4263 replies to this topic

#161 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:57 PM

The same thing happened with me and Rocky. Saw Rocky IV before any of the others. The flashbacks made me feel there was this epic saga that I'd come in too late on. It's a unique way to discover a film series that way. I think the childhood discovery is what makes the movies so special.

Same here!
@BSLMikeRandall

#162 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:37 PM

Someone Is Tweeting Top Gun One Frame At A Time

• Pedro Cerrano and Mike in STL like this
@DJ_McCann

#163 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,632 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:03 PM

Rewatching Raging Bull, one of the best movies ever made IMO.

Watched The Apartment for the first time yesterday, another classic. Jack Lemon is amazing in it, it lives up to its reputation.
  • Mike in STL likes this

#164 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:10 PM

Anyone seen Rush? What's your take. I loved it. One of those that should be up for awards this year. Ron Howard nailed it.
@BSLMikeRandall

#165 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,632 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:17 PM

Anyone seen Rush? What's your take. I loved it. One of those that should be up for awards this year. Ron Howard nailed it.

I thought the script and direction betrayed the fantastic cinematography and performances. Like a great artist painting a coloring book, it could've been so much more. 7.5/10

#166 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,694 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:43 AM

Agreed. The performances were very good but it felt like that awful Driven movie starring Stallone than it did an Academy Award winning film.
  • BobPhelan likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#167 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,632 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:49 AM

Some scenes are great but then there's stuff like the guy with the stop watch doing a double take.

#168 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,762 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:23 AM

Well here you go, first trailer for Guardians of the Galaxy.  Curious to see how this one does at the box office.

#169 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:39 AM

Agreed. The performances were very good but it felt like that awful Driven movie starring Stallone than it did an Academy Award winning film.

I dont think it was anything like that garbage film aside from being based on F1 racing. Like comparing Raging Bull to Rocky V.

I really enjoyed the telling of the story. Great development of the main characters.
@BSLMikeRandall

#170 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,694 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:45 AM

I think the direction and style of the film tried to be like every other race car film. It should have given the characters more time to develop. And the racing scenes were cliched, down to the broadcaster announcing.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#171 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,632 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:35 AM

I liked the racing scenes, they looked great visually. I didn't like every woman dropping her panties every time James Hunt walked in the room, including a mom on an airplane.

#172 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,632 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:36 AM

Well here you go, first trailer for Guardians of the Galaxy.  Curious to see how this one does at the box office.

Great first look. Can't wait. Might skip any other trailers.

#173 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,318 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:43 AM

Well here you go, first trailer for Guardians of the Galaxy. Curious to see how this one does at the box office.

I'm surprised at how good that looks. Granted, you can't always trust the trailer, but I thought this was a stupid idea for the next Marvel film and they might have made it good.

#174 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,094 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:09 PM

So I didn't care for this. It connected way too conveniently and the boys reaction was way over the top IMO.

Recently saw this as well.  Think I agree with you.  I didn't dislike it, but didn't think it all made a ton of sense.  Why was Bradley Cooper such a bad father?  Why did Gosling's son freak out like that?  Why did it spend 15 minutes in the middle being a movie about police corruption?  Why was rich DA Cross's son at the same HS as poor Handsome Luke's son and not at some private school, even after deciding to switch to live with his dad?

I think they had 3 interesting movie ideas and tried to cram it all into one movie.  Yeah, I get it, triptych and all (I helped my girlfriend cram for Art History), but the three sections all seemed too disjointed.

The movie I wanted it to be was the first third, with Bradley Cooper being the cop chasing him over multiple heists.  I guess they made that movie already in Boston and called it The Town, not Schenectady.  But I think I would've liked that more.

• mweb08 likes this

#175 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,388 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:34 PM

Recently saw this as well.  Think I agree with you.  I didn't dislike it, but didn't think it all made a ton of sense.  Why was Bradley Cooper such a bad father?  Why did Gosling's son freak out like that?  Why did it spend 15 minutes in the middle being a movie about police corruption?  Why was rich DA Cross's son at the same HS as poor Handsome Luke's son and not at some private school, even after deciding to switch to live with his dad?

I think they had 3 interesting movie ideas and tried to cram it all into one movie.  Yeah, I get it, triptych and all (I helped my girlfriend cram for Art History), but the three sections all seemed too disjointed.

The movie I wanted it to be was the first third, with Bradley Cooper being the cop chasing him over multiple heists.  I guess they made that movie already in Boston and called it The Town, not Schenectady.  But I think I would've liked that more.

Yes. Very well thought out critique of the movie. I agree that the first third of the movie was by far the most compelling and then they tried to cram too much into the rest and like I said, there were too many convenient occurrences to tie everything together. Many of the characters were not very well developed either as you point out with led to me being somewhat apathetic to what happened with them.

Oh, and have at it Ricker.  ;)

#176 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,632 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:08 PM

I would've liked to see the movie Mackus described too but still loved what was presented.

#177 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,694 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:46 AM

So there's a new Terminator movie in the works. Sarah Clarke as Sarah Conner, Jason Clarke as John Connor and Jai Courtney as Kyle Reese. Alan Taylor from The Sopranos and Thor 2 is directing. Supposedly a reboot but still tying into the main series. I like everyone else loved T1 and T2, enjoyed T3 and TS was a disappointment with some very good aspects.

We'll see.

• Mike in STL likes this

#178 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:17 AM

So there's a new Terminator movie in the works. Sarah Clarke as Sarah Conner, Jason Clarke as John Connor and Jai Courtney as Kyle Reese. Alan Taylor from The Sopranos and Thor 2 is directing. Supposedly a reboot but still tying into the main series. I like everyone else loved T1 and T2, enjoyed T3 and TS was a disappointment with some very good aspects.

We'll see.

I love the James Cameron ones. T3 was awful because it created a completely different timeline and pretty cheeseball. "She'll be back." Please. I didn't watch the TV series either because I figured it was more of the same. I think Salvation was great because it was getting back to the original timeline. The John and Kyle relationship starts. They just discover the T-800 "Arnold" model. We figure out how John gets the scar on his face the older version of him has at the beginning of T2.
I was really looking forward to the rest of the that series with Bale as Connor to see how they complete the timeline, introduce the T-1000, figure out the time displacement stuff to plan out what becomes the first and second films. But apparently the film company or distributor went out of business. Hope these reboots go along with Cameron's story and timeline, pick up where Salvation left off, instead of creating what would be a third alternate timeline.
@BSLMikeRandall

#179 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,694 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:22 AM

Any movie past T2 was going to alter the timeline because the Cameron timeline was closed at the end of T2.

T3 was corny in parts but I still enjoyed it. A lot more than I thought I would. And TS continues T3's timeline. 

TS could have been a lot different than it ended up being. As it is, it advances nothing. Yeah John gets the scar and all but beyond that nothing happens. Originally, John was to be killed at the end (like he almost does in the movie) and Marcus becomes Conner. It would be a slap in the face of the series, to have Connor a robot but if these movies aren't canon why not go with something completely out of left field to keep it relevant?

#180 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,641 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:29 AM

Yea I never understood how they still had a "Judgment Day" in T3 or whatever -- I saw the movie once in the theater and was, um, under the influence during it so I didn't really pay much attention.

I'm assuming that despite all of Dyson's research being destroyed there was something left over?

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=