http://baltimorespor...-looking-ahead/

#2 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:00 PM

Cant wait. I knew Peters and Dodd likely wouldn't make much of an impact this year. I think all four incoming guys could next year. The biggest team problem we have is basketball IQ. I've heard good things in that regard about all our recruits.

The one thing Turge can't hesitate to do is take early minutes away from any of the current players if the incoming guys prove themselves worthy in practice and preseason. And I mean everybody. Allen and Wells included. Obviously, those two are the two best returning scorers and overall players but they contribute to the poor IQ at times.

Ideally they find a transfer, JUCO, or grad student to play minutes inside too.

Would shock me if there isn't at least one player leaving the program. Cleare seems to be the most likely.

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:05 PM

Until we see any departures... just going by who we know is currently supposed to be on the roster, it will be interesting to see how the minutes are dispersed.

Turgeon certainly hasn't shown any problems with changing the lineup around. Players will earn/lose minutes based on practice and game results. Should make for competitive practices.

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:15 PM

We really need Mitchell to develop offensively and Dodd defensively. Cleare is a lost cause, IMO, and I don't expect much from Reed as a frosh.

#5 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:17 PM

Post offense is where a transfer could really help. I do thing there is some hope for Reed and Dodd defensively inside next year.

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:54 PM

Jeff Ermann / Inside MD Sports echoing what bnickle has previously heard about Faust. That there might be some interest from Faust to graduate early and move on somewhere else. Or be a pro somewhere.

Ermann does now think there will be several departures, and new players.

#7 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:59 PM

Yup Yup. Faust has to know he is the guard right now most likely to get his minutes cut with Trimble and Wiley coming in.

Cleare is gone.

Who knows who else. For different reasons, anybody but Allen would not surprise me.

#8 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:51 PM

Many departures would be great news.

#9 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:29 PM

The bigs this year were downright embarrassing for being at a major program in the ACC. Mitchell is the only one that is a D1 caliber player and he should be playing for Loyola, not Maryland.

You can't be good with no big men. 

@PeterDiLutis

#10 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:32 PM

I want to see a lot of small ball next year with Dodd and Reed in to protect the rim, get boards, and catch and finish inside/on the break.

#11 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:45 PM

Based on how little Dodd, Peters, and even other freshman in the past have gotten to play, what leads you to believe that the upper classmans jobs will be in jeopardy. Im with you, the best 5 should get the bulk of the minutes. Im totally fine benching this whole team for newcomers. I just see us screaming for them to play and having to wait until two years from now for this class to make their first impact.

Even if Faust is gone, I can see Allen, Wells, Layman, Dodd, Mitchell as the starters and the incoming class getting 7 minutes tops per game.
@BSLMikeRandall

#12 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 14 March 2014 - 05:36 AM

Based on how little Dodd, Peters, and even other freshman in the past have gotten to play, what leads you to believe that the upper classmans jobs will be in jeopardy. Im with you, the best 5 should get the bulk of the minutes. Im totally fine benching this whole team for newcomers. I just see us screaming for them to play and having to wait until two years from now for this class to make their first impact.

Even if Faust is gone, I can see Allen, Wells, Layman, Dodd, Mitchell as the starters and the incoming class getting 7 minutes tops per game.

Like Chris said, a lot is going to depend on practices for the young guys. If they can make an impact in practice, they'll get a few minutes. I don't think Trimble is going to get a whole ton of minutes, simply because he's blocked by Allen and Peters. I think he's better than Peters, but I don't see him surpassing him in minutes in his freshman year. Trimble and Peters might share PG duties in 2015, shifting Allen over to SG. That's what I'd like to see anyway.

Dodd's minutes should definitely increase, as I think he's got great potential. He should see more minutes than both Cleare and Graham in my opinion. Not quite sure where Reed fits in. He's going to get pushed around a lot in the Big Ten until he bulks up. 7-foot-1 is great, 215 pounds is not so great. It's going to take some time to get him in game shape (remember how Alex Len got manhandled in his freshman year? This is an even tougher league than the ACC).

• Mike in STL likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#13 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:04 AM

Trimble will play the most of the Freshman. If he is not starting, he will get starting minutes.

#14 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:21 AM

Trimble will play the most of the Freshman. If he is not starting, he will get starting minutes.

I imagine most felt the same about Peters at this time last year.

#15 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:30 AM

If your point is that all of these freshmen have to come in and prove themselves I agree.

That said, Peters, while a top 60ish recruit, was not supposed to be the impact player Trimble is supposed to be.  As Chris mentions, missing his senior year probably really hurt him.

#16 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:34 AM

You knew Peters was going to have to play some because of the PG issues. You knew when Allen went down, and Howard was gone.. that he would play more than initially expected.  Even before the Allen injury, I did think he'd be in the rotation... with his play dictating his minutes. I think most people knew that him missing his Senior year had to have impacted his development.

If anyone thought Peters would play more than that, it's because Peters' shooting issues were not clearer. It's a little hard to see how he was a Top 50 recruit. That ranking seems to have been all projection on him developing as a shooter imo.He has good length, and speed. His defense improved. But he's not a good enough PG to make up for his shooting deficiencies... at-least now. Maybe with some hard work this Summer, he'll look different next Fall.

There was a Washington Post article right before the season about Peters having worked on his shot, and the improvement there. Maybe he regressed during the year.

#17 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:34 AM

I want to see a lot of small ball next year with Dodd and Reed in to protect the rim, get boards, and catch and finish inside/on the break.

Trimble at the 1, Allen at the 2, Wells at the 3, Layman playing up at the 4...

#18 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:35 AM

MD will be in the CBE HOF Classic Nov 24th and 25th...  other teams are Alabama, Arizona State, and Iowa State.

In the ACC / Big Ten Challenge... MD figures to be home... likely no chance of playing one of the North Carolina teams. My guess is Pittsburgh.

#19 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:39 AM

Heard Ermann say last night that he expects some transfers in and likely post players.

#20 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:40 AM

Trimble at the 1, Allen at the 2, Wells at the 3, Layman playing up at the 4...

Yep. Of course the other guards factor into this as well. 3 guards, Evan and a true big can also be used for a little more size.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=