296 replies to this topic

#41 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:44 AM

Only thing I wasn't a huge fan of last night was the "fresh paint job" being the big break that led them to Yellow King. Seems a bit far fetched... but it really isn't a big deal at all and didn't take away any of the enjoyment I had watching the show last night.

I actually quite like that it was literal green ears in that way, and I liked that Marty figured it out.

#42 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:46 AM

Man that was just a super creepy ending but well executed.  The Yellow King was truly a sick, sick man and his half sister...gross!  

Great show though and MM and WH really deserve Emmy awards.

#43 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:12 PM

A good interview with the actress who played Audrey (Marty's daughter) that helps answer some of the mystery around her character - http://www.thedailyb...-tells-all.html

Also, I find it pretty damn funny that she originally auditioned for the prostitute that Marty bangs out later in the season. :lol:

#44 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:30 PM

She wasn't a prostitute when Marty banged her, not that Lili Simmons stacked up to Alexandra Daddario.

Anyone think the episode was a little Peter Jackson in Return of the King-esque?  I felt like there were multiple ending points and they would've been better served closing on an earlier one.  

#45 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:39 PM

Anyone think the episode was a little Peter Jackson in Return of the King-esque?  I felt like there were multiple ending points and they would've been better served closing on an earlier one.  

If the story was primarily about the serial killer and how he was caught, then I'd agree.  But the serial killings were just the vehicle to tell the story of Cohle and Hart, so you had to see them past when the case ended, IMO, unless they were dead.

#46 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:58 PM

If the story was primarily about the serial killer and how he was caught, then I'd agree.  But the serial killings were just the vehicle to tell the story of Cohle and Hart, so you had to see them past when the case ended, IMO, unless they were dead.

Yeah, I agree.  I thought the episode might have been over when they flipped each other off in the hospital, and then again when they showed the tree where the victim was found.  But I would have felt ripped off if it had ended there - they needed a final scene with Rust and Marty.

#47 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:59 PM

Yeah, I agree.  I thought the episode might have been over when they flipped each other off in the hospital, and then again when they showed the tree where the victim was found.  But I would have felt ripped off if it had ended there - they needed a final scene with Rust and Marty.

I loved the final scene and dialogue about evil. It was great stuff. And also showing more of Rust's emotional side. Great ending. Loved the scene too with Rust and Marty flipping each other off, that was great.

#48 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:05 PM

Yeah, I agree. I thought the episode might have been over when they flipped each other off in the hospital, and then again when they showed the tree where the victim was found. But I would have felt ripped off if it had ended there - they needed a final scene with Rust and Marty.

I would've ended it there at the flipping off scene.

#49 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:21 PM

I would've ended it there at the flipping off scene.

I think you could've moved Cohle's last speech about feeling his daughter and father into that scene, and then ended it with the flicking each other off.  I think the point that Cohle was making in that speech was important to his story, though.  He's not exactly saying he believes in God or anything, but he's admitting that there may be something physical, and real, beyond just what we see here.  Pretty big change for him, and I think that had to be included if you're telling his story and not The Tale of the Yellow King of Carcosa.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#50 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:24 PM

I think you could've moved Cohle's last speech about feeling his daughter and father into that scene, and then ended it with the flicking each other off.  I think the point that Cohle was making in that speech was important to his story, though.  He's not exactly saying he believes in God or anything, but he's admitting that there may be something physical, and real, beyond just what we see here.  Pretty big change for him, and I think that had to be included if you're telling his story and not The Tale of the Yellow King of Carcosa.

The interesting thing is that they also made it a point to make sure that Carcosa believed that the end of your life isn't "the end". Kind of tied into that in a round about way. I agree with you though.

#51 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:44 PM

The quick hit synopsis of Season 2 sounds pretty awesome as well.  Wonder if they'll get some A-listers to slum it on TV for a year like they did with McConaughey and Harrelson.

“Okay. This is really early, but I’ll tell you (it’s about) hard women, bad men and the secret occult history of the United States transportation system.”

#52 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:13 PM

The quick hit synopsis of Season 2 sounds pretty awesome as well.  Wonder if they'll get some A-listers to slum it on TV for a year like they did with McConaughey and Harrelson.

I wouldn't call something that well written and that well produced to be slumming it.  I don't think TV is looked down as much as it was either, especially not HBO.  And Harrelson has done plenty of stuff for them before, he played a big role in Game Change if memory serves.  HBO doesn't put out bad stuff, except for Girls.

I am excited to see who they'll get for Season 2.  I'd have some people I'd like to see in the show, but I don't know who'd fit the new characters.

#53 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:02 AM

I can buy Marty noticing the paint job.

I can't buy the old lady remembering so much information about the people who painted her house almost 20 years ago. That was nonsense.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#54 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:51 AM

The last 15 wasn't that exciting, but man that first 2/3's was incredibly suspenseful.  I liked how they introduced the villain as well, he was very Wild Bill-esque.

I didn't mind it and to me that made it seem like an actual novel or story.  There's always gonna be some anti-climax after the super-duper-climax.  Almost kinda a way to let the reader/viewer stabilize after one wild ride.

Finally got around to watching this episode last night and that was just a great series.  It's already on my must-own dvd list.  And yes, the first 2/3's was suspenseful as a mug.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#55 JamesGallden

JamesGallden
  • Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:25 PM

What in the world does the occult of the transportation system mean?

#56 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:36 PM

What in the world does the occult of the transportation system mean?

I was thinking doing weird stuff to people in abandoned subways or something.

#57 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:57 PM

Could be human sex trafficking. 

#58 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:59 PM

I was thinking of drifters using freight trains to get around the country, and perhaps some sort of group preying on them.

#59 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:45 PM

Do we know the starring actors/actresses yet?

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#60 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:32 PM

Do we know the starring actors/actresses yet?

No.  Technically the show hasn't even been renewed yet, probably just waiting for the big names in casting to be official first is what I've read.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=