124 replies to this topic

#1 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:47 AM

This gets more and more interesting everyday. What the hell happened ??

#2 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:52 AM

I've been trying to wrap my head around the search planning, which is the main part of my job.  The area is a total unknown so they are probably looking at a ridiculous search area.  I'm talking the size of the entire midwest looking for very small debris.  They're probably also using units that have no idea how to search correctly (the Navy, for instance, goes as fast as possible while looking - they can't unplug from their normal training of combat).

Regardless, this is a futile effort anyway.  

@fuzydunlop

#3 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:55 AM

I just can't believe the plane wouldn't have some kind of tracking device that would have eliminated this whole "search" to begin with given today's technology. I mean, I'm sure they do, and it went off line whenever things started to go bad, but I'm saying they should still be able to have something to withstand that.

#4 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:57 AM

Ive read that they weren't over water very long and it shouldn't have taken this long to find some kind of debris.

I don't doubt that some of the search units  aren't very competent either.

I've heard speculation that the thing disintegrated at 35,000 feet. I've also heard that the transponders were turned off and the thing went quite a bit off course before going down.

#5 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:02 AM

http://www.news24.co...nswers-20140310

Phones are connecting and ringing??

#6 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:11 AM

I just can't believe the plane wouldn't have some kind of tracking device that would have eliminated this whole "search" to begin with given today's technology. I mean, I'm sure they do, and it went off line whenever things started to go bad, but I'm saying they should still be able to have something to withstand that.

It did, or does. None of it is working...or they haven't received any signals from it.

It's very interesting indeed. Add in the stolen passport stuff and the crack for conspiracies to run wild gets ripped open.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#7 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:14 AM

http://www.news24.co...nswers-20140310

Phones are connecting and ringing??

That's weird.  Its normal for phones to ring and ring when there is no signal.  I've run into this myself looking for people.  Sometimes they'll 'answer', but its just the voice mail being weird.

@fuzydunlop

#8 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:19 AM

Chances are the plane is at the bottom of the ocean and there's some logical explanation as to why it's taking this long to find it and why there was no distress signal.

That said, the more time that passes -- the nagging feeling that something unprecedented happened grows and grows.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#9 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:35 PM

I'm trying to come up with a good Lost reference, but I never watched Lost, so I'm...well, lost.

• Don Quixote likes this
@DJ_McCann

#10 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:01 PM

I haven't yet figured out if this story is an episode of Lost or an episode of 24.  I just hope it's not a crapfest like The Event

• BobPhelan and Don Quixote like this

#11 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:13 PM

Ha. Speaking of 24. Like 2 months until Jack is back. Woot.

#12 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:15 PM

Isn't this similar to the Air France flight from a few years back?  That one seemingly dropped out of the sky and nobody could find it or figure out why.

When they finally did figure out what happened, the results were slightly terrifying.  Literally a pilot went "up" when he should have gone "down" and the engine stalled and the plane went down. 

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#13 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:39 PM

Yeah the Air France story was scary. Middle of the ocean, a troublesome location for weather...plane disappears. You'd think that since this plane went down with a lot of land around that it wouldn't be so hard to find. Who knows.

#14 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:25 PM

I heard one of the news reports say that, assuming the most likely outcome, this is the worst air disaster in 13 years.

Remember the 1990s, when it seemed like a plane fell out of the sky every other month? Feels like it's much more rare now.

@DJ_McCann

#15 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:06 PM

I heard one of the news reports say that, assuming the most likely outcome, this is the worst air disaster in 13 years.

Remember the 1990s, when it seemed like a plane fell out of the sky every other month? Feels like it's much more rare now.

It's a morbid thought, but I'm shocked it doesn't happen more often.  Then again, I know next to nothing about the ins and outs of air travel.

@bopper33

#16 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:15 PM

It's a morbid thought, but I'm shocked it doesn't happen more often.  Then again, I know next to nothing about the ins and outs of air travel.

Yeah, I think that way, too. Then again, I drive across the Key Bridge spending the entire time wondering what would happen if there were an earthquake right then, so...

@DJ_McCann

#17 KWebz

KWebz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 722 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:16 PM

I heard one of the news reports say that, assuming the most likely outcome, this is the worst air disaster in 13 years.   Remember the 1990s, when it seemed like a plane fell out of the sky every other month? Feels like it's much more rare now.
There's a very interesting take and insight to this in Malcolm Gladwell's Outliers. He said that a lot of planes go down because the co-pilot doesn't stand up to the pilot and speak their minds or express concerns because it would be culturally disrespectful to do so. This is more prevalent in Latin American pilots and East Asian pilots.

#18 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:25 PM

Yeah, I think that way, too. Then again, I drive across the Key Bridge spending the entire time wondering what would happen if there were an earthquake right then, so...

That thing has survived being near the Curtis Bay industrial area for years and you think a little earthquake is gonna bring it down? 

@bopper33

#19 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:28 PM

That thing has survived being near the Curtis Bay industrial area for years and you think a little earthquake is gonna bring it down? 

I figure it raises the chances that a heavy breeze might do the trick.

@DJ_McCann

#20 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:40 PM

Yeah, that would be the plane crash that happened in NYC just a couple months after 9/11.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=