296 replies to this topic

#61 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,660 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:41 AM

Just breezed through the season in 3 days. Great show, both leads were excellent. I do agree the ending dragged on...I expected Cohle to die and say something like, "Oh" meaning he sees there's a heaven or afterlife and/or has a vision we can either interpret as heaven or just another one of his visions. The show always felt like it was leading up to Cohle's death and finding peace, and the end felt like a diversion from that inevitability. But maybe he can come back in future seasons, who knows.

Very excited about what this show does for TV. Mini seasons with big actors. Condensed no bullshit filler stories. I think you may see this more often. American Horror Story did it first, but a show like TD can take the ball and do it much better.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#62 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:52 AM

Be awesome if Jennifer Lawrence was one of the detectives next year.

#63 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,966 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:12 AM

I expected Cohle to die and say something like, "Oh" meaning he sees there's a heaven or afterlife and/or has a vision we can either interpret as heaven or just another one of his visions. 

That would kind of have been a rip off of Captain Kirk's death in Generations, though.

#64 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,660 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:24 AM

That would kind of have been a rip off of Captain Kirk's death in Generations, though.

Never saw it. Didn't know about that.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#65 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,660 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:25 AM

Be awesome if Jennifer Lawrence was one of the detectives next year.

I like it but her schedule is probably pretty busy. And they need to film this over the summer or fall if it's going to be on air next February.

I do like the idea of a younger actress with an older actress if they're going to do women cops this time. 

#66 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:39 AM

I doubt they can get someone like Jennifer Lawrence right now.  I agree it'd be cool to see her on the show, she's a great actress, but she's just too big right now with movies.  The guys they just had are definite A-listers, especially McConaughey, but they are a bit later into their careers and not just destroying the world like Jennifer Lawrence is right now.

And, even though she can play older than her age, I think she might be too young to be even the young detective.  You gotta be a cop for quite some time before becoming a detective.  And even if they make a young character someone who is just making that transition, I think it'd be on the edge of how old she could reasonably pull off.

#67 JamesGallden

JamesGallden
  • Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:22 PM

• Dupin likes this

#68 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:32 PM

Just now seeing the end of episode four tracking shot. Holy shit. Maybe the best sequence I've ever seen on TV?
  • Markus likes this

#69 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:20 AM

Just now seeing the end of episode four tracking shot. Holy shit. Maybe the best sequence I've ever seen on TV?

It might be.  I still can't believe that's one continuous take.

• BobPhelan likes this

#70 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:16 AM

That's a particularly great one because you don't even notice that it's just one shot on the first viewing.  At least I didn't.  I love the long shots in movies like Goodfellas and Boogie Nights, but I think you start to notice that it's a long shot after a little while and you start appreciating the directing and shooting in the moment, which kind of pulls you out of that world of being in the movie.  The True Detective one there was so much going on, and I guess the changes in camera location were subtle enough that I never noticed, or at least mentally clicked, that it was one shot until afterwards and rewatching it.

Really amazing shot.

• BobPhelan likes this

#71 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:13 AM

^Agreed.  First time seeing that episode/scene I was just so caught up in the "moment" of that freaking madness I didn't realize it was all one shot/scene/take.  It took me reading about it the next day/following week to realize what it was and than upon subsequent viewing of that episode it made it even more awesome watching that and actually noticing that it was one shot and all the production and planning that must've gone into making that work.

One of my buddies, who's a huge movie/tv buff, finally got into TD a few weeks ago (as I had told him we weren't friends until he started watching it) and the last time I talked to him he said he was about to watch episode 4.  I so cannot wait to talk to him this weekend so we can both geek out over that final scene.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#72 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:15 AM

I had heard so much about the shot when it happened that I was anticipating it but my god. So effective, so much going on. I could rewatch it over and over and probably get something new from it each time.

I'm not gonna lie I wasn't completely sold on the show until episode four. I was enjoying it quite a bit but now it's jumped up a level with that shot and the Woody Harrelson family stuff. Can't wait to see the last half.

#73 BSLMattJergensen

BSLMattJergensen

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:17 AM

Just buzzed through this over the weekend.

Simply fantastic. Well acted, beautifully shot. I wouldn't have changed a thing.

• BobPhelan likes this

#74 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:22 AM

Yeah I finished it over the weekend as well. Loved it. Episodes 1-3 were a slow burn but absolutely necessary in paying off the character moments later on.

#75 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:39 PM

Got some Season 2 news: http://variety.com/2...ing-1201193624/

Summing it up, there's going to be 3 leads this time and it's going to be set in California.

#76 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:52 PM

I read in a few places that Brad Pitt was rumored to be one of the leads.

#77 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:00 PM

Brad Pitt would be pretty sweet, I could definitely get on board with that.  Chastain denied the rumors that she was going to be involved, she would've been alright as well.

#78 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:22 PM

Brad Pitt would be pretty sweet, I could definitely get on board with that.  Chastain denied the rumors that she was going to be involved, she would've been alright as well.

She's the best actress working today so yeah that would've been awesome.

#79 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,660 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:25 AM

Just saw a report that had a sound-byte from William Friedkin praising the series. Word is he could potentially direct some or all of the next season. That would be awesome.

#80 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:24 PM

Revealing the plot for season two...

http://www.reddit.co...history_of_the/

@DJ_McCann

0 user(s) are reading this topic