Photo

BSL: Ravens rocked at home; What did we see?

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,357 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 07:59 PM

BSL: Ravens rocked at home; What did we see?
http://baltimorespor...ocked-home-see/

In a rematch of the last two AFC Championship Games; the Baltimore Ravens were demolished 41-7 at home against the New England Patriots.

With the loss, the Ravens fall to 8-7 on the year. After winning Monday night in Detroit, Baltimore had the opportunity to control their own Playoff fate with wins today, and next week in Cincinnati.

Now the Ravens need to win next week, and will additionally need help to advance to the post-season for the 6th consecutive year.

What did we see?

1) This was a frustrating game for the Ravens and their fans. Baltimore had come into today, winners of their last 4 games and 5 of 6 overall (the lone loss being in OT at Chicago). There are times during most seasons where you see games which can just be written off as a clunker. You don’t usually see those outings occur in rivalry games, with something on the line. Any loss today was going to hurt. Getting steam-rolled at home was tough to watch. Certainly a game that reminded of the multitude of flaws this team does have.

1a) All-in-all though, the Ravens have to quickly put this game in their rear-view mirror. The only thing they can control this coming week is their effort in Cincinnati. Find a way to win, and see what happens.

2) At half-time, the Ravens were down 17-0. Offensively, Baltimore had been limited to 71 total yards, and was 1 for 5 on 3rd down. The Ravens had 7 penalties for 65 yards. Defensively, the Ravens allowed NE to gain 13 1st downs in the 1st half. NE had the ball for 18+ minutes in the 1st half.

2a) The Ravens offense moved the ball at times in the 2nd half, and inflated their overall numbers. The main take away though, was that the offense was not able to finish. It sounds ridiculous to say in a 34 point loss, but there were opportunities for the Ravens to get back into the game. Baltimore failing to capitalize on those opportunities was deflating.

2b) Baltimore’s defense had a rough 1st Quarter plus, but had a good game overall. Gronkowski in street clothes makes for a different (limited) Patriots offense, but Brady was limited to under 200 yards. NE was just of 4 of 13 on 3rd down. The primary issue of the Ravens defense today was that they could have been better against the run (NE averaged 4.2 yards per carry on 34 attempts).

2c) Flacco was sacked 4 times.

3) 5 minutes into the game, the Patriots finished their 2nd drive with a TD to take a 7-0 lead. After being called for a personal foul on the punt ending NE’s 1st series, Jimmy Smith was called for pass interference on this 2nd NE series. That penalty put NE into position to score.

4) Following NE’s initial score, Flacco was picked off on the following series. New England would make Flacco, and the Ravens pay for that pick; quickly going 53 yards to take a 14-0 lead. The big play on the drive being a 3rd and 4 pick-up by Amendola for 34 yards.

5) The Ravens 3rd offensive series would end with Flacco falling down, unable to set on his knee. Meaning that in the first 3 Ravens series; Flacco missed a pass down the field, was picked, and went to the turf on his own. At that point I wondered if Flacco needed to be removed. I think the rest of the game showed that while the brace might have been an adjustment for Flacco, his knee is in good enough condition to play on.

6) As the 2nd Quarter began, NE went up 17-0 on Gostkowski’s FG.

7) Trailing 17-0, the Ravens defense came up with a good series; getting a 3rd down sack from both Upshaw, and Daryl Smith.

8) At the half, only Pierce had more than 1 reception for the Ravens. No Baltimore WR had a catch in the 1st half. Pierce and Smith finished with 3 grabs a piece, while Brown, Pitta, and Dickson each had 4.

9) Rice had 5 carries for 22 yards in the 1st half. He finished the game with 11 carries for 40 yards, along with 2 receptions for 23 yards.

10) The 1st Ravens series of the 2nd half reached the Patriots 39. On 4th and 3, Flacco and the Ravens were stopped when Flacco’s pass attempt to Jones went incomplete. Replays showed multiple open Ravens WR’s.

11) On the 2nd Baltimore drive of the 2nd half, Flacco was picked off on 3rd and 2 when Pitta could not corral the pass. Gostkowski would hit from 42 yards out to make it 20-0 NE.

12) Baltimore looked to be in position to score their first points of the game late in the 3rd Quarter. Twice on the drive they picked up 3rd down. The big play on drive was a short pass to T. Smith, which Smith took 42 yards down the sideline. On 1st and 10 from the NE 13, the Ravens gained 2 yards. On 2nd down, Dickson gained 7 yards to set up 3rd and 1 from the Patriots 4 yard line. Flacco’s pass to Pitta on 3rd down went out of the end zone. On 4th down, the Ravens took a TO, and Flacco audibled into a run. Rice was not able to gain the yard needed, and the ball went back to NE.

13) A 22 yard PR from Jones, set-up 1st and from the Patriots 38 with 58 seconds left in the 3rd. After reaching the NE 19, that drive would stall. Tucker was brought out on 4th and 5, with 14:24 left in the game, and missed his first FG in 34 attempts. I’m guessing Tucker was surprised to be called on with the Ravens down 20 points.

14) Baltimore did finally score with 9:21 left in the 4th, when Flacco crossed the goal line. The drive started at their 10, and got going with a 15 yard gain to Pitta. That was followed by back-to-back grabs from Brown for 29 combined yards. On 2nd and 2, Flacco and Pitta again combined for 15 yards. Beautiful throw and catch from the duo. Pass interference set-up 1st and Goal.

15) The Ravens defense answered the offense’s score, by getting the ball back to the offense with 8 minutes left (an extremely good tackle from Webb on 3rd down). The Baltimore offense would get close to mid-field, but would eventually turn the ball back over on downs.

17) New England tacked on three garbage time TD’s. The 2nd score coming when a dropped snap was recovered in the Baltimore end zone, the 3rd coming when Tavon Wilson picked off Taylor for a 74 yard return.

18) T. Smith may have hurt his hamstring late.

#2 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:05 PM

Got beat by a better team. SImple as that. And it's not like NE is a great team.

#3 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,523 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:08 PM

First time in quite a while feeling what it's like to miss the playoffs. I don't like it. Don't like it at all.

#4 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,676 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:14 PM

An ugly game all around. Offense, defense, special teams, coaching. Even the refs were absolutely terrible. Cincy will likely play their starters next week to try to win a bye meaning we're likely to lose and go 8-8
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#5 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:16 PM

So many Ravens fans needed a reality check. You truly earn an NFL playoff berth and its not as easy as the Pats and a Manning led team make it look every year. Suck it up and deal with it you spoiled fans.

#6 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:21 PM

So many Ravens fans needed a reality check. You truly earn an NFL playoff berth and its not as easy as the Pats and a Manning led team make it look every year. Suck it up and deal with you spoiled fans.

...or, how the Ravens make it look every year.

Btw, this type of late season game happens to this team every year.

Why? What happens in December that we lay a giant egg in one key late game seemingly every year?

#7 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:27 PM

...or, how the Ravens make it look every year.

Btw, this type of late season game happens to this team every year.

Why? What happens in December that we lay a giant egg in one key late game seemingly every year?

I know you disagree but the Flacco knee/brace was the huge difference today. I truly believe if Flacco doesn't get hit last week that today is a completely different game. I don't know if we win, but I don't think we get blown out at home  to a solid, but not great team.

I mean when we lost to Den at home last year they were clearly one of the two best teams in football and it just got away from us. Other than that, tell me the last time the Ravens played so poorly at home.

BTW...Im not trying to make an excuse for Joe. He needs to be better if he's going to step on the field. If he cant play better than he did today with the brace on, whether it messed him up mentally or physically, he needs to step aside.

#8 BSLMattJergensen

BSLMattJergensen

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:29 PM

The Ravens spent it all on Monday night.

It was amazing to the point of absurdity how poor they looked at home against a familiar opponent. The Pats much like the Broncos had this game circled and were ready to roll from the first whistle.

Meanwhile the Raves were out-everythinged today. Blame everyone for this loss.

But next week who knows. That's just how the NFL is these days.

• BSLChrisStoner, BobPhelan, DuffMan and 1 other like this

#9 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:31 PM

Even if Flacco was worried about the brace, it wasn't the difference in winning and losing today.

We did a terrible job on Edleman and their running game.

The D ended up holding them to just 300 yards but they didn't do anything early and the Patriots got out to a big lead and deflated the team.
  • 1970 likes this

#10 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:33 PM

The Ravens spent it all on Monday night.

It was amazing to the point of absurdity how poor they looked at home against a familiar opponent. The Pats much like the Broncos had this game circled and were ready to roll from the first whistle.

Meanwhile the Raves were out-everythinged today. Blame everyone for this loss.

But next week who knows. That's just how the NFL is these days.

Cincy is truly a great team at home. They beat GB, NE, Pitt, Ind at home. And really only GB played them tight in Cincy. 

Real test for this Ravens team next week. Measure of their heart, not to mention their talent.

#11 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:34 PM

@BaltimoreLuke: Per a #Ravens official, defensive tackle Arthur Jones suffered a concussion.

#12 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,523 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:35 PM

Cincinnati is one of the Top 5 teams in the league when they are home. You aren't beating them there as long as they have something to play for. Just forget about it.

#13 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

An ugly game all around. Offense, defense, special teams, coaching. Even the refs were absolutely terrible.

Cincy will likely play their starters next week to try to win a bye meaning we're likely to lose and go 8-8

Good. With this version of Flacco, we aren't winning a playoff game anyway. Honestly, our season was over as soon as Joe took that hit on the knee Monday. I want the best draft pick at this point.

#14 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

The offense was part of them getting out to a big lead. they had a short field the whole first half and got a favorable PI call to set them up for one of their TDs. I mean the D could have been better in the first half but I'm not going to go overboard on them. I'd give them a D for the 1st half. The offense got an F. Didn't pass the 50 yard line and the Int set NE up for an easy TD.

#15 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

I was playing in the finals of my fantasy league today. On the Patsies, I had Brady and Dobson starting. On the Ravens, I had T. Smith, Pierce and the defense starting.

Ask me how my day went. :P

@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#16 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:36 PM

@greggrosenthal: So … no AFC team going for No. 6 seed "controls their own destiny." Finally, a scenario that makes sense.

#17 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:45 PM

Question to Harbs after the game... What was your rational for having Tucker kick on 4th instead of going for it?

"It would have made it a two possession game had he made it."

Uhh... It was 20-0 there chief.
  • BSLChrisStoner, DuffMan and Mike in STL like this

#18 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,523 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:49 PM

Question to Harbs after the game... What was your rational for having Tucker kick on 4th instead of going for it?

Wow. What the hell was on his mind at the time that he was incapable of simple arithmetic? And even worse, he apparently still hasn't figured it out.

#19 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:50 PM

That's our coach.

#20 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:50 PM

To be fair, I thought it was a horrendous call at the time but had the Ravens got 20 more yards on the possession when they turned it over on 4th and 10 at midfield, it would have started to look much better. Although you still have to go for it IMO.

Worst call of the game was throwing the ball on 3rd and 1 down on the 4 yard line late in the 3rd quarter. And doing so out of the shotgun. Just putrid. 

@PeterDiLutis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=