Photo

BSL: Ravens rocked at home; What did we see?

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#21 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,523 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:53 PM

To be fair, I thought it was a horrendous call at the time but had the Ravens got 20 more yards on the possession when they turned it over on 4th and 10 at midfield, it would have started to look much better. Although you still have to go for it IMO.

Worst call of the game was throwing the ball on 3rd and 1 down on the 4 yard line late in the 3rd quarter. And doing so out of the shotgun. Just putrid. 

I think the bigger story here is that he didn't even understand what the situation was.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#22 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:53 PM

To be fair, I thought it was a horrendous call at the time but had the Ravens got 20 more yards on the possession when they turned it over on 4th and 10 at midfield, it would have started to look much better. Although you still have to go for it IMO.

Worst call of the game was throwing the ball on 3rd and 1 down on the 4 yard line late in the 3rd quarter. And doing so out of the shotgun. Just putrid. 

...with an empty backfield no less.

Truly disgusting call. If you know you are going for it, why not run it on 3rd down?

Coaching was really awful today.

#23 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:56 PM

Question to Harbs after the game... What was your rational for having Tucker kick on 4th instead of going for it?

"It would have made it a two possession game had he made it."

Uhh... It was 20-0 there chief.

Now, the real question is did anybody have balls in the room to tell Harbaugh he was wrong. That is was still a 3 possession game.

We get on BMore media for being afraid to ask O's guys the tough questions but Raven's media can be intimidated by Harbaugh as well.

#24 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:57 PM

@greggrosenthal: So … no AFC team going for No. 6 seed "controls their own destiny." Finally, a scenario that makes sense.

It is appropriate for the crap that is battling for that last playoff spot. No team truly deserves it.

#25 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,523 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:58 PM

Now, the real question is did anybody have balls in the room to tell Harbaugh he was wrong. That is was still a 3 possession game.

We get on BMore media for being afraid to ask O's guys the tough questions but Raven's media can be intimidated by Harbaugh as well.

With the chickenshit press in Baltimore, no. No one has the stones to tell him he was wrong, even though he so obviously was. But given the magnitude of this game, maybe there's someone in the national media in the room who will call him out. That's just terrible when your coach can't do simple math with so much on the line.

#26 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,068 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:04 PM

It is appropriate for the crap that is battling for that last playoff spot. No team truly deserves it.

Hehe...which is it? :D

You truly earn an NFL playoff berth and its not as easy as the Pats and a Manning led team make it look every year. Suck it up and deal with it you spoiled fans.

• SportsGuy, mweb08, Pedro Cerrano and 1 other like this

#27 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:10 PM

Yes, whoever asked the question immediately jumped in and said it would have made it a 17 point deficit. Harbs then said, oh, well I'm drawing a blank, I'll have to get back to you on that. Then passed it off as a joke and said, you stumped me, I thought you were going to ask why I went for it on 4th the 3 other times. I believe it was Zrebiec, but not 100% sure.

Either way, when you get owned that bad against NE, I can kind of understand it, but it's still pretty silly, IMO.

#28 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:11 PM

Also, we probably would've still lost, but we never would have been embarrassed like we were with Ray and Ed out there. Just sayin'. 

#29 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:12 PM

I mean most of the times teams deserve it ,but you do get the occasional divisional team that goes 8-8 and makes the playoffs or a wildcard team that goes 8-8 and makes the playoffs.A 9-7 AFC team (potentially even 8-8 ) will make the playoffs and a 9 win divisional winner in the NFC North and East that will make the playoffs but a possible 11 win Ari team will not.

It does crack me up that no team controls its own destiny.

#30 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:14 PM

With the chickenshit press in Baltimore, no. No one has the stones to tell him he was wrong, even though he so obviously was. But given the magnitude of this game, maybe there's someone in the national media in the room who will call him out. That's just terrible when your coach can't do simple math with so much on the line.

I thought there was one station that liked to call local teams out when they screw up? Oh wait, I forgot that the owner is so far up the Ravens' behind that whenever he belches the team thinks they farted.

• BSLMikeLowe likes this
@DJ_McCann

#31 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:16 PM

Also, we probably would've still lost, but we never would have been embarrassed like we were with Ray and Ed out there. Just sayin'. 

Because Ray Lewis would have prevented the fumble and the pick in the last two minutes?

• 1970 likes this
@DJ_McCann

#32 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,523 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:16 PM

Yes, whoever asked the question immediately jumped in and said it would have made it a 17 point deficit. Harbs then said, oh, well I'm drawing a blank, I'll have to get back to you on that. Then passed it off as a joke and said, you stumped me, I thought you were going to ask why I went for it on 4th the 3 other times. I believe it was Zrebiec, but not 100% sure.

Either way, when you get owned that bad against NE, I can kind of understand it, but it's still pretty silly, IMO.

Had no clue what was going on, at the moment of what was arguably the most crucial coaching decision of the game. That is a funny joke! You know what Harbs, go ahead and quit your day job and go into comedy. Idiot.

#33 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:18 PM

Because Ray Lewis would have prevented the fumble and the pick in the last two minutes?

No, because he wouldn't have let his teammates take them lightly because of their depleted roster. 

#34 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:18 PM

Question to Harbs after the game... What was your rational for having Tucker kick on 4th instead of going for it?

"It would have made it a two possession game had he made it."

Uhh... It was 20-0 there chief.

I think in that situation (in the press conference) he just got a bit confused over where in the game it happened, but it sounded REALLY bad. When you make that kind of call, you better be ready to answer questions about it.

@DJ_McCann

#35 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:19 PM

I think in that situation (in the press conference) he just got a bit confused over where in the game it happened, but it sounded REALLY bad. When you make that kind of call, you better be ready to answer questions about it.

Agreed.

#36 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:21 PM

No, because he wouldn't have let his teammates take them lightly because of their depleted roster. 

They're the Patriots. I'm not upset over giving up 27 to that team, I'm upset over the offense continuing to struggle and then falling completely apart at the very end.

Sometimes the better team is just better. Having Ray Lewis: Friendship Is Magic! on the field or the sidelines wouldn't have helped much.

@DJ_McCann

#37 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:23 PM

They're the Patriots. I'm not upset over giving up 27 to that team, I'm upset over the offense continuing to struggle and then falling completely apart at the very end.

Sometimes the better team is just better. Having Ray Lewis: Friendship Is Magic! on the field or the sidelines wouldn't have helped much.

These are just things you can't quantify, so I'm not really going to try to. I stand by my stance, but there's no point in me puffing my chest out about it because like I said, I can't prove it at all. I understand what you're saying. 

#38 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,523 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:24 PM

Eh, I'm not giving him the benefit of a doubt on this one. No reason he shouldn't remember that decision and what his thinking was. He was clueless. End of story.

#39 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:26 PM

These are just things you can't quantify, so I'm not really going to try to. I stand by my stance, but there's no point in me puffing my chest out about it because like I said, I can't prove it at all. I understand what you're saying. 

I get that. I just don't think that, given the way the entire team was playing, that would have mattered much. Ray Lewis screaming isn't going to help Gino Gradkowski block his man, to take one example.

@DJ_McCann

#40 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:28 PM

Eh, I'm not giving him the benefit of a doubt on this one. No reason he shouldn't remember that decision and what his thinking was. He was clueless. End of story.

I'm not really excusing it. He does have to be ready for that question, and he took it way too casually. Like it was a failed fake field goal in a three-touchdown win or something else that didn't really matter.

@DJ_McCann

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=