68 replies to this topic

#1 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:12 PM

Figured we might as well have one, and with his birthday show tomorrow night, now is as good a time as any.

Did anyone get lucky enough to score tickets?

Will anyone be making it a point to listen live?

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#2 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:42 PM

I didn't even try to score tickets.  Big fan of the show -- doubt I will listen live, though.

I really hope Hanzi makes it to the show -- that guy cracks me the F up.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#3 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:46 PM

Yeah Hanzi is the new best wack packer. I die every time they play the "Hi Mommy" drop when he calls in.

I may try to listen to the show tomorrow but I am sure it'll be played a lot in the next few weeks and I'll catch up on it then.

I need more of the Asian Pete game.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:46 PM

Crazy hearing how emotional the Wack Pack was about hoping to get tickets.

#5 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:48 PM

They all deserve to go...they are what makes the show so great.

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:53 PM

They all deserve to go...they are what makes the show so great.

They are what I hate most about the show personally.

I don't like the interviews... Stern is a very good interviewer, even if the interviews are often formulaic... he does get good info out of the guests... but I don't usually like the celeb interviews.

The wack pack bores me.

What I like best about the show is the interaction of the staff, the day-to-day bs. Frankly, I like the Wrap Up Show better. (Also liked the Back Office Show.)

Still miss Artie.

#7 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:10 PM

I agree on interviews, unless it's someone like Jonah Hill who loves Stern and is willing to give him info he wouldn't give in another interview. But they are basically repetitive...how much are you worth, how many women do you sleep with, how big is your penis...

I also think the day to day interaction is the best part of the show, but when someone on the Wack Pack is on a roll...Eric the Midget...Hanzi...it's great every time they call in. Fred makes those segments that much better with drops and impersonations. But it can get tedious at times.

I also miss Artie. Every time they play a repeat and I hear him I think "that was the golden era of the HS show". It was good before Artie, and has been good after him, but he was a major part of making that show the greatest it has ever been -- and he was a drug addict during the entire time, too. Crazy.

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:50 PM

One other repetitive themes in interviews.... "There are no accidents... every mistake is self-sabotage and/or a subconscious cry for attention."

With as much as Stern complains about his staff, I wish someone would ask him what that says about who he has surrounded himself with.

Myself, I think he has a staff that keeps together for their loyalty, and for their exploitable failings.

#9 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:54 PM

One other repetitive themes in interviews.... "There are no accidents... every mistake is self-sabotage and/or a subconscious cry for attention."

With as much as Stern complains about his staff, I wish someone would ask him what that says about who he has surrounded himself with.

Myself, I think he has a staff that keeps together for their loyalty, and for their exploitable failings.

And it makes for entertaining radio. I think most of the on-radio fights are either planned and/or blown out of proportion for the benefit of the entertainment factor.

If not, Howard's distortion of reality is what fuels a majority of them.

#10 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:02 PM

I think Robin is generally considered the most unlikable member of the staff - anyone want to make an argument for anyone else? I will say that I think the show is better when she is back in the studio.

Her 'news' needs some help... she brings up lots of articles which are dated, or she misrepresents information.

Benji can be annoying on the main show.... better on the wrap up show. On the main show it is relatively easy to tell when he is feeding Howard lines.

I've never been a huge fan of Fred.

I like Gary, John, Jason (jackass, but funny) and Will...

JD is our age... at times his limited ability to articulate anything is entertaining. Sometimes it is just sad.

Sal is so dumb. It is unfathomable to me that he passed the Series 7. Him and Richard just make me cringe routinely.

#11 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:44 PM

I think Robin is generally considered the most unlikable member of the staff - anyone want to make an argument for anyone else? I will say that I think the show is better when she is back in the studio.

Her 'news' needs some help... she brings up lots of articles which are dated, or she misrepresents information.

Benji can be annoying on the main show.... better on the wrap up show. On the main show it is relatively easy to tell when he is feeding Howard lines.

I've never been a huge fan of Fred.

I like Gary, John, Jason (jackass, but funny) and Will...

JD is our age... at times his limited ability to articulate anything is entertaining. Sometimes it is just sad.

Sal is so dumb. It is unfathomable to me that he passed the Series 7. Him and Richard just make me cringe routinely.

I love to dislike Robin. She makes it easy, although she definitely earns some props for how she battled cancer. 

Robin is like Howard. They both have a distorted sense of reality due to their wealth and having built the show into what it is. She thinks everyone should be like her (Howard thinks this too) when most people are working class people who don't get 4-day weekends and roughly 2 months of vacation each year to devote to their health, hobbies, whatever. She's also lazy in that she constantly botches simple facts like the names of a movie or TV show. I feel like she just shows up and adds what she does to the show and doesn't put a lot into that. You hear all the time about how hard people work on the show, Howard included, but you don't ever hear that about Robin. Maybe that is due to her cancer, but I don't really ever recall her being involved in the behind the scenes stuff. I could be wrong. She occasionally adds a moment of humor to the show, but I feel like the show doesn't lag without her and in some ways, it gets better. But if I had the choice over Robin or no Robin, I would always choose Robin.

#12 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:27 PM

When is Robin not in the studio?

@bopper33

#13 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:29 PM

I hate the interviews of people I couldn't care less about. He interviewed Lady Gaga for over an hour and it was unbearable.

@bopper33

#14 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:36 PM

When is Robin not in the studio?

She returned in October... was out of the studio for the previous 17 months..  I think she has missed occasional days since.

#15 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:18 PM

Listening to the birthday bash now. Pretty funny...a lot of a listers there tonight.

#16 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:53 AM

Benji got Elisa Jordan a ticket to the birthday show after all. How the F did that happen? Ugh!

@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#17 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:02 AM

Sounds like Ralph had an extra. I listened until 9 last night. Got pretty boring with the Letterman interview. I am sure being there was amazing though. Can't wait to hear all the follow up commentary next week.

#18 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:14 AM

Heard some of it last night...sounds like it was fun.

Hate Robin. Agree with Chris that the wack packers usually bore me. Just turn it off when Marianne is on.

#19 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:43 PM

I used to be a diehard fan, but that was when I could listen often at work and then maybe listen a little at home. Now I don't listen at all at work or during a commute so I'm not going to download each show to listen at home.

With that said, here's some comments:

The show was much better with Artie.

I don't dislike Robin at all, but it's not like she's great either. As an aside, she looks like she's gained all the weight back? That's not cancer related right?

Celebrity interviews are usually quite entertaining to me, but I agree that there's some people I don't care much about. I think Howard is a great interviewer.

The wack pack is hit or miss for me. Some I love like ETM, Hank (RIP), BeetleJuice, Hansy, and Big Black, but others I can do without like Gary and Wendy, Jeff the Drunk, and Mary Ann.

• ChaosLex likes this

#20 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:23 PM

Yeah Robin looks like she put on more weight. I do wonder if it has something to do with cancer or metabolism after chemo.

At any rate better to have her heavier than to not have her at all.
  • BSLChrisStoner and mweb08 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=