98 replies to this topic

#81 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 12:51 AM

5.75 was the total. My goodness. Seriously. Im puking. 

#82 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,601 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 23 February 2015 - 12:57 AM

They clearly needed to haze him more.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#83 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 01:10 AM

You can put it on the board. Yes!! Listen, as much as I like to pat myself on the back, this one was too easy.  I mean when its obvious from Youtube video that the guy isn't close to a MLB talent and you give him 4 mil or 5 mil. Thats pretty inexcusable. 

You were absolutely right. I remember you being against it from the beginning. 

There was a guy who tweeted back at Dan and said that Yoon still didn't look fully healthy. Shame..would have been nice to have grabbed him and have him return to his 2011-self. 

I look forward to the O's making more progress in Asian countries. Bummer this one didn't work out. 

#84 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 01:21 AM

It was just the money spent. You dont spend that kind of money on a guy who was hurt. Who might get back his stuff that might be good enough to get MLB hitters out in a RP role. 

#85 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,882 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 09:14 AM

Add up all the money spent on Wada, Chen, and Yoon and we're still way ahead in terms of value just from Chen.

Good risks to take.  Though hopefully we spend the money more on guys with Chen and Wada's talents and not guys that can't hack it even in the minors like Yoon.  That one blew up from the get-go, just no real chance once he started pitching.  I hope it was a case of them having liked him pre-injury and decided to gamble that he could overcome it, rather than them liking what they saw from him after the injury.  But I don't like messing with significant shoulder injuries.  That's a glue factory injury, IMO. 

Also, in regards to Yoon, what a piece of shit he must be for refusing to go to minor league camp.  Just release him and eat the money, it's gone and he's a nobody.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#86 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 01:52 PM

Also, in regards to Yoon, what a piece of shit he must be for refusing to go to minor league camp.  Just release him and eat the money, it's gone and he's a nobody.

Maybe the O's are hoping he walks away from the contract with the intention of returning to Korea.

Would the O's be responsible for the entire contract if he expressed desire to go back?

#87 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 02:10 PM

Maybe the O's are hoping he walks away from the contract with the intention of returning to Korea.

Would the O's be responsible for the entire contract if he expressed desire to go back?

Im assuming yes. Otherwise, its overwhelming likely he goes and rides the bus for another year for almost $2 mil. 

#88 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 03:08 PM

If he refuses to go, why do they have to pay him?

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#89 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,882 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 03:40 PM

If he refuses to go, why do they have to pay him?

Because his contract allowed for them to option him to the minors last year, but not this year.  It's effectively negotiated as if he is a MLB player with 5+ years of service (like Norris this year) where he can't be optioned without his permission.

I don't begrudge him negotiating for that perk, but I do begrudge him insisting on enforcing his end of it after the crappy year he had last season where he wasn't capable of getting even minor leaguers out.  I think it's delusional.

#90 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 03:43 PM

I don't begrudge him negotiating for that perk, but I do begrudge him insisting on enforcing his end of it after the crappy year he had last season where he wasn't capable of getting even minor leaguers out.  I think it's delusional.

If he can't make it to the majors now then he may as well force the Orioles to release him. That way, he'll get his full contract plus whatever he can get in Korea this upcoming year.

#91 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,882 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 03:57 PM

If he can't make it to the majors now then he may as well force the Orioles to release him. That way, he'll get his full contract plus whatever he can get in Korea this upcoming year.

That's a fair explanation of why he may be doing this, but still...fuck him if he is.  It's a shitty way to do conduct yourself, IMO.

#92 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 09:02 PM

Eduardo A. Encina ‏@EddieInTheYard  4m

Suk-min Yoon not on minor league minicamp roster. Told that he will report March 6 when minor league pitchers and catchers report. #Orioles

I guess it's a wait and see game. We've got one reporter saying he won't show up, and then Encina saying he'll report when he's supposed to.

#93 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,882 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 03:12 PM

https://twitter.com/...537612033556481

O's reportedly working on a buyout with Yoon.  If they can convince him to take anything less than the $4.15M they still owe him by allowing him to go back to South Korea and pitch there, gotta consider that a win at this point.

#94 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 06:55 PM

Eduardo A. Encina ‏@EddieInTheYard  6m

Deal cutting ties w/ Suk-min Yoon saved the #Orioles $4.3 million in player salary & expenses, according to an industry source.

So there we have it. More money for the O's to spend at the deadline!

#95 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,882 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 07:37 PM

I don't understand how that's even possible.  His entire 2015 and 2016 salary was only going to be $4.15M.  Did they recoup some of his signing bonus?

However they did it, that's some pretty impressive negotiating.

#96 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,882 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 02:59 PM

He signed a 4-year, $8.2M deal back in Korea.  Gave up 2/$4.3M here to go home for roughly the same annual money over more years.

Win-win, I suppose.  Glad that mistake only ended up costing us about $1.3M.  Good to take gambles on guys you think can help, but this one obviously was a bust.

#97 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,601 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 06 March 2015 - 03:17 PM

I'd like to see us dump a ton more money into international scouting. So far we've improved in this area -- Chen and Gonzo -- but there is room for improvement.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#98 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 March 2015 - 07:06 PM

http://www.masnsport...ame-update.html

"Some of them are going to work, some of them aren't going to work," Duquette said. "The good part of this is that this didn't work, but we were able to correct the mistake, if you will, and we have that money available to invest in other players."

I will believe that when we see it.

#99 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,882 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:39 AM

http://www.masnsport...ame-update.html

"Some of them are going to work, some of them aren't going to work," Duquette said. "The good part of this is that this didn't work, but we were able to correct the mistake, if you will, and we have that money available to invest in other players."

I will believe that when we see it.

Believe what?

I think he's talking about adding players to the MLB roster here, not re-investing it into amateur FAs.  This extra cash will give the O's a little more room to take on payroll throughout the year.  Nothing significant, but a few million certainly helps.  I don't think there is any reason to doubt that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=