Photo

What's Wrong With the NFL?

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

Poll: Will you change the way you follow the NFL? (23 member(s) have cast votes)

Will you change the way you follow the NFL in response to the how the Ravens and the league handled Ray Rice's violence?

1. No, I will follow and support the team/league just as before (17 votes [73.91%])

Percentage of vote: 73.91%

2. I'm completely cutting the team/league out of my life (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. I will cut back in some way in how I support and follow the team/league (6 votes [26.09%])

Percentage of vote: 26.09%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:38 PM

Then why did you agree with my disagreement?

Seriously, what are you talking about?

#42 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:38 PM

Maybe the reality is that NFL is not good for kids. I'm sure the NFL doesn't want that.
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#43 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:41 PM

Maybe the reality is that NFL is not good for kids. I'm sure the NFL doesn't want that.

A sport that is all about fast collisions, gambling and getting shitfaced isn't good for kids? The hell you say! :)
  • PrimeTime and Dupin like this

#44 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,564 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 September 2014 - 11:25 PM

Flip a coin. I'll let you know Thursday. Can't get rid of this vomit in my mouth right now.
  • McNulty likes this

#45 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 08 September 2014 - 11:38 PM

No vote in the poll because none of the responses really matched how I feel. Interestingly, for reasons I'm not entirely certain of, I was already less enthusiastic about the start of this season than I have been in a long time (probably that first season after the Colts moved). And I don't think it had much, if anything to do with Ray Rice. Obviously this won't help, but I will still watch, no question about that. But I get the sense that the NFL may have hit its peak in popularity, despite the ratings for the most recent SB, which I don't think entirely correlates with the league's popularity.

#46 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 09 September 2014 - 11:21 AM

I still enjoy watching the sport and rooting for the Ravens, but this whole episode is another thing that makes me wary of how I'll monetarily support the NFL.

Increased awareness of how shitty the league office is, more vigilance against linining their pockets, but still rooting for my hometown team.

#47 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,401 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 09 September 2014 - 12:00 PM

I will still watch just as ever. Really to me, this isn't the biggest blemish against the league. This is really bad, though. I just care more about some of the things Mashed Potatoes listed. The concussion/CTE thing is the biggest blemish to me. The way they have handled that situation going back decades is atrocious and it's hard to excitedly support a sport that leads to such a serious medical issue far too often to go along with all the other physical risks associated with the game.

Yet, excitedly support I do. Football is just far too ingrained in me. Maybe one day that will change. Perhaps I should even say hopefully one day that will change.

With that in mind, I guess my answer isn't that I will follow and support the NFL just as ever, because now there is a guilt associated with doing so, and even if I still watch every Sunday, that guilt affects my level of fandom.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#48 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 09 September 2014 - 08:46 PM

I stopped down at M&T bank today to do the jersey turn in, and they gave me back Rice's new Jersey.  I did not know what to say...

Ashirtexample.jpg

Humor starts the healing process

• DJ MC likes this
<p>I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#49 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 10:53 PM

My favorite events to watch are presided over by two of the most evil organizations in sports.

Maybe I should consider my NCAA and NFL football fandom a vice, but frankly, I don't see my love for the game changing.

#50 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,674 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 10 September 2014 - 05:05 PM

Anyone changing their minds today?

@fuzydunlop

#51 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 05:18 PM

It's really embarrassing to be a Ravens fan right now.
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#52 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,386 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 10 September 2014 - 05:20 PM

It's really embarrassing to be a Ravens fan right now.

Welcome to everyday for us skins fans...
  • Markus likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#53 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 05:32 PM

This isn't shocking. That's why it doesn't change my mind.

I'm entertained by the athletes playing any sport but when it comes to morality I have been and always will be extremely cynical. I can say I've never idolized a public figure I didn't know personally. When it comes to a business or organization we all know there are a lot of corrupt people doing a bunch shady things.

Obviously, I'm not telling anyone here anything they didn't already know. Maybe I shouldn't just accept it and take some sort of personal stand. If I do that here, how do I not do that in everyday life every single day at my job, the grocery store, McDonald's, etc, etc

#54 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,401 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 05:44 PM

I think one can at least mostly separate what they see on the field from the leadership issues in the league and even what these players do off the field. It does make me feel less than proud of being an NFL fan, though. The medical issues are harder for me to separate and that leads to more guilt for supporting the league.

#55 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 September 2014 - 05:55 PM

Not that it is on the same level but cheating on your spouse is pretty awful and can tear people apart...this happens in all sports..should we have our fandom decreased because of that?

#56 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,318 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 06:09 PM

Not that it is on the same level but cheating on your spouse is pretty awful and can tear people apart...this happens in all sports..should we have our fandom decreased because of that?

Cheating is horrible, but it is not as bad as this. No one could support the NFL if cheating was the line, those guys are on every team. If I'm not mistaken, I believe I've read that Suggs is one of our guys that does that (to be fair I stopped being as entertained by his antics after his own domestic violence dust up, although the details were sketchier on his if memory serves).

#57 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:58 PM

John Lennon beat his wives/girlfriends do you stop listening to the Beetles or Music?

<p>I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#58 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:20 PM

John Lennon beat his wives/girlfriends do you stop listening to the Beetles or Music?

I try to lean more towards the I don't condone the action, but I try not to judge. At least not in the overall sense with a broad stroke.

Go back through the beginning of the other thread when we only saw the first video. I was disgusted and angry.

At the same time that doesn't mean Ray didn't do good things before this incident and can't do a lot of good things going forward. I truly hope that despite it being very ugly that this was one big mistake and Ray can be a good man going forward.
  • BSLChrisStoner, MKlein76 and Bmore Irish like this

#59 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,401 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 11:00 PM

John Abraham might retire after suffering a concussion Monday. He's apparently been dealing with severe memory loss for over a year. This was his first official concussion. This and The League of Denial doc are much more of a problem to me than this Ray Rice situation.

#60 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 11:08 PM

I said this before but I've wondered if some kind of brain issue had played an issue with Rice, who by all accounts was a model citizen. Or maybe he's always had serious issues. But still it's made me wonder.

Head injuries and CTE are real and are serious stuff, but it's gonna be possible in any contact sports. You just can't do away with them. Didn't Freel have it?? And he was a baseball player.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=