• Please log in to reply
169 replies to this topic

#141 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 08:23 PM

The Julian Edelman Hall of Fame argument is generally only advanced by 2 sorts of people: 1) #Patriots homers and 2) Folks who mix Edelman, Wes Welker and Danny Amendola into one Gundam slot white guy.

• Chris B likes this

#142 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 08:32 PM

Totally agree, but you didn't see all the talk about Edelman being a HOF'er when he retired the other day? Crazy.

Almost daily something will pop up on BSL that confirms to me that my decision to avoid social media and most media in general is a wise one. Thank you BSL.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#143 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 06:22 AM

Almost daily something will pop up on BSL that confirms to me that my decision to avoid social media and most media in general is a wise one. Thank you BSL.

There is one good thing about social media. I can converse and see whats going on with my kids, grandkids and great grandchild and extended family members.

We also have a private family page, and we can discuss and show things, that we dont want the full blown public involved with.

#144 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 03 August 2021 - 07:41 AM

CBS Sports: NFL's all-time non-Hall of Fame 53-man roster: Michael Vick, Bo Jackson headline all-star squad

https://www.cbssport...all-star-squad/

#145 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 08 August 2021 - 06:51 AM

#146 JimJohnson

JimJohnson

HOF

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 August 2021 - 08:58 AM

Interesting piece from former Colt Bruce Laird in yesterdays Sun, passionately advocating for several of his former Baltimore Colt teammates to be inducted in the Hall of Fame. He also criticizes what he believes is an overly political process. 

I think Laird made a good case for those he cited for consideration under what seems to be the current standards for induction. 

Personally, though, I'm a "small hall" guy, believing that admission to a Hall of Fame should be a measure of greatness, not being very good for a long time. Sure, that's subjective, especially in football where statistics give a very limited picture of how players at most positions are, but it's pretty subjective.

What say you, BSL/Raven Nation? 

Laird: Pro Football Hall of Fame Rules Cheat Deserving Players Out of Induction

Jim Johnson
BSL Contributor

#147 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 10 August 2021 - 11:32 AM

Interesting piece from former Colt Bruce Laird in yesterdays Sun, passionately advocating for several of his former Baltimore Colt teammates to be inducted in the Hall of Fame. He also criticizes what he believes is an overly political process. 

I think Laird made a good case for those he cited for consideration under what seems to be the current standards for induction. 

Personally, though, I'm a "small hall" guy, believing that admission to a Hall of Fame should be a measure of greatness, not being very good for a long time. Sure, that's subjective, especially in football where statistics give a very limited picture of how players at most positions are, but it's pretty subjective.

The one IMO, that is a real oversight, IMO, was #32 Mike Curtis..  The Mad Stork, Ted Hendricks is in, and rightfully so, and, I always think Mike had the bigger impact and was the better player.

@mikeghg

#148 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 10 August 2021 - 11:49 AM

Bobby Boyd, is another interesting one.  I think he finished his Colt Career with 57 interceptions and if memory serves, he played less than 10 years.  He was the captain of the Colts defensive backfield.

I am not sure he is a HOF guy, but he was a damn good football player and a ball hawk.

Bobby was part owner with Unitas in the Golden Arm Restaurant that was on York Road.  He and John would sit and tell stories, with the diners.  My Dad and I were regulars on Friday night.

Bobby was a QB at Oklahoma but he said, he had no thoughts that he could be a QB in the NFL, especially after watching Unitas.  He became a damn good corner.

Bobby told us a story, about how he was the alternate plan, to Tom Matte, when Tom played QB against the Packers in 1965.  His advice to Tom, "Please do not get hurt".

• Old Man likes this
@mikeghg

#149 JimJohnson

JimJohnson

HOF

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 August 2021 - 06:22 AM

Even from a "small hall" perspective, IMHO Mike Curtis belongs in the Hall. As I recall, Hendricks was more about making the spectacular plays, where Curtis was the grinder who kept stuffing runners and knocking people down, which could explain why the Mad Stork is in and Curtis is not. I hope that omission is soon rectified. 

Jim Johnson
BSL Contributor

#150 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 11 August 2021 - 11:28 AM

Even from a "small hall" perspective, IMHO Mike Curtis belongs in the Hall. As I recall, Hendricks was more about making the spectacular plays, where Curtis was the grinder who kept stuffing runners and knocking people down, which could explain why the Mad Stork is in and Curtis is not. I hope that omission is soon rectified. 

Mad Dog was definitely a grinder, but he did make his share of big plays too.  None bigger than the pick with about a minute to go in Super Bowl 5, against the Cowboys..   The pick led to Jim O'Brien's field goal and the Colts were Super Bowl champs

• JimJohnson likes this
@mikeghg

#151 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 23 August 2021 - 01:09 AM

Slightly off topic since I'm not talking about specific players. But I just got back from a weekend trip in Cleveland and visiting the HOF in Canton over the weekend.  I just want to say if you haven't been, make plans to do it. 

• BSLChrisStoner, Mike B and Old Man like this

#152 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 11 February 2022 - 07:37 AM

#153 BSLMikeFast

BSLMikeFast

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • 471 posts

Posted 11 February 2022 - 09:40 AM

I think it was a decent class. I think Wayne will get in eventually, as will Ware. Overall, Zach Thomas not getting in was the biggest snub IMO. If he's continually a finalist, why hasn't he gotten in? If he's not HOF worth, why does he keep getting nominated?

@MikeFastNFL

#154 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 11 February 2022 - 11:18 AM

Overall, Zach Thomas not getting in was the biggest snub IMO. If he's continually a finalist, why hasn't he gotten in? If he's not HOF worth, why does he keep getting nominated?

Seems pretty reasonable to me that he's one of the 15 best candidates each year but not one of the 5 best.  That's still how they do it, right?  Narrow to 15 finalists to be presented and then vote for 5 to enshrine?

#155 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 11 February 2022 - 11:30 AM

Seems pretty reasonable to me that he's one of the 15 best candidates each year but not one of the 5 best.  That's still how they do it, right?  Narrow to 15 finalists to be presented and then vote for 5 to enshrine?

True, if you were for example the best player not in the HOF then you should make the final 15 every single year.

I won't pretend that I watched enough of either of them, but Thomas seems to have a better resume than Sam Mills at a similar position, no? I admit I don't know how to weight Mills' several early years in the USFL either.

#156 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 28 July 2022 - 07:29 AM

ESPN: 2022 Pro Football Hall of Fame: How each inductee forged a path to Canton

https://www.espn.com...ged-path-canton

#157 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 08:13 AM

CBS Sports: NFL's all-time non-Hall of Fame 53-man roster: Bo Jackson, Torry Holt, Darren Woodson headline all-star squad

https://www.cbssport...all-star-squad/

#158 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 07 August 2022 - 06:58 AM

CBS Sports: 2022 Pro Football Hall of Fame induction takeaways: Tony Boselli first Jag enshrined, Dick Vermeil thankful

https://www.cbssport...-thankful/live/

#159 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 05 January 2023 - 09:40 AM

CBS Sports: 2023 Pro Football Hall of Fame finalists announced: Torry Holt, Darrelle Revis highlight modern-era list

https://www.cbssport...odern-era-list/

#160 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,435 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 08 February 2024 - 10:26 PM

Pro Football Hall of Fame, Class of 2024: 

Julius Peppers 

Devin Hester 

Dwight Freeney 

Andre Johnson 

Patrick Willis 

Steve McMichael 

Randy Gradishar

Fingers crossed McMichael lives long enough to see his induction ceremony.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=