• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#121 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:09 PM

Turge didn't force anyone out. I guarantee you he called these guys into the room and said get out. He likely nudged by being honest, which all coaches do.

With that said, I don't even know how much a coach has to nudge. These players generally see the writing on the wall. Most of the time I believe there is a mutual agreement.  Can there be times where a kid loves the university and wants to stay despite the coaching staff preferring them to leave. Sure, but these kids are mostly there to play basketball. If things aren't going well for them in the basketball program why would you want to stay.

None of them had provided notice yesterday before Cekovsky.

If the players on their own wanted to leave, wouldn't they have likely said earlier?

Either way... they are gone now...  so time to focus on what's here, and who else could join.

#122 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,992 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:11 PM

I really hope Turgeon didn't force these guys out. 

Gotta define forcing out.  Telling them that they are unlikely to play other than in blowouts or against cupcakes isn't forcing someone out.

If he told Cleare that he's likely gonna be behind Mitchell, Dodd, Reed, and the new guy, not to mention Smot and even Layman, in the big man rotation I think he leaves on his own.  Same with Peters if he tells him that he's behind not only the returning guards from last year but both Trimble and Wiley coming in.  Faust is the only head-scratcher, as you don't see many seniors leave, especially if they have to sit out.  But again, it's easy to see that his minutes would be reduced.  He already got demoted from starter to reserve, but with more 2s and 3s coming in, he was gonna go from top reserve to perhaps barely playing.  Plus, it's possible that the main recruiter for any or all of these guys could no longer be part of the program.  Lot's of reasons to leave.

I wouldn't really care that much if Turgeon just told them they had to leave and their scholarships wouldn't be renewed, but I can't imagine things needing to come to that with a few of these guys.  It's definitely a shitty thing to do, but you can't always do the noble thing if you want to win.  This is big time college basketball, just showing up and practicing hard isn't always enough.

#123 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:30 PM

None of them had provided notice yesterday before Cekovsky.

If the players on their own wanted to leave, wouldn't they have likely said earlier?

Either way... they are gone now...  so time to focus on what's here, and who else could join.

There can be lots of reasons why. Likely, because they hadn't met with the coaching staff during postseason evaluations. We heard late last week that they hadn't done postseason meetings/evaluations yet.

You've heard about other kids transferring because they've already met with their coaches during postseason evaluations. Rarely will you find a kid decide to transfer without first talking to the current coaching staff. I guess if there is some really bad blood but these kids know the deal. They are most likely going to have to finish out the semester at the current school anyway.

I mean I just don't think you really see schollies completely pulled just because a coach would prefer a player out of the program. There just is no need to actually do that. A coach just has to be honest with the kids and tell them I don't envision you a part of the rotation next year. And the kid should respect that. Again, if for example Faust said, I understand but I've been here 3 years, I love the U of MD, I want my degree from this school. I promise you he'd still be in the program and here for his senior year.

Again, 95% of these kids on scholarship's number 1 priority is basketball. That's going to be the driving force in a decision to stay in a program or leave. They have egos too. And who wouldn't. Oh, so you're telling me Im going to be a junior or a senior and I'm going to have to compete from the start with an incoming freshman.

#124 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:32 PM

Telling them they may struggle to find much playing time is fine. After telling the player that and the player says he wants to come back, I don't approve of then taking the ship.

#125 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,508 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:52 PM

No real loss with Cleare and Faust. A little disappointed in Peters going....would like to have seen one more season to see what he might become. Oh well. And so much for wondering how they'll fit Cekovsky in now.

Add to the transfers that we could also see turnover of as many as 3 assistants in one year. But no doubt there needed to be some shakeup for this program. I just hope all the turnover doesn't end up being the boilerplate excuse for another disappointing season.

EDIT: Now with 2 open scholarships, I would think that Graham will get one of them.

#126 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,508 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:55 PM

Wonder if Bino takes any of these transfers to Coppin, if he goes there, like Patsos did when he went to Loyola.

#127 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:08 PM

Expect Xavier to be one of teams to target him. X was one of his final schools before choosing UMD.

Besides, you guys owe us one.

You can have Wells back.
@BSLMikeRandall

#128 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,243 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:38 PM

Expect Xavier to be one of teams to target him. X was one of his final schools before choosing UMD.

Besides, you guys owe us one.

You can have Wells back.

Maybe if you guys has a point guard you could actually utilize Wells to the best of his ability.

#129 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,645 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:04 AM

Maybe if you guys has a point guard you could actually utilize Wells to the best of his ability.

Agreed, Wells is a good player but he needs to be off the ball.  Allen and Trimble should make that possible next year.

@mikeghg

#130 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:27 PM

@dcsportsbog "Think B1G" sign at BWI (via @CoachAird)

BoVDTJ6CMAE_4iZ.jpg

• You Play to Win the Game and BSLZackKiesel like this
@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=