Photo

What's Wrong With the NFL?

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

Poll: Will you change the way you follow the NFL? (23 member(s) have cast votes)

Will you change the way you follow the NFL in response to the how the Ravens and the league handled Ray Rice's violence?

1. No, I will follow and support the team/league just as before (17 votes [73.91%])

Percentage of vote: 73.91%

2. I'm completely cutting the team/league out of my life (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. I will cut back in some way in how I support and follow the team/league (6 votes [26.09%])

Percentage of vote: 26.09%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:49 PM

Only results matter, not the process.

Got it.

In things that don't really matter? Yep.

The right decision has been made, regardless of why it was made.

#22 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,029 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:49 PM

Your other post and all of the things you listed are spot on.

As I posted elsewhere I started pondering the same thing about 5-6 years ago, and about 2-3 years ago totally gave it up.  Many remember that at one point I was a serious Vikings fan. I could name maybe 5 players now.

The concussion thing bothered me a lot.

I can only hope that maybe this situation will humble the league a little bit.  They took a good bit of flak for trying to make people pay to perform at Super Bowl halftime as well.  Maybe things will finally start to stick the league a little bit.  

4 months ago the idea that I would even entertain such a thought would be incomprehensible. I'm starting to lean in your direction though. It just feels wrong, and it would send a strong message to my "crew" of 7th grade boys I meet with everyday at school. 

@DaKittenz

#23 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,674 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:53 PM

Sure it is...I don't care why they cut him. I care that they did cut him.

If they saw the video earlier, and they had to have seen it, he should've been cut on the spot.  That's a big part of why I'm angry. 

@fuzydunlop

#24 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:57 PM

On a related note, I wore a Ravens shirt to Lowes today and got heckled.   I wonder how long until this round of embarrassment is gone?

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#25 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:57 PM

If they saw the video earlier, and they had to have seen it, he should've been cut on the spot.  That's a big part of why I'm angry. 

Sure...I agree....but I just don't care at the level being discussed. I was one of the first on here to call for him being cut when we heard about this.

I love sports...I love all the aspects of it but I also recognize the lack of importance in it in the grand scheme of things. So, if an organization makes a mistake, big or small, it really has little impact on my life.

As parents, your job is to teach your kids right from wrong....it's not the NFLs job to do that. So, this whole send a message crap is meaningless. The message being sent should be from the people that matter.

#26 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,318 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:06 PM

No other sport offers the enjoyable strategic element the way football does for me, so I will not stop watching.  I still struggle with it though, mostly from the TBI stuff.

#27 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:08 PM

it's not the NFLs job to do that. So, this whole send a message crap is meaningless.

The NFL does everything it can to bring kids in and make them football fans: Play60, sponsoring youth football programs, etc. So they put themselves in a position where they need to have accountability for the message they send.

@DJ_McCann

#28 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,674 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:11 PM

I unfollowed everyone Ravens related on twitter.  Just want to give this break a fair shake, see how it goes.

This reminds me of when I quit facebook, which has been a glorious choice.

@fuzydunlop

#29 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:12 PM

The NFL does everything it can to bring kids in and make them football fans: Play60, sponsoring youth football programs, etc. So they put themselves in a position where they need to have accountability for the message they send.

That's fine...I just don't care enough about this to make it change my watching habits.

#30 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:12 PM

Sure...I agree....but I just don't care at the level being discussed. I was one of the first on here to call for him being cut when we heard about this.

I love sports...I love all the aspects of it but I also recognize the lack of importance in it in the grand scheme of things. So, if an organization makes a mistake, big or small, it really has little impact on my life.

As parents, your job is to teach your kids right from wrong....it's not the NFLs job to do that. So, this whole send a message crap is meaningless. The message being sent should be from the people that matter.

I have to agree with this.  People that are mad because they have to breach the subject with their kids are being helped out.  Its uncomfortable but earlier this year I had to tell my 4 year old daughter we need to buy her another jersey and why.  "We do not condone boys hitting girls and if one ever hits you.  You can come to me your mother or your teachers and let us know.  We are here to help you blah blah..."  That is the learning exp not the hero worship.  The tragedy of taking away his money work etc is a tragedy something he loved to do because of his actions.  That a women now has a tape of her getting beat on the internet by her husband who she is still married to and if she stays with him everyone will say she is weak or if she leaves him will have a negative stigma around her. 

His money well dries up fast think of his car, house, life ins, and now medical.  He most likely did not buy anything outright and owes a lot of money.  If your counting on 6 mill a year you live like it and will be broke soon enough specifically if you have a few more years only being 28.

<p>I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#31 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,318 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:16 PM

I unfollowed everyone Ravens related on twitter.  Just want to give this break a fair shake, see how it goes.

This reminds me of when I quit facebook, which has been a glorious choice.

KVV is safe if you don't want to unfollow everyone.  His tweets today have been poignant and insightful.

#32 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:18 PM

That's fine...I just don't care enough about this to make it change my watching habits.

It's fine to say that you don't care. It's not fine to say that the league shouldn't.

@DJ_McCann

#33 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:18 PM

It's fine to say that you don't care. It's not fine to say that the league shouldn't.

I never said that. The league should always care about their image...just as any business should.

#34 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:20 PM

I never said that. The league should always care about their image...just as any business should.

You said that it's not the NFL's job. Of course it is, and for the reason I said.

@DJ_McCann

#35 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:23 PM

You said that it's not the NFL's job. Of course it is, and for the reason I said.

I said it's not the NFLs job to teach kids right from wrong...and of course that's true.

#36 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,318 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:24 PM

I said it's not the NFLs job to teach kids right from wrong...and of course that's true.

If someone is relying on a big corporation to teach their children values, that's a sad indictment of their parenting and really society at large.

• PrimeTime likes this

#37 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:30 PM

If someone is relying on a big corporation to teach their children values, that's a sad indictment of their parenting and really society at large.

To further this people that do not want to bring it up or shield their kids from it are missing opportunities for them to learn from it.  You would be surprised though Dupin.  Why do you think Barkley was such a hot topic back in the day.  It still holds true.

<p>I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#38 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:30 PM

Which you brought up out of nowhere, since no one said anything of the sort.

@DJ_McCann

#39 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:33 PM

Which you brought up out of nowhere, since no one said anything of the sort.

Actually, it's all part of the "the league needs to send the proper message" stuff. It's under that umbrella.

And I brought it up and then you disagreed with it...and you're wrong.

#40 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:35 PM

Actually, it's all part of the "the league needs to send the proper message" stuff. It's under that umbrella.

And I brought it up and then you disagreed with it...and you're wrong.

Then why did you agree with my disagreement?

@DJ_McCann

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=