching right now.

#29 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,938 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:07 AM

Also the question of whether Manny is the guy from the first half or the second.  I think he's towards the first, so I'm comfortable saying he's our best guy.

True, he faded quite a bit over the final couple months. But, at 20/21, I think it's safe to say he's for real with plenty of room for  growth.

#30 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,139 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:08 AM

Some guys have slumps, and you have faith they will break out of it.  But Lough?  He looks totally, completely overmatched.  He swings at everything.  It honestly looks like he has no pitch recognition.  He might as well close his eyes and pray.  I seriously think he needs a AAA stint to get right.  He can't handle ML pitching right now.

He had a decent day yesterday.  Almost hit a HR and then had a double.

Also, he hit last year.  Not great, but a little bit, enough to be a valuable starting LF with his defense.  He's definitely struggling right now, but I don't think it's as drastic.

I do agree I'd play Cruz out there today and Young at DH with Hardy and Wieters not in the lineup.  I think we need the offense more than the defense today.  Though Chen is a flyball pitcher.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#31 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,938 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:09 AM

Why is Steve Pearce on this team? I'd much rather have Weeks at this point.

#32 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,139 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:10 AM

Let's jump on em again early!  Gonna need the top of the order to give us some production today.

Also, Napoli catching.  Could see some SB, especially if guys like Lough or Lombardozzi get on base.

#33 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,430 posts

I don't like Johnson Wall-to-Wall, unless he is talking about pitching... when he talks about the mentality of players, or pitching mechanics he can add something of value.

Markakis grounds out, 1 down.

#34 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

I sympathize with the Boston Marathon bombing victims and everyone affected by it, but I really don't need it crammed down my throat every half inning. By about the second inning last night I was already sick and tired of "Boston Strong."

I know that was a common thought last night, not so much here, but you knew going into the game that would be the focus. ESPN didn't just randomly choose this game. If it bothers you that much, there's the mute button and you can listen to WBAL. It didn't bother me in the least.

@levineps

#35 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,139 posts

Why is Steve Pearce on this team? I'd much rather have Weeks at this point.

Agree.  With Hardy banged up, you need another infielder.  Otherwise, you can't PH for any of those guys late in a game, or else you'll see something like Davis playing 3B.

#36 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,938 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:11 AM

Why exactly would Lackey stay the night at the ball park last night? It's not like he's the starting pitcher today. Must have wanted some male bonding time.

#37 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:11 AM

With the whole Manfra being out, he's doing TV?

@levineps

#38 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,139 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:12 AM

Well I bashed him before the gmae started, but I definitely agree with Johnson that the strike zone got smaller last night as the game went on.  And it hurt the Orioles.

#39 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,430 posts

2 quick outs as Cruz k's.

#40 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,139 posts

Damn, good pitch.  Lot of late dip on that 2-seamer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=