#1 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:57 AM

According to a short piece by Jamison Hensley at ESPN.com...

A coin flip -- which is expected to take place in February at the NFL combine -- will determine whether the Ravens or the Dallas Cowboys select No. 16 overall. If the Ravens lose the flip, they will pick at No. 17. 

Mods, perhaps now that the season is over we can use this thread or start another "official" Ravens Draft thread.

I know it's early, but my suspicions are that we'll stay put and find a quality OT available to us. While our normal M.O. is "best player available"- the need is so great on the O-line that any other choice would surprise me.

#2 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:10 PM

I could easily see them spend money on a FA center, keep Monroe and move Osemele to RT.

Get a guard in the draft.

So, i don't think the Oline is a slam dunk.

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,332 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:14 PM

Bucky Brooks (NFL Network) was on BSL Radio last Friday and said there are 8 OT's with 1st round grades. Ravens should be in position for one of them. Have already seen the Ravens linked to Cyrus Kouandjio (went to DeMatha... at Alabama)..

• Greg Pappas likes this

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,015 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:15 PM

I could easily see them spend money on a FA center, keep Monroe and move Osemele to RT.

Get a guard in the draft.

So, i don't think the Oline is a slam dunk.

I think there are several options on the O-line.  I could see Osemele or even Yanda kick out to RT if we draft another guard later in the draft.  Or hope we can get a RT in the 2nd round.  16th or 17th is a spot where you can find a future LT as well, though usually not a Day 1 starter.  We could land a Day 1 starter at guard in the first round if they do as you suggested and move KO back out to tackle.

I think we have to spend at least a mid-round pick, or a FA as you mention, on a new center.  Maybe Gradkowski can improve, but we can't be counting on him being our center next year.  I really think that Gradkowski was the single worst player to ever start all 16 games for the Ravens.  We have to do better at C, and hopefully that combined with health from KO and Yanda will get the line back to being a strength. 

#5 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,015 posts

Bucky Brooks (NFL Network) was on BSL Radio last Friday and said there are 8 OT's with 1st round grades. Ravens should be in position for one of them. Have already seen the Ravens linked to Cyrus Kouandjio (went to DeMatha... at Alabama)..

If there are 8 tackles with first round grades, then we should be able to find one to play RT in the second round.

#6 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,851 posts

Agree with Rob. I think they'll try and go after a veteran C and move K.O. to RT assuming he's healthy. A line with Monroe at LT, a healthy K.O. at RT plus Yanda and a quality veteran C would be a nice start.

Could Wagner move to LG? Keep K.O. at RG and make Wagner the RT?

In my uneducated opinion, it'd be a huge mistake going into 2014 expecting Gino Gradkowski to be your starting C.

#7 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:16 PM

Oline, TE or a WR is where I am looking for this pick.

#8 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:18 PM

BTW, you don't have to move KO to RT.

But, he does give you that option and if it is easier to find a guard vs a RT, so be it.

I would go after a vet center...Don't want Gradkowski or a rookie C(unless its a rookie with a high grade I guess).

Signing a guy like Mack would be good IMO.

#9 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,851 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:18 PM

Also, I know OL is a huge need, but I'd love to see Mike Evans drop to us. Jace Amaro, the TE from Texas Tech, would also be a very nice get. I'd love for Joe to have another big target to go along with Pitta assuming he returns and Marlon Brown.

#10 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,332 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:21 PM

I think you could possibly get by with Osemele at RT, but don't think that is ideal.  He prefers Guard, and last year seemed much better there.

He will be coming off a lost year, and you are going to wonder about his back regardless...

Get Monroe back.. get Osemele back....  get Yanda healthier, draft the best available Tackle to replace Oher....  figure out a way to upgrade at Center.

That's my thought today.. sure the opinion will change some as the off-season really gets going, and we get closer to draft time.

• Greg Pappas likes this

#11 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:25 PM

I think you could possibly get by with Osemele at RT, but don't think that is ideal.  He prefers Guard, and last year seemed much better there.

He will be coming off a lost year, and you are going to wonder about his back regardless...

Get Monroe back.. get Osemele back....  get Yanda healthier, draft the best available Tackle to replace Oher....  figure out a way to upgrade at Center.

That's my thought today.. sure the opinion will change some as the off-season really gets going, and we get closer to draft time.

Nicely laid out.

#12 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,015 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:30 PM

RT in 2nd round, C in 3rd round if you don't sign a FA.

Get a WR, TE, or DL in the first round.

Obviously there has to be players there that justify the selection.  I certainly trust the guys in charge to grab the right players if they are there.

#13 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,851 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:32 PM

So assuming we don't sign a FA C and have to rely on the draft, do we go into 2014 with a competition between Gradkowski, Jensen, and a rookie C?

Gradkowski is so horrible that it's hard to fathom him having a realistic chance in 2014.

#14 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,015 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:36 PM

So assuming we don't sign a FA C and have to rely on the draft, do we go into 2014 with a competition between Gradkowski, Jensen, and a rookie C?

Gradkowski is so horrible that it's hard to fathom him having a realistic chance in 2014.

I think if you draft a C in the first 4 rounds or so, that between the rookie or Jensen, one of them should beat out Gradkowski. 

#15 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,851 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:40 PM

I think, aside from resigning Monroe and Pitta, that bringing in a veteran C is one of the top priorities.

We had Gradkowski behind Birk waiting in the wings and failed miserably. Who's to say that Jensen will be any better? I know C isn't as valued as G or T, but if one has dropped through the 4th round then I won't have much confidence in him being able to come in and start right away.

#16 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:55 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if they go with Wagner as the RT.  I think given an offseason in the weight room, he might be serviceable out there.  

I'm much more interested in what they do at C than RT.  Monroe comes back, Osemele and Yanda get healthy (and stronger). 

I'm hoping they grab Jake McGee from UVA.  The kid is going to be a great receiving threat.

@fuzydunlop

#17 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:34 PM

Yeah a falling DT/DE in the draft could end up being a bigger impact for the team.  A guy like Sheldon Richardson, fell to 13 last year without the glut of QB talent that exists this year.

I'd take a good talent just about anywhere except QB, CB, SS, RB in the first round.  An impact player in just about every other position has a shot to make a difference on this team.

Though I think a WR is probably the best guess.

• Greg Pappas likes this

#18 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:51 PM

Start off with hiring Norv Turner as OC and let him hire his staff, or least have major input. Give me Alex Mack in FA, a WR in the 1st and a RT in the second. We also need a rush LB, FS, & DL.

#19 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:04 PM

Im fine with going different directions in the 1st depending on what we do before the draft. Who we cut. Who we re sign.

COuld end up going BPA at a lot of positions. The Ravens obviously wont lock themselves into one position and overdrafting at that position. They'll let the draft come to them.

That said, I find it hard to belive we wont draft a player somewhere across the OL in the first 3 rounds.

#20 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,541 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:07 PM

I love that Monroe trade more and more every day... that has really helped us a lot, especially moving forward and making the Oher decision such a no-brainer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=