Photo

What's Wrong With the NFL?

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

Poll: Will you change the way you follow the NFL? (23 member(s) have cast votes)

Will you change the way you follow the NFL in response to the how the Ravens and the league handled Ray Rice's violence?

1. No, I will follow and support the team/league just as before (17 votes [73.91%])

Percentage of vote: 73.91%

2. I'm completely cutting the team/league out of my life (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. I will cut back in some way in how I support and follow the team/league (6 votes [26.09%])

Percentage of vote: 26.09%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ChrisWorthington

ChrisWorthington

HOF

• Members
  • 268 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:26 PM

Yep, I'm going to do it. I'm going to bring up Richard Sherman.

You see, his much-discussed post-game rant following the NFC championship game got me thinking: when did the NFL become so boring? 

Seems like an odd question from someone who spends hours each week watching film and drawing up plays. Most of the time, it would appear that - on the contrary - I'm exceptionally entertained. And I do enjoy the tape. The Xs and Os are the most enjoyable part of the game for me. Football is an incredibly intricate chess match at high speed. I love that part. 

But the truth is, on Sundays (and Mondays...and Thursdays...), I can't help but notice that something is missing.

And when Richard Sherman had his...moment...after winning the NFC Championship game, I knew what that something was. The NFL isn't nearly as fun as it used to be.

The problem begins somewhere back in time, with the players who were also just regular folks - dockworkers, miners, plumbers. They played football on Sundays for a few extra bucks, but also because it was enjoyable. And it ends with 24-hour sports news cycles, bloated salaries, and, worst of all, bans on (and associated fines for) taunting, touchdown celebrations, and all other forms of fun.

You see, the problem is that the NFL takes itself too seriously.

It's a business, everybody says. These athletes need to act like professionals, pundits proclaim. But you know what? That's ridiculous. The NFL is not an office building. The players don't sit in cubicles. They're not dressed in khakis and shirts and ties, they're not taking calls or writing proposals, and they're not placing orders at Staples.

In fact, this is exactly why America loves professional football - because it's absolutely nothing like the corporate world. In fact, it may be the furthest thing from our regular lives to which we have unfettered access.

So why does the NFL insist on enforcing stiff, corporate rules on a game? Because in spite of the NFL's power-hungry rhetoric, that's all that football is - a game. 

I watch football to be entertained, and I don't want the players to be corporate stiffs. I want them to be entertainers! I may have disliked him at the time, but I miss Chad Johnson's choreographed touchdown celebrations. I know I disliked him at the time, but I miss T.O. stomping on the Dallas star. 

Better yet, who remembers this Bart Scott post-game interview? For obvious reasons, it resurfaced after Sherman's rant. And you know what? The league needs more of this, not less. 

The NFL doesn't need to be the WWE (though promos are always welcome), but it also shouldn't be Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac, either. 

• BSLChrisStoner, You Play to Win the Game, Russ and 3 others like this

#2 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,318 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:05 PM

While I agree, the NFL certainly has earned the reputation of being the No Fun League, I don't know where the right place to draw the line is.  I think some of these players would take it too far if Goodell wasn't so dictatorial.

#3 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:10 PM

The Sherman story was big for a couple reasons. It was the NFC Title game. Rivalry game. Erin Andrews. Sure we don't want stiffs in front of the mic. But there's a fine line between outgoing, and disrespectful.

The real story is what happened prior to the interview. Sherman makes the play, then goes right over to Crabtree to pat his butt and shake his hand. He knows what he was doing, and we know it wasn't in good sportsmanship. Thats the disrespectful part. I mean, has a guy ever smashed a homer and then walked up to the pitcher to shake his hand? Or scored a goal then patted the goalie an the behind? Everyone knows the time and place for approaching another player, and when that player just had his season ended by you two seconds ago, was not the right time and place. Sherman knew it. Crabtree did what anyone would have done and shoved him, which I'm sure got Shermans adrenaline rushing even more. Hence the galloping around and making the choke sign towards the 49ers, also very disrespectful, and it spilled over to the interview. 

I have no problem with the interview. It's the other stuff that's in poor taste.

I agree with you, the Chad Johnson antics are just fun. It's not disrespect to Riverdance in the endzone. T.O.'s as well. But when you cross that line and personally go after someone, thats where it becomes disrespect and poor sportsmanship. We all want these guys to be real and I think for the most part, they are. If Flacco made a post-game comment like Sherman, it wouldn't be real.  Ray Lewis was as real, and as caught up in the moment as it gets, and he never disrespected any player to my knowledge. I did remember a sound byte where he was like "Nice play 66. Nice play." Then he want back in the huddle and said something to his teammates like "that 66 has no idea." 

@BSLMikeRandall

#4 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,254 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:28 PM

goodell.jpg

#5 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:29 PM

So the Mile High Salute is out, but the Lambeau Leap is still in.

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#6 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,674 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:34 PM

How is a military salute 'unsportman like'?  Its a fucking sign of respect.

@fuzydunlop

#7 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:37 PM

Someone better make sure Santana Moss knows spinning the ball is out.

Seriously, what a freaking joke.  No Fun League is right.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#8 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:18 PM

They came out with the same exact list last year. It took a lot to draw excessive celebration or taunting flags. I dont think it changes anything.
@BSLMikeRandall

#9 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,029 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:13 PM

Curious as to whether anger will translate into different actions for the board.

EDIT: This was a separate topic, "Will you change the way you support the NFL", which we've merged.

@DaKittenz

#10 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,521 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:16 PM

I enjoy the games... and while there are players I like as individuals, I'm not big on hero worship.

There are things I wish the Ravens and NFL would have done differently; but Thursday night I'll still be watching.

• Dupin likes this

#11 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,254 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:18 PM

Honestly, no. You can hate on me for that but I just don't see myself not following.

I'm more of a "Ravens" fan than any individual player anyway. (Besides fantasy football of course when I usually stay away from Ravens anyway.)

#12 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,747 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:20 PM

I can't make a choice. I think it's more of a 3 answer question.

I own 2 PSL's, go to all the games, owned a Rice jersey. I'm as disappointed in all of this as much as anyone. I'm very proud of the team, it's success, the way it's run...this tarnishes that a lot. Especially if the team saw that video and so publicly stood behind Rice.

I'll keep going to games, keep watching, but I'm not blind to the issues surrounding the NFL. I guess it will come down to something similar to complaining about the cable bill. You bitch and complain but yet you pay the bill each month.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#13 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:21 PM

No...I don't really care about how it was initially handled. The wrong has been righted and the right thing was done.

And of the right thing wasn't done, it still wouldn't change anything for me....but this way is better.

#14 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,747 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:27 PM

They were basically forced to make this move. If the video is never made public, Rice is reactivated on Friday.

That's not "getting it right".
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#15 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:29 PM

They were basically forced to make this move. If the video is never made public, Rice is reactivated on Friday.
That's not "getting it right".

Sure it is...I don't care why they cut him. I care that they did cut him.

#16 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,029 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:30 PM

I'm cutting back some, don't see myself going to the games in person like usual. Here are the reasons why, from my post in the other thread.

It's more than just a video, it's the league's hypocritical and dishonest handling of the entire situation.

It's their inhumane and illegal treatment of its cheerleaders, http://deadspin.com/...ader-1509840273

It's the way they've covered up concussions to use up young, mostly black males bodies to maximize profits, then abandon them when they're no longer in the league.

It's their handling of the Redskins team name.

It's making cities finance new stadiums and then the league inheriting most of the profit.

It's the fact that the NFL is a fucking non-profit, and avoid all the taxes they should be paying...

It's the multitude of other hypocritical policies.

I'm wrestling with these questions myself right now.

• glenn__davis, McNulty and KWebz like this
@DaKittenz

#17 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:33 PM

I don't know.  However, if there were a viable alternative to the NFL, I'd be eager to check it out.

The XFL came 15 years too soon.

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#18 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:40 PM

I'm cutting back some, don't see myself going to the games in person like usual. Here are the reasons why, from my post in the other thread.

Your other post and all of the things you listed are spot on.

As I posted elsewhere I started pondering the same thing about 5-6 years ago, and about 2-3 years ago totally gave it up.  Many remember that at one point I was a serious Vikings fan. I could name maybe 5 players now.

The concussion thing bothered me a lot.

I can only hope that maybe this situation will humble the league a little bit.  They took a good bit of flak for trying to make people pay to perform at Super Bowl halftime as well.  Maybe things will finally start to stick the league a little bit.  

• Dupin likes this

#19 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:42 PM

Sure it is...I don't care why they cut him. I care that they did cut him.

Only results matter, not the process.

Got it.

• KWebz likes this
@DJ_McCann

#20 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:45 PM

It's not out of the question.   NCAA football is pretty much dead to me, unless I'm bored on a Saturday.

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=