124 replies to this topic

#81 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:04 AM

Wouldn't someone have seen a plane flying around at 5k feet?

Yes, but if its the middle of the night in remote, mountainous regions how soon would we find that out.

I really don't know what to think anymore, other than it's pretty obvious one or both of the pilots sabotaged the flight. 

#82 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,332 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:07 AM

This story keeps getting nuttier by the day.

#83 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:14 AM

So much info coming out right now....none of it solid aside from the wide area that the plane flew.

There's here say about the elder pilot's political leanings and there is some strong coincidence but none of it is rock solid. It also sounds as if it the Malaysian government could have an axe to grind too.

Just a crazy crazy story but the more that comes out the more that the possibility that the plane landed somewhere and people are still alive increases.

If I read correctly, the captains political leanings were very democratic, anti terrorism support of Ibriham. Speculation is the Malaysian government could be trying to paint him in a bad light because he is such an adamant supporter of the opposition.

http://www.slate.com..._terrorist.html

Again, who the hell knows.

#84 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,818 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:25 AM

Right. From all I have read and heard about the pilots they sound like decent guys. But good people do bad things all the time. Who knows.

Since we haven't heard anything about the 2 Iraqi's traveling on stolen passports in a while, it does sound like the pilots were involved in some capacity.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#85 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:49 PM

Sounds like they may have finally found it in the South Indian Ocean.

So, suicide and dumping the plane in a place that makes it hard to find.

#86 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:18 AM

I'm not buying this latest news that a piece of the plane was found, in the Indian Ocean. Unless their was loss of cabin pressure and everyone passed out and died (like 1999 Payne Stewart incident) and the plane flew on autopilot and crashed after running out of fuel. Who hijacks and plane to crash it way down their....

australia5-600.png

http://www.nytimes.c...light.html?_r=0

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#87 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,818 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:25 AM

Yeah it doesn't make sense. But nothing would surprise me at this point and after nearly 2 weeks the plane and wreckage could have drifted a bit.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#88 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,716 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:57 PM

Yeah it doesn't make sense. But nothing would surprise me at this point and after nearly 2 weeks the plane and wreckage could have drifted a bit.

I dont know the drift influences in the Indian Ocean, but you'd be really surprised how far things can drift in 2 weeks.  Imagine a car at idle speed for 2 weeks, running non stop.  That's about how far you can get.

@fuzydunlop

#89 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:13 PM

I'm still expecting to hear about a ransom demand soon.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#90 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:36 PM

I dont know the drift influences in the Indian Ocean, but you'd be really surprised how far things can drift in 2 weeks.  Imagine a car at idle speed for 2 weeks, running non stop.  That's about how far you can get.

The issue, though, is that it would make it very difficult to find more of the plane. Even if they could trace the drift back to a point, debris could be all over the south Indian Ocean by now.

If this debris is from the plane, I don't know if we ever find out what really happened.

@DJ_McCann

#91 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,716 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:54 PM

The issue, though, is that it would make it very difficult to find more of the plane. Even if they could trace the drift back to a point, debris could be all over the south Indian Ocean by now.

If this debris is from the plane, I don't know if we ever find out what really happened.

Oh absolutely, and I said the same thing 4 days into this.  I was referencing the potential impact of the drift.  

I could go on and on about this stuff, as its been my primary job for 12 years now, but they aren't going to find anything definitive at this point.  There's too many variables, including the debris being buoyant.  

@fuzydunlop

#92 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 02:21 PM

Honestly, hopefully they can just find this debris that they spotted on satellite and confirm it is from the plane. I think we realize it'll take awhile to find where the plane actually went down.

Just give these families a bit of closure.

#93 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,716 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 20 March 2014 - 02:23 PM

Honestly, hopefully they can just find this debris that they spotted on satellite and confirm it is from the plane. I think we realize it'll take awhile to find where the plane actually went down.

Just give these families a bit of closure.

Take a while?  Nah, these things get harder to solve, exponentially, over time.  

@fuzydunlop

#94 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 02:25 PM

Honestly, hopefully they can just find this debris that they spotted on satellite and confirm it is from the plane. I think we realize it'll take awhile to find where the plane actually went down.     Just give these families a bit of closure.
  Take a while?  Nah, these things get harder to solve, exponentially, over time.  
What's the range on the signal given off by the black box underwater?

#95 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,716 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 20 March 2014 - 02:27 PM

Good question.  I also wonder how many answers it will actually provide, if they can locate it.

@fuzydunlop

#96 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 02:30 PM

Good question.  I also wonder how many answers it will actually provide, if they can locate it.
Well, I looked it up. A "few miles" is what I found. That doesn't sound bad until you think in 3 dimensions and that the black box could be two miles underwater.
  • McNulty likes this

#97 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 02:41 PM

I guess "few miles" means it's classified.

#98 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 02:45 PM

Or maybe that's because of the factors like depth, salinity, water temperature that affect sound waves in the ocean.

#99 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,716 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 20 March 2014 - 02:50 PM

I guess "few miles" means it's classified.

Or it varies. My guess is it's got something similar to the 121.5 MHz homing freq. Which is 3-5 miles.
  • Russ likes this

@fuzydunlop

#100 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:23 PM

I nominate McNulty as BSL's official oceanographer.

• McNulty likes this
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=