BSL: Calvin Pryor

http://baltimorespor...t-calvin-pryor/

BSL: Mock Draft Round Up: 3 months out
http://baltimorespor...d-three-months/

BSL: Mock Draft 1.0
http://baltimorespor...mock-draft-1-0/

BSL: Ravens Mock Draft 2.0

http://baltimorespor...mock-draft-2-0/

BSL: First Round OTs Lewan or Martin fit the Ravens?

http://bit.ly/1g10mei

#2 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:13 PM

I think Mike Evans is a good prospect, but I do not think he is a good fit for Baltimore especially after hiring Gary Kubiak and a move to a more WC style offense.

Evans best attributes are his size and ability to go up and get contested/jump balls. He was best utilized as a deep threat at aTm and is a relatively raw route runner. 

There are other flaws in his game as well such as limited speed, bad footwork, struggles with gaining separation, and a penchant for pushing off of DBs. Also how much did he benefit from a QB like Manziel who was able to extend plays with a frequency that is not seen in the NFL.

The WCO traditionally focuses more on shorter, high percentage throws and I'm not sure if I see how Evans fits into that equation. In this draft ripe with WR talent I see several other prospects that would be a much better fit.

@gabefergy

#3 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:23 PM

BSL: Mock Draft Round Up: 3 months out
http://baltimorespor...d-three-months/

Eight pundits, six players. Who do you agree with?

• BSLChrisStoner and Icterus galbula like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,015 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:41 PM

I'd prefer a WR or T if a justifiable pick is available at 16/17.  I've not seen Cyrus as highly rated as this guy talks him up to be.  Either that or the writer is very down on Monroe and Oher, who while not amazing, are serviceable starting tackles in the NFL.

• Mike in STL likes this

#5 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:40 PM

If we take Kouandjio I'm going to be really upset.  The guy mocking that must be watching different tape than the rest of us, because he's certainly not better than Monroe.  I don't think he's quick enough to be a LT and the guy can't handle speed rushers at all.  There are a lot of knocks on him, and I think he's grossly overrated at the moment.

It's smarter to trade back this year anyway.  There's only a small handful of players that look like stars, but there's a lot of quality depth with good traits that you can develop.  The difference in a player at 16/17 and one later in the first is going to be negligible.

• Greg Pappas likes this

#6 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:16 PM

I saw Kouandijo's name thrown around a lot more weeks ago. Not so much now. Maybe his stock is slipping, or as you guys suggested hes not as good as previously advertised. 

I too think they either get lucky that Evans falls, or trade back. 

They don't have a history of trading up, except Flacco. Is Mike Evans a guy you think they should trade up to get? Do they have to get him? I doubt they will with the shortage of picks they already have. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#7 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:43 PM

I wouldn't take Mike Evans at 16/17, so I definitely wouldn't trade up for him.  He's not an explosive player and he's going to have a lot of trouble separating in the pros.  While Joe isn't afraid to throw balls into tight windows and have his guys fight for it, Evans is not as physical as his size would indicate and can be shut down more often than one would think.  A lot of his yardage came on those garbage plays where poor tackling let Manziel dance around and throw up a duck.  He's a major project player, he's not the immediate impact guy you would want in the middle of the first round.  I'd also question his character and his effort, he seems like a major diva and I don't think he's the type of player that's going to get high marks from our FO and coaches.  Evans is so popular because A&M got so much media attention and he's getting tacked on to the 'Manziel is the greatest thing ever' narrative that ESPN has been preaching since that Alabama game a couple years ago, not because of his talent.  If he played anywhere else, I don't think we'd be talking about him as a Top 20 pick.

#8 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:14 PM

I wouldn't take Mike Evans at 16/17, so I definitely wouldn't trade up for him.  He's not an explosive player and he's going to have a lot of trouble separating in the pros.  While Joe isn't afraid to throw balls into tight windows and have his guys fight for it, Evans is not as physical as his size would indicate and can be shut down more often than one would think.  A lot of his yardage came on those garbage plays where poor tackling let Manziel dance around and throw up a duck.  He's a major project player, he's not the immediate impact guy you would want in the middle of the first round.  I'd also question his character and his effort, he seems like a major diva and I don't think he's the type of player that's going to get high marks from our FO and coaches.  Evans is so popular because A&M got so much media attention and he's getting tacked on to the 'Manziel is the greatest thing ever' narrative that ESPN has been preaching since that Alabama game a couple years ago, not because of his talent.  If he played anywhere else, I don't think we'd be talking about him as a Top 20 pick.

Its very possible, every thing you said. It's just that the majority experts have him listed as a top end pick, and the 2nd WR taken after Watkins. Obviously there are busts in the league. But I think someone will take Evans before the Ravens get to 16/17. Someone will see him as a difference maker. Time will only tell if he is or not.

@BSLMikeRandall

#9 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:23 PM

Would the Ravens pull a Julio Jones to go after Watkins?  After seeing the Falcons crash to earth though, you do have to wonder how much of the stars and srubs stuff was overdone and exacerbated by that trade.

#10 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:54 PM

Would the Ravens pull a Julio Jones to go after Watkins? After seeing the Falcons crash to earth though, you do have to wonder how much of the stars and srubs stuff was overdone and exacerbated by that trade.

Doesn't seem like an Ozzie type move. I wouldn't completely rule against trading up, but I would be shocked if we move up out of the teens.

#11 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,015 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:04 PM

Agree that a big move forward doesn't seem like an Ozzie-type move.  How many times have we moved up in the first round under him?  Travis Taylor, Kyle Boller, Joe Flacco (after first trading back), and Michael Oher are the ones I recall.  Any others?

I guess 17 to the top-5 wouldn't cost as much as the Flacons had to pay to move up for Jones, but it would still cost a lot.  Next year's first rounder for sure.

• Icterus galbula likes this

#12 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:06 PM

Agree that a big move forward doesn't seem like an Ozzie-type move. How many times have we moved up in the first round under him? Travis Taylor, Kyle Boller, Joe Flacco (after first trading back), and Michael Oher are the ones I recall. Any others?

We swapped picks with Cleveland to make sure someone wouldn't steal Ngata from us.
  • Mackus likes this

#13 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:39 PM

I like Ebron or Lee in the first although a trade back would be the ideal move IMO. I don't like Evans or Benjamin for the Ravens as I think they are both projects. I think we need a more consistent, possession type WR that can do more than run 9 routes and catch jump balls.

I also wouldn't be opposed to going defense either. Clinton-Dix and Calvin Pryor would both be good fit as would Mosley.
@gabefergy

#14 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:46 PM

Well I'm glad some are jumping off the Evans bandwagon.

I'm souring on Mosley a little bit right now too. I'm not even going to look up how to spell it but hell no on the Bama tackle mentioned above.

Clinton Dix, Zach Martin, maybe Ebron. Trading back to the early to mid 20s and picking up a 3 rd would be awesome.

I'd be fine taking Benjamin, Mosley, Amaro,etc there.

#15 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:42 AM

The Lee/Benjamin conundrum is an interesting one. Personally I side with Michael Salfino when it comes to WRs - a .1 difference in 40 times means almost nothing in pads. However, a 4 inch advantage over the corner could mean everything.

I lean towards Evans & Benjamin for that reason. That said, I think the Ravens could use a Wes Welker style possession receiver (as many of you have mentioned) and I don't know if any of the guys in the first round have that skill set. Maybe Lee, but I'm not really sure.

I'm not really sold on Clinton Dix, so my preference would be to trade down and probably take Benjamin in the mid 20s. Fill holes at LB & TE in the middle rounds.

@JeffLongBP

#16 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:27 PM

I have to echo the sentiments by previous posters on Kouandjio. I can't say I've seen a tremendous amount of film on him, but he got abused in the Sugar Bowl and doesn't strike me as a guy who would thrive in a zone blocking scheme.

I've always liked Lee, and given the Kubiak development, I've become more of the mind that he would be a good fit, and a good pick at that spot.

Hadn't given much thought to trading back, though I suppose it's a pretty safe fallback.

#17 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:20 PM

Unless we do something unexpected in FA, I really think a few of the early rounds will be spent on finding players that fit Kubiak's schemes and philosophy. OL and WR being the two most likely.

I also think we could draft a blocking TE and potentially a RB that fits the ZBS in the middle to late rounds.

#18 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:27 PM

The Lee/Benjamin conundrum is an interesting one. Personally I side with Michael Salfino when it comes to WRs - a .1 difference in 40 times means almost nothing in pads. However, a 4 inch advantage over the corner could mean everything.

I lean towards Evans & Benjamin for that reason. That said, I think the Ravens could use a Wes Welker style possession receiver (as many of you have mentioned) and I don't know if any of the guys in the first round have that skill set. Maybe Lee, but I'm not really sure.

I'm not really sold on Clinton Dix, so my preference would be to trade down and probably take Benjamin in the mid 20s. Fill holes at LB & TE in the middle rounds.

The problem with Benjamin is his hands are below average at best.  He disappeared for large portions of games because he can't catch well, and he's also old for a rookie.  There's a reason he was pretty much absent from that National Title game until the end.  We've seen plenty of receivers with size flame out before.  If you don't know how to use that advantage and if you can't get open, what good are you?  Benjamin looks like a bust to me, I'd rather have Evans, but I'm not a fan of either.

I'd also like to contest the need for a Wes Welker type.  Marlon Brown had difficulty getting open on the outside and looks more like a slot receiver to me, which is essentially what Welker is.  And Welker isn't a possession receiver, he's a savvy route runner.  He caught a lot of balls because the Pats and Broncos could scheme him open, but he actually drops a lot of balls and his reputation as this phenomenally sure handed guy is unfounded.

I'm not a Clinton-Dix fan either though.  He seemed to get lost in coverage more than he should.

#19 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:34 PM

Yes, Brown needs to work from the slot. If we are drafting a WR, it needs to be someone on the outside. I'm warming to Lee. Would also be fine with Robinson or Mathews in Round 2.

#20 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:46 PM

Yes, Brown needs to work from the slot. If we are drafting a WR, it needs to be someone on the outside. I'm warming to Lee. Would also be fine with Robinson or Mathews in Round 2.

I think there are a few question marks about Robinson's hands, and his production was inflated from an extremely large amount of screen passes.  He's a lot more raw than you would think.  That being said, he does look pretty explosive, more explosive than Matthews at least.  He's an interesting player, but I always worry about people getting too infatuated with local guys (i.e. from Maryland and Penn State).  Matthews just isn't that impressive of an athlete and is going to have trouble separating in the pros.  He hasn't displayed enough to convince me he's capable of consistently making contested catches to alleviate that fear either.  There's a lot to like about him, I just think he has a low ceiling compared to a lot of other players.

For what it's worth, Odell Beckham Jr. is my favorite receiver in the class, and he looks just big enough to play on the outside.  He's explosive in his route running to get open and can make tough catches.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=