838 replies to this topic

#41 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,015 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:24 PM

With the new CBA, it makes all the sense in the world to come out early if you are gonna be a 3rd or higher round pick.  Maybe even lower than that.

Before, the top picks got tons of money, so it made sense to stay if you thought you could shoot up from the 2nd or 3rd to the 1st or even from late 1st to high 1st.  But now that the top picks aren't getting ridiculous money, that particular pot of gold isn't there.  Additionally, the CBA makes it so players can't get extensions or new deals until after their third deal.  So before if you were a 2nd or 3rd round pick and you blew up, you could hold out and renegotiate right away and get your payday.  Now, that door is closed as well.  So the only way to really get paid, is to get to free agency.  The earlier you get to the league, the earlier you get to free agency.

The new CBA definitely takes away a lot of the incentive for 2nd-4th round type college kids to decide to stick around another year.

#42 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:49 PM

Pretty sure the Ravens got the 6th rounder for Boldin in last year's draft. In fact, I'm sure they did because I recall they traded it to move up in the 2nd Round to get Arthur Brown.

I think we should have 9 picks. 1,2,3,6,6 (Boldin), 7 (McKinnie) & 3 comp picks.

I'm hoping we got at least a 6th for McKinnie considering what we gave up for Monroe.

http://www.prosports...s/Years/2014.ht

What are the likely slots of the comp picks..... we should get picks for Ellerbe, Kruger, C Williams and Ed Reed right?

4, 5, 6, and 7 ?
Roll Tide

#43 jasterps

jasterps
  • Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:55 PM

I'm hoping we got at least a 6th for McKinnie considering what we gave up for Monroe.

http://www.prosports...s/Years/2014.ht

What are the likely slots of the comp picks..... we should get picks for Ellerbe, Kruger, C Williams and Ed Reed right?

4, 5, 6, and 7 ?

Getting anything for Ed Reed is unlikely due to him getting cut mid season. I think we will end up with 2 4s (Kruger & Ellerbe) & a 5th (maybe a 6th) for Cary Williams.

• Roll Tide likes this

#44 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:06 PM

2 4s and a 6th would be nice...I think Williams had a good season for Philly. He looked good in the playoff game.
  • jasterps likes this
Roll Tide

#45 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:07 PM

Anyone claiming they do not like Mike Evans clearly just looks at stat lines and have never consistently seen him play. He's got every skill set you want in a WR, from blocking ability to YAC ability to his hands and ability to go get the ball to his ability to get open consistantly. And he's done it against the SEC. The AAA of the NFL. Guy is going to be a monster.

With that said, he is obviously the guy I want. However I wouldn't be mad, and see a more likely scenario where we trade down for more picks in the mid rounds and take a tackle or guard later in the first.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#46 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:45 PM

Anyone claiming they do not like Mike Evans clearly just looks at stat lines and have never consistently seen him play. He's got every skill set you want in a WR, from blocking ability to YAC ability to his hands and ability to go get the ball to his ability to get open consistantly. And he's done it against the SEC. The AAA of the NFL. Guy is going to be a monster.

With that said, he is obviously the guy I want. However I wouldn't be mad, and see a more likely scenario where we trade down for more picks in the mid rounds and take a tackle or guard later in the first.

Just wait. He's not going to be a worth a Top 15 pick. Won't be one of the 3 best wideouts in this draft.

#47 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:53 PM

Just wait. He's not going to be a worth a Top 15 pick. Won't be one of the 3 best wideouts in this draft.

First of all, he doesn't have to be one of the top 3 WR to be worth a top 15 pick.

It's possible 3 other WR could be off the board anyway.

Secondly, Evans could very easily be a WR that fits the Ravens better than other WR do.

#48 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:00 PM

I agree he should be a good fit for the Ravens and in particular Flacco who likes to throw to big targets who attack the ball.

I just don't think he is going to be an impact talent.

#49 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:11 PM

I agree he should be a good fit for the Ravens and in particular Flacco who likes to throw to big targets who attack the ball.
I just don't think he is going to be an impact talent.

Any explanation or just your gut feeling?

WR is notoriously known to be one of the hardest positions to transition from college to the NFL. Other than that, Evans has dominated elite college competition and is at least above average in every skill set you want in a WR. It is a very strong class, I like Benjamin and Lee a lot as well. Watkins reminds me of Harvin 2.0 and even guys like Allen Robinson, Jordan Matthews and Brandon Coleman could all easily be better 3 years from now.

#50 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:00 AM

He's not going to separate from NFL corners. He doesn't have the speed or route running ability. So it's going to come down to how much he can overmatch with his physicality. There is little doubt he'll to that at times to some extent. I have serious doubts he can do it with any consistency.

#51 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:27 AM

He's not going to separate from NFL corners. He doesn't have the speed or route running ability. So it's going to come down to how much he can overmatch with his physicality. There is little doubt he'll to that at times to some extent. I have serious doubts he can do it with any consistency.

His speed isn't elite, but I don't know where you're getting the route running from, everything I've read and personally seen has shown good route running ability. You don't put up 279 yards on Bama not being able to run a route. Plus he has very good short area quickness, which is more important then long speed in running routes.

#52 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:41 AM

Ill take one of the guys more likely to be there in the 2nd round over Evans. Benjamin, Matthews, Robinson.

Talent is too deep at WR to take any in the top 16(17) except for  the only elite talent which is Watkins.

#53 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:55 AM

Ill take one of the guys more likely to be there in the 2nd round over Evans. Benjamin, Matthews, Robinson.

Talent is too deep at WR to take any in the top 16(17) except for  the only elite talent which is Watkins.

Since I'd be surprised if we didn't get a OL in the 1st round I'm guessing the same thing. I think the Ravens can get a big bodied receiver without picking him in the first round.
Roll Tide

#54 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,541 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:43 AM

Branden does a good job with the draft stuff, he has hit on some of these unpopular opinions before. I still love Evans personally, but we'll see what happens. I just think he's the perfect fit for Flacco. This will be a very interesting draft to say the least.

#55 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:48 AM

Benjamin has a first round grade...he won't be there when we pick in R2.

#56 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:47 AM

Benjamin has a first round grade...he won't be there when we pick in R2.

Yeah, as I said a few weeks ago. I expect him to move up. That said, at this point he's a back end 1st rounder-early 2nd rounder. If nothing changes, and he drops out of the first I could see the Ravens moving up to get him in the 2nd.

Assuming he is drafted in the first, I really like Mathews a lot too and he's also in that early 2nd round mix.

And who knows, maybe some around here are right about Ozzie attacking the FA market for a WR. I don't think that's as likely as drafting one early, but we'll see.

#57 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:25 AM

Yeah, as I said a few weeks ago. I expect him to move up. That said, at this point he's a back end 1st rounder-early 2nd rounder. If nothing changes, and he drops out of the first I could see the Ravens moving up to get him in the 2nd.

Assuming he is drafted in the first, I really like Mathews a lot too and he's also in that early 2nd round mix.

And who knows, maybe some around here are right about Ozzie attacking the FA market for a WR. I don't think that's as likely as drafting one early, but we'll see.

Signing Decker and drafting a TE in R1 isn't something I would discount...but agree that signing a FA isn't likely.

The Ravens don't pick early in R2, so anyone that is an early second rounder will be gone unless you think they trade up.

#58 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:22 PM

Signing Decker and drafting a TE in R1 isn't something I would discount...but agree that signing a FA isn't likely.

The Ravens don't pick early in R2, so anyone that is an early second rounder will be gone unless you think they trade up.

Rob ... Signing a free agent or trading for a WR is something I figure is the path based on the press conference.
Roll Tide

#59 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,752 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:40 AM

http://espn.go.com/b...=espnapi_public

Of the 20 wide receivers the Ravens have drafted since 1996, Torrey Smith is the only one to have a 1,000-yard season.

Pretty remarkable stat,  obviously this doesn't mean we should avoid WR in RD1 just goes to show how tough it can be to pick out a good one.

#60 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:38 AM

http://espn.go.com/b...=espnapi_public

Pretty remarkable stat,  obviously this doesn't mean we should avoid WR in RD1 just goes to show how tough it can be to pick out a good one.

Curiously, how many 1,000 yard season have their been for the Ravens.  Mason (4), Ismail (2), Alexander (2), Jackson (1).

Boldin, Clayton both go into the mid-900's.  

Sometimes I just feel like it's an indictment of our system as much as the receivers as well.  I'm surprised Boldin never got to 1000.  I was a bit surprised Sharpe didn't have 1000 either.  He had 810 and 811 in '00 and '01.  Consistent, lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=