#4021 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 27 December 2021 - 11:17 PM

Don't Look Up is really good.

About 30 minutes too long. But definitely a good satire. All too real.
  • mweb08 and CantonJester like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#4022 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 28 December 2021 - 07:41 AM

Don't Look Up is really good.

Yeah, definitely enjoyed.

Also finally watched Trial of the Chicago 7. Just great.

#4023 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 28 December 2021 - 07:56 AM

Do I have to see the other 13 Spider-Man's first? 

We saw it last week.  It helps.  I had seen all of the Tobey Maguire movies but none of the Andrew Garfield ones.  You'll definitely not understand a reference or 2 if you haven't seen those but it's still a fun movie anyway.

#4024 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,618 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 28 December 2021 - 08:14 AM

Licorice Pizza SUCKED
  • NewMarketSean likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#4025 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 28 December 2021 - 09:10 AM

Licorice Pizza SUCKED

Damn. Not what I wanted to hear. Looking forward to getting around to it.
@BSLMikeRandall

#4026 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,686 posts

Posted 28 December 2021 - 11:45 AM

About 30 minutes too long. But definitely a good satire. All too real.

The wife and I started watching it the other night, but when we had to pause the movie (at around 1h:10m) into it for a bathroom break, we both laughed at the fact we were just past the halfway mark. Not sure we’ll finish it. 

#4027 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,995 posts

Posted 28 December 2021 - 12:13 PM

The running joke about Jennifer Lawrence trying to understand why the General charged them for the snacks was my favorite part of the movie.  Good all around.  Tons of excellent performances, particularly from Streep and Blanchett.  The message slammed you in the face a bit too hard, but as someone generally on the side of the teller of the joke and not the subject, it didn't bother me.  Being so antagonistic, I doubt it will change or open any minds, but what does these days?

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#4028 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 28 December 2021 - 12:56 PM

The running joke about Jennifer Lawrence trying to understand why the General charged them for the snacks was my favorite part of the movie.  Good all around.  Tons of excellent performances, particularly from Streep and Blanchett.  The message slammed you in the face a bit too hard, but as someone generally on the side of the teller of the joke and not the subject, it didn't bother me.  Being so antagonistic, I doubt it will change or open any minds, but what does these days?

Yeah, that running bit was good.

While you say the message slammed you in the face a bit too hard, I'd venture a guess that quite a few on the subject side as you put it, won't even get it. I'd also ask if it really did slam us in the face too hard given where we are at these days. Satire has had its absurdity consistently matched or even surpassed by reality in recent years. What was once nah that would never happen is now par for the course. 

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#4029 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 28 December 2021 - 01:01 PM

Watched the Original Ninja Turtles movie last night.  My oldest (11) thought it was lame and went to do something else, but my youngest 6 was all about it.  Of course my wife and I are always down for some early 90's nostalgia.

• Mashed Potatoes likes this

#4030 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 28 December 2021 - 03:04 PM

Yeah, that running bit was good.

While you say the message slammed you in the face a bit too hard, I'd venture a guess that quite a few on the subject side as you put it, won't even get it. I'd also ask if it really did slam us in the face too hard given where we are at these days. Satire has had its absurdity consistently matched or even surpassed by reality in recent years. What was once nah that would never happen is now par for the course.

The only part that would would never happen is the rednecks being like “they lied to us!”
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#4031 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 28 December 2021 - 03:09 PM

The only part that would would never happen is the rednecks being like “they lied to us!”

Lol. That's been happening with covid though. Not for all to be fair as some literally die believing it's all a hoax, but some realize it as they're dying as do some of their loved ones. 

#4032 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 10:56 AM

The Rock and Diesel are clearly not the best of buddies.

Rock claims he is not interested in coming back to the F&F.

My opinion, his ego doesn't like playing 2nd banana.

The Rock felt when he joined the franchise, his diva size ego, felt he was now the top star, and dont believe that sat well with those that had built that franchise into what it was.

#4033 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,665 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 07:01 PM

The Rock doesn’t need the F&F franchise like Diesel does. He can make another Disney movie based on a ride and it’ll make half a billion. Everything Diesel has done outside of the franchise has bombed. But I do like the Riddick movies though.

I was hoping he’d be the next Arnold but he’s pretty much been stuck in the Jingle All the Way portion of Arnold’s career since jump street.

He may be successful but I don’t care for him.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#4034 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 17 January 2022 - 02:34 PM

The wife and I watched "The Last Duel" last night.  Some good performances in there, but not many likeable characters.

#4035 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,665 posts

Posted 18 January 2022 - 07:25 PM

Juice turns 30 today.

https://www.sis2sis....first-role/amp/

Launched Tupac’s career; he got the role after walking in with a friend who was up for the role and auditioning for 15 mins.

Ernest Dickerson, who directed a lot of The Wire and Walking Dead episodes, directed the film. He had been DP for Spike Lee.

I love this movie. It was a lot like Stand by Me in that it was about a group of kids figuring things out and a movie that never seemed to age or become out of date as I got older.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#4036 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,665 posts

Posted 28 January 2022 - 09:50 AM

Watched Dune last night. Sad  I didn't see it on the big screen. Awesome movie. Probably the best blockbuster(?) I've seen in twenty years.

• BobPhelan, Mashed Potatoes and Dupin like this

#4037 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,618 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 28 January 2022 - 12:15 PM

Watched Dune last night. Sad I didn't see it on the big screen. Awesome movie. Probably the best blockbuster(?) I've seen in twenty years.

Saw it twice. Terrific.
  • BobPhelan likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#4038 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 28 January 2022 - 03:32 PM

I also feel like I need to see it in theaters, but haven't had the opportunity yet. It was amazing even on my small TV screen

• BobPhelan likes this
@DaKittenz

#4039 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 28 January 2022 - 04:28 PM

I must officially be the only person bored to death during Dune. Appreciate the giant set pieces. But otherwise, meh.

“Are you the chosen one” has been done a billion times.
@BSLMikeRandall

#4040 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 28 January 2022 - 06:29 PM

I must officially be the only person bored to death during Dune. Appreciate the giant set pieces. But otherwise, meh.

“Are you the chosen one” has been done a billion times.

Didn't hate it. Didn't love it. Wondered if I would've liked it better if I had read the books?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=