122 replies to this topic

#21 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:07 AM

I disagree about Mathews. The kid is just going to be a good player. Never will wow you, but I think he'll be crafty. Good route runner, smart, good hands. He's a possession WR, but not every starting WR has to be a burner or be 6'4.

I like Beckham because of his versatility. He's in that tweener zone for us unless we move down. Wont be there in Round 2 but too early to take him at 17 or 18.

Brings me back to Abbrederis. Another kid in the mold of Mathews. Just finds a way to get open and catch the ball.

That's all that matters really. Sure, its great to have a 6'5 guy that can go up and high point contested balls over CBs bu if if you're making me choose a WR that is almost always covered needing to make contested catches or one that is almost always able to work himself open, Ill take the latter all day.

#22 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:25 AM

That's all that matters really. Sure, its great to have a 6'5 guy that can go up and high point contested balls over CBs bu if if you're making me choose a WR that is almost always covered needing to make contested catches or one that is almost always able to work himself open, Ill take the latter all day.

Especially in Kubiak's system.  A lot of misdirection from play action and open space to throw into.  We want guys that thrive finding that space.

#23 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,332 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:00 PM

BSL: Eric Ebron
http://baltimorespor...ort-eric-ebron/

#24 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:40 PM

Kiper and McShay just released their latest mocks. Both of which have Ebron going to the Ravens. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#25 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:50 PM

With the new Kubiak offense and the expected tagging/resigning of Pitta, I would be surprised if the 1st pick is a TE. Might target a stronger blocking TE in the mid rounds.

#26 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:12 PM

Niklas in the second is a better option for Kubiak IMO, regardless of what happens with Pitta. He can play in line as a blocker but is athletic enough to run up the seam and get open in other ways. Ebron isn't a bad prospect though.

#27 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:39 PM

Niklas in the second is a better option for Kubiak IMO, regardless of what happens with Pitta. He can play in line as a blocker but is athletic enough to run up the seam and get open in other ways. Ebron isn't a bad prospect though.

Love the Troy Niklas mention here. I'm a bit biased as an Irish fan I suppose, but the dude is very physical and probably exactly what the Ravens are looking for at the position in terms of blocking ability while also being a receiving threat who can go up and get it.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#28 BSLMattJergensen

BSLMattJergensen

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:31 AM

After talking with Robert Cessna last night (He covers the Aggies) I don't think Evans warrants a mid-first round pick. Ebron is intriguing though the more I look into him. He's still not the blocker that they need and the Ravens may want to instead pick up a player better suited in the later rounds. 

#29 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:51 AM

After talking with Robert Cessna last night (He covers the Aggies) I don't think Evans warrants a mid-first round pick. Ebron is intriguing though the more I look into him. He's still not the blocker that they need and the Ravens may want to instead pick up a player better suited in the later rounds. 

Yes. He also mentioned that Evans is a bit of a freelancer. Roommates with Manziel so they have great chemistry. But the West coast passing is based on timing, precision. Freelancing is out of the question, IMO. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#30 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:45 AM

I'm glad he was honest about how Evans gets shut down by decent players in the secondary, but it happened in more than just the LSU game. I still think his physicality is overrated, he has issues when someone matches that. Agreed on Ebron as well, especially if they're keeping Pitta. While he's certainly faster than Pitta, Ebron plays a similar role as the move TE. There really isn't a guy that stands out as someone that really fits who this team is and what they want to do, barring some incredibly unforeseen fall. I'm a trade back and recoup the draft picks we lost advocate since there's so much depth but outside of the first few guys there aren't any standout stars.

It was interesting to here he didn't like Matthews as much as Joeckel. I thought there was consensus that Matthews is a better prospect.

#31 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:52 PM

Still so far to go before the draft. Combine, Pro Day, etc. Guys who will move up and down.

At this point though, I think its a little more likely the Ravens go defense 1st round based on who looks like they will and wont be available around 17 or 18. I think the general consensus is we will go offense. I look at the fact that we could use a defensive player at all 3 levels of the defense. FS is a need, LB is a need, and DL could use some talent with  Suggs and Ngata getting older and the expected departure of Jones.

Think of some of the players who are linked around the 15-25 spots. Mosley, CLinton Dix, Pryor, Jernigan, Hageman, Ealy.

#32 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:04 PM

I said the same thing a few weeks ago Bnick.  I think there's a strong chance the Ravens end up going defense with this pick.  Even if it's a trade back.  I think the Ravens can find some value on the DL no matter what.  Nix is a guy that if Pitt doesn't take him there's a shot Baltimore does.  

#33 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 08 February 2014 - 01:59 AM

I've been saying for a while that trading back makes the most sense unless someone unexpected falls (Matthews or Barr perhaps).

I prefer Amaro over Ebron at TE and feel the same about Odell Beckham compared to the concensus top WRs. I think we can trade back and nab either of them later in the first.

I wouldn't be opposed to going Defense either, but really safety is the position that is most pressing IMO. I could see us going after HHCD or Pryor.
@gabefergy

#34 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 02:11 AM

Amaro is not the type of TE who fits this offense.

I'll be surprised if they take a TE in the first two rounds.

OL and to a lesser extent WR are the offensive positions I could see us drafting in Round 1.

Moving down is often a good option in theory, but it takes a team wanting to move up. At this point, 17 or18 doesn't look to be a particularly attractive trading up to spot.

#35 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 08 February 2014 - 03:08 AM

Amaro is not the type of TE who fits this offense.

I'll be surprised if they take a TE in the first two rounds.

OL and to a lesser extent WR are the offensive positions I could see us drafting in Round 1.

Moving down is often a good option in theory, but it takes a team wanting to move up. At this point, 17 or18 doesn't look to be a particularly attractive trading up to spot.

How does Amaro not fit the offense? He would be a perfect fit in a west coast scheme. Big and athletic with excellent movement skills. He can block and he catches everything.
@gabefergy

#36 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:53 AM

My guess is, if the Ravens like Clinton-Dix, he is the guy they hope is there for them.

#37 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 12:46 PM

I think Clinton Dix good possibility if he is there.

Assuming we don't address FS in FA.

#38 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 01:53 PM

If the pick is defense in the 1st rd then my hope if for CJ Mosley. Dude is a beast and an inside LB duo of Mosley and Arthur Brown would be fantastic. Both have great leadership skills but more importantly are 3 down LB's.

#39 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 03:01 PM

My only disagreement is that if it's a win now type atmosphere next year, can we wait for Clinton Dix to catch up.  

The trade off in value of taking a guy like Nix who might help stuff the run and provide real pressure up the middle (not Ngata pressure) could make a difference.  Imagine if we get this year's Sheldon Richardson and I'm not really keying on a guy that fits that, but that kind of impact line player could make just as much of a difference and let us keep the veteran route at the FS spot.

Remember we've been spoiled despite Reed's decline we've had a guy back there for a long time that knows the game, plays instinctively and understands the position.  And we never had to worry about it.  You saw what happens when you stick a rookie in there last year (granted he was way out of position).  

I'm actually pumped about Elam's contributions at SS next year.  I think with Brown being a bit more of the pass defender we'll see him in the box a good amount and he's a good run stuffer.  I do think it makes our ILB position not as strong of a need potentially.  

#40 BSLMattJergensen

BSLMattJergensen

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:55 PM

BSL: Marqise Lee

http://baltimorespor...rt-marqise-lee/

• BSLChrisStoner and Mike in STL like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users