484 replies to this topic

#61 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:26 AM

So now that the O's have clinched do you think Buck gives Jimenez another start before the season ends?

Yep... Buck's trying to rebuild the guy's head... plus he and the P-coaches wanna see if whatever they've been up to is working...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#62 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,288 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 09:08 PM

MASN: Jimenez on making the post-season roster

http://www.masnsport...me-2-start.html

Note here about Jimenez making a mechanical change last month.

#63 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,288 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 09:32 AM

MASN: Leftovers for Breakfast

http://www.masnsport...eakfast-30.html

Showalter: "But I expect him to be one of our best five next year."

#64 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,288 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:33 AM

Camden Chat: Ubaldo Jimenez was so bad for the 2014 Orioles that he can't be much worse next year

http://www.camdencha...-ubaldo-jimenez

#65 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,288 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 09:58 AM

MASN: Did Ubaldo Jimenez turn the corner late last year?

http://www.masnsport...-last-year.html

#66 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,973 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 11:27 AM

I really hate this argument and that some people think he did something better in those last two starts that indicate he'll be fine next year.  As if how he pitched at the end of 2014 will impact how he will pitch in 2015.  He is so inconsistent from year-to-year, month-to-month, game-to-game, inning-to-inning, and even pitch-to-pitch, and yet some people think whatever mechanical adjustments he may have made in September would carry over to February, March, and the beginning of next season?

He walked 7 guys and hit a batter in his last two starts, which lasted all of 10 innings, including a 4-pitch walk to end the second outing.  His start in the clincher he began awfully, almost not making it out of the 2nd inning before pitching well and retiring the last 10 guys he faced.  He didn't keep that up in the follow-up a week later in NY, with a BB and HBP in the first inning.

His velocity may have been up just a tick over where it was most of the season, though not where it was in '12 or '13.  I think most of that can probably be explained as him having had a ton of rest before the first start and extra rest following that one before the second.  If his velocity bounces back on a more permanent basis, that'd be very encouraging for next year, it's the #1 thing that he needs to have happen to be able to be successful, IMO. 

Maybe you saw a couple things in those starts that looked nice and would give you some encouragement, but you saw those things from him all year long.  He'd mix in a great inning or three here or there, but overall, he just couldn't control where the ball was going, and that didn't remotely change in his final two starts, in fact it got even worse.

I think there is some reason to think a good season in 2015 is possible from Ubaldo.  He's not condemned to be as terrible as he was last year the rest of his career.  I don't think there is much reason to expect success until we see it, though, beyond just blind optimism.

#67 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 11:31 AM

MASN: Did Ubaldo Jimenez turn the corner late last year?

http://www.masnsport...-last-year.html

We need to convince some other team that he did and then dump him ASAP.

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#68 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 04:19 PM

Yeah, those are not encouraging words from Wallace. I have no doubt that Buck would prefer to be rid of him but that seems unlikely at this point.

"You know what? I think he just got away from it a little bit. He's been successful for so long, but also has been inconsistent. He's been consistently inconsistent. Who knows what between the ears happened to him this year as far as trying to do well and prove his value?

"Hopefully, we get through that. It will not be easy, I'll tell you that. There are a lot of moving parts."

No, I don't think by any means we've turned the corner," Wallace said. "I think we've got to be evidenced by what we see in spring training. But at least we have a reference point right now and can get after it a little more aggressively than we have."

#69 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,973 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 04:23 PM

I hadn't actually read the article, just assumed the question in the title was actually being asked, the headline is pretty misleading.  I'm glad that it isn't really.  Wallace isn't even trying to suggest that they've fixed something late in the season and they think he'll be better.  I'm glad, because that is an insane idea for anyone to have.  Though I know some have had it, I'm glad the O's don't feel that way.

So does Jimenez's solid finish tell Wallace he has made a turn for the better heading into next year?

"No, I don't think by any means we've turned the corner," Wallace said. "I think we've got to be evidenced by what we see in spring training. But at least we have a reference point right now and can get after it a little more aggressively than we have."

#70 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,288 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:17 AM

CSN Baltimore: Showalter thinks Orioles will see a different Ubaldo

http://www.csnbaltim...ifferent-ubaldo

#71 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 06:22 PM

CSN Baltimore: Showalter thinks Orioles will see a different Ubaldo

http://www.csnbaltim...ifferent-ubaldo

That's Buck... combine his belief in the guy with expectations of performance....

The good thing about Ubaldo is that when he's on, he's pretty much unhittable... and when he's not on, he's still pretty much unhittable, he just walks too many guys... so, there's only one thing he really has to work on, which is less than normal guys have to work on...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#72 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:21 PM

Maybe we can convince some other sucker and work a trade ;)

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#73 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 31 January 2015 - 03:35 PM

http://www.masnsport..._medium=twitter

#74 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,288 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 09:26 AM

Camden Depot: What went wrong for Jimenez?

http://camdendepot.b...do-jimenez.html

#75 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,288 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 09:47 AM

MASN: Jimenez on his new delivery and improved outlook for 2015

http://www.masnsport...k-for-2015.html

#76 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 05:01 PM

Should be concerned that any mechanical changes that lead to better control could hurt his deception. Listen, the stuff isn't that good so either way Im concerned unless he can improve the control while remaining deceptive.  

#77 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,288 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 05:17 PM

Should be concerned that any mechanical changes that lead to better control could hurt his deception. Listen, the stuff isn't that good so either way Im concerned unless he can improve the control while remaining deceptive.  

On the flip side, should be hoping that improved mechanics lead to improved / more consistent velocity and movement... and most importantly better control (which should be expected... as his control has never been good, but was far worse last year than anytime previous).

#78 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 05:21 PM

We'll see. Point being, even if he improves the mechanics and control that doesnt necessarily mean he'll be more effective. 

#79 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,288 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 05:24 PM

We'll see. Point being, even if he improves the mechanics and control that doesnt necessarily mean he'll be more effective. 

I don't think there is anything that he can do, that will consistently show up over 30 starts. I'm encouraged that he has somehow maintained the changes made in September, but it would shock me if he can lock in over the course of a season. I'm just hoping that he can get on a roll for a stretch of starts like he did in the 2nd half of '13 (not even at that level). Just a few months of something positive would be great.

#80 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 07:36 PM

even if he improves the mechanics and control that doesnt necessarily mean he'll be more effective. 

I would have thought it *impossible* for somebody to say it's not an importantly good thing for Ubaldo to improve his control... but you proved me wrong...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=