• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#662 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,202 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 09:37 AM

Biggest bust in the history of the franchise.  

I'll go with Billy Rowell or Matt Hobgood over Wieters in the category of "biggest bust".

Wieters had a major league career,

<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#663 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,202 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 09:40 AM

I think the biggest problem people had with Shields was that it was an extremely hot take. Like within weeks of his callup. I think his biggest issue was Wieters had a "slow bat" but Im not even sure what that means to be honest. I remember the guy turning around Chapman.

Wieters had a long and sweeping swing.

In contrast, Mauer was compact and quick.

Wieters' bat seemed to slow as the season wore on in part because of his workload behind the plate.

#664 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,825 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 09:46 AM

Matusz was drafted 4th overall in '08. Former Orioles Tim Beckham and Pedro Alvarez were drafted 1st and 2nd respectively. 4 other first round picks in that draft have been in the organization. Jemile Weeks, Brett Wallace, Andrew Cashner, Daniel Schlereth.

I have no idea who Brett Wallace is and no memory of Daniel Schlereth being in the organization.  

Remember that month that Tim Beckham had a couple years ago?  Man that was crazy.

#665 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 16 April 2021 - 10:09 AM

I have no idea who Brett Wallace is and no memory of Daniel Schlereth being in the organization.  

Remember that month that Tim Beckham had a couple years ago?  Man that was crazy.

He had a hot start with the Mariners too, he loves making new fanbases really excited 

she/her

#666 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,202 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 10:33 AM

Matusz was drafted 4th overall in '08. Former Orioles Tim Beckham and Pedro Alvarez were drafted 1st and 2nd respectively. 4 other first round picks in that draft have been in the organization. Jemile Weeks, Brett Wallace, Andrew Cashner, Daniel Schlereth.

Good stuff.

Don't forget the acquistion of Travis Snyder  ( 14th overall section 2006) to help replace Markakis.

DD and Buck loved former first round draft picks.

#667 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,825 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 10:47 AM

Good stuff.

Don't forget the acquistion of Travis Snyder  ( 14th overall section 2006) to help replace Markakis.

DD and Buck loved former first round draft picks.

Pretty much all teams have a long history of acquiring former 1st round picks, that's a decent percentage of the players in the league.

On the current 40-man we've got:

Matt Harvey (2010)

Dillon Tate (2015)

Richie Martin (2015)

Plus our home-grown 1st rounders:

DJ Stewart (2015)

Ryan Mountcastle (2015)

Tyler Nevin (2015)

Sisco, Akin, LeBlanc, Jones, and Lowther were 2nd round picks.

#668 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 16 April 2021 - 11:39 AM

Matusz was fine until TTTP.

There was some off the field stuff I've heard. Never really got details, and pretty much just rumor. But there was one thing I know about that kinda makes you believe the rest.

He was one I always got pretty furious about them tinkering with. Had the stuff, but putting it together and building a game plan just seemed like never worked. Then again, I wanted Tyler Matzek and he busted even worse, so what are you gonna do?

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#669 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,202 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 12:27 PM

There was some off the field stuff I've heard. Never really got details, and pretty much just rumor. But there was one thing I know about that kinda makes you believe the rest.

He was one I always got pretty furious about them tinkering with. Had the stuff, but putting it together and building a game plan just seemed like never worked. Then again, I wanted Tyler Matzek and he busted even worse, so what are you gonna do?

Interesting.

I never heard about any off the field stuff with Mausz.

I heard rumors about some off the field stuff with Bigbie ( another former first rounder).

#670 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 12:33 PM

These guys are going to party, smoke weed, have sex with jock sniffers. Short of addiction, I don’t think these are issues. But I don’t know what the issues were either.

#671 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,202 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 12:38 PM

These guys are going to party, smoke weed, have sex with jock sniffers. Short of addiction, I don’t think these are issues. But I don’t know what the issues were either.

I don't know if the rumor was true, however, looking at your definition it was an "issue". 

The person was associated with the team at the time.

True or not, it looks like he's doing well. 

#672 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,654 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 01:34 PM

Matusz always appeared to be weak mentally, but that's my from TV scouting. Maybe he fell in love with a jock sniffer and found out she was taking rides on the Ty Wigginton carousel.

#673 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,562 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 05:16 PM

Did we ever get a confirmation on who told Palmer he looked up his stats and he wasn’t that good? I had Bedard as the guy but I think he was gone by then. Other choice would have been Matusz. Maybe Arrieta.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#674 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 05:28 PM

Did we ever get a confirmation on who told Palmer he looked up his stats and he wasn’t that good? I had Bedard as the guy but I think he was gone by then. Other choice would have been Matusz. Maybe Arrieta.

I thought it was Guthrie.

#675 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,098 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 07:15 PM

Pretty much all teams have a long history of acquiring former 1st round picks, that's a decent percentage of the players in the league.

On the current 40-man we've got:

Matt Harvey (2010)
Dillon Tate (2015)
Richie Martin (2015)

Plus our home-grown 1st rounders:
DJ Stewart (2015)
Ryan Mountcastle (2015)
Tyler Nevin (2015)

Sisco, Akin, LeBlanc, Jones, and Lowther were 2nd round picks.

Just a note. The 7 guys I named that have been in the organization from the 2008 draft didnt include the supplemental 1st round. Just the top 30 picks. With the supplemental 1st round Ryan Flaherty and Wade Miley would be added.

#676 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,562 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 08:43 PM

I thought it was Guthrie.

Hmmmm. Interesting. Guthrie would have been the last guy I would have thought of.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#677 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 23 May 2021 - 11:37 AM

E2-FSbvp-Vg-AI4kl-S.jpg

On the Olympics qualifying roster

she/her

#678 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,730 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 23 May 2021 - 06:38 PM

...did all those guys take up residence in Madagascar? 

#679 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 24 May 2021 - 10:23 AM

E2-FSbvp-Vg-AI4kl-S.jpg

I had no idea they were putting together an Olympic qualifying team.  Some of those guys are a bit long in the tooth.

@mikeghg

#680 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 10:32 AM

I had no idea they were putting together an Olympic qualifying team. Some of those guys are a bit long in the tooth.

Didn’t they used to take minor leaguers? Looks like all these guys are without a team.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=