Photo

BSL: Ravens rocked at home; What did we see?

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#41 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:29 PM

Where Reed and Lewis helped against Brady was playing the chess game with him at the LOS. I do think the defense likely fares better if they have Reed and or Lewis in the game today. Now, there are other times this year, last week might be the perfect example, where having a LB other than Ray or a FS who doesn't do his own thing and go off the script, helped us more.

Its not a Lewis and Ed def make us a better team type of thing but I agree they would have helped today. They knew Brady so damn well.

#42 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:30 PM

I'll try to find audio of that or something just to make sure I didn't take it too much out of context.

#43 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:30 PM

Eh, I'm not giving him the benefit of a doubt on this one. No reason he shouldn't remember that decision and what his thinking was. He was clueless. End of story.

I hate that he apparently tried to joke it off. Guy is being exposed and then can't face the music with a straight face.

#44 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:31 PM

I'll try to find audio of that or something just to make sure I didn't take it too much out of context.

It should end up on baltimoreravens.com if it isn't already. they usually show the full video from when he steps up to the podium to when he steps down.

#45 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:33 PM

It should end up on baltimoreravens.com if it isn't already. they usually show the full video from when he steps up to the podium to when he steps down.

Yep - http://www.baltimore...b7-ae94b1854288

1:08 mark.

#46 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,522 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:34 PM

I'm not really excusing it. He does have to be ready for that question, and he took it way too casually. Like it was a failed fake field goal in a three-touchdown win or something else that didn't really matter.

Even though going for it was the right choice there (IMO), even if he did go and they made it, I don't think they win the game. There were plenty of other reasons it just wasn't their day. But to not understand that 3 + 8 + 8 does not get you to 20? That's really bothering me and I just can't seem to let go of that right now.

To me that's even worse than him not challenging the Welker non-catch in Week 1, which ended up being a turning point in that game.

#47 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:41 PM

And what guy has been telling you for 6 years now that the guy has no feel for the game as its going on. Do I need more proof. I don't even have to reach beyond this season to make a good case.

Again, I'm not saying we win today or against Den or against GB or against the Steelers if he manages the game better but damn, optimize your teams chances

#48 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:57 PM

Btw....I bring up the questionable decisions when we lost.

I think many will agree that the run on 3rd down last week and playing for Tucker to hit a 60 yarder wasn't optimal. Nor wa running the ball into the middle of the line 3 times against Cincinnati and playing for Tuck to hit a 48 yrs game winner.

He blows through timeouts on defense or bad red flags. If Pittsburgh converts the 2pointer we have no time or timeouts to drive in reg because he's blown them. I mean these are crucial misplays in games we actually won.

#49 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:32 PM

Hah Bnickle always posts more to take advantage when the Ravens lose and add his nickles worth.  It was pretty obvious he was tired of coming up with 0 points and wanted to put a little pressure on New England to try and keep scoring.  I thought he should have kicked it earlier.  I know that changes things but it could have been 13-20 at one point if everything followed suit after. Why in the hell is Joe throwing 13-15 yards down field when Pitta is at the 3 yard mark.....

• Oriole85 likes this
<p>I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#50 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:38 PM

So, NE gains 300 yards today(below season average), they were 4-13 on third down and Brady had less than 180 passing yards and they only had 1 player get more than 2 catches.

Problem is, you let up 147 yards rushing, allowed Edelman to have 7 catches(all of which were seemingly important), had 9 penalties for almost 100 yards and you turned it over 4 times.

Completely shot yourself in the foot...even Tucker missed a FG!

#51 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:12 AM

Hah Bnickle always posts more to take advantage when the Ravens lose and add his nickles worth.  It was pretty obvious he was tired of coming up with 0 points and wanted to put a little pressure on New England to try and keep scoring.  I thought he should have kicked it earlier.  I know that changes things but it could have been 13-20 at one point if everything followed suit after. Why in the hell is Joe throwing 13-15 yards down field when Pitta is at the 3 yard mark.....

I think we've noticed that with the Orioles as well.

@levineps

#52 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:30 AM

Eh, I'm not giving him the benefit of a doubt on this one. No reason he shouldn't remember that decision and what his thinking was. He was clueless. End of story.

You really think John Harbaugh didn't know the score of the game?

You guys are so gullible it's funny. Like kindergardeners. 

@PeterDiLutis

#53 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:37 AM

Lol.Yes, I love trolling my own team. I'm just blunt and I call em how I see em. Let's take two examples from given sports over the years. I'm considered a Harbaugh hater which is a tad strong but whatever. However, I'm a strong supporter of Buck and Turgeon. They each have strong detractors.

Anybody who wants to go back and read the OH from 2 to 3 years ago will see that I was consistently calling the Ravens one of the best teams in football. Like everyone else I realized the early part of the Os '12 season was flukey but by the end of the year I was calling them legit and one of the 10 best teams in baseball and truely deserving off a playoff berth.

I say rarely say something with any bias. If it comes out of my mouth I believe it. I've been pointing out Harbaughs game management issues from day 1. Not because I decided on a lark I disliked him,but because they are obvious and need to be pointed out. I don't pretend to be a football genius, especially when it comes to the xs and Os. There are at least 10 people on this small board that are better in that regard. I do understand strategy and game feel and management well and I know Harbaugh is very poor and inefficient in this area.

#54 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:38 AM

I have to very much agree with everyone stance on Harbaugh's game management aspect of coaching. X's and O's, I'm not going to get much into because it's my understanding that he doesn't call the plays. He might say he wants more or this or less of that on the next few drives, or say to Caldwell lets go for this 4th down, then Caldwell calls out the failed play. But the other things you guys mentioned, timeout usage, clock management, to challenge or not, he has to be one of the worst. The kicking a FG after opting not to on 4th down the drive before, drove me over the edge. I thought he was trying to avoid a shutout on paper and punting any chance of still winning, when two short weeks ago we saw this team score three TDs in two minutes. Tucker was probably not even ready to come in, not expecting it anyway. If they kicked a FG on the 4th and 1, then Tucker is expecting it and maybe makes the next try, the TD on the following drive makes it a 20-13 game with what, 9 minutes left? Maybe the Pats D feels more pressure, makes a mistake, costly PI or something, who knows how the game turns out. 

With all that, he still manages to prepare a team each week that because of his preparation wins more than it loses. Lets face it, to get 8 wins out of this bunch is pretty good.  Harbs will do whatever it takes to win. Even if it means firing his offensive coordinator in week 15. Scouting and the drafting, the Ravens have always done well in that field. The Ravens are so good at getting talent that they often have to part ways with good players to fit under the cap. He's watched some really good players leave town over the years and the team doesn't miss a beat. A few people I know that have met the guy have had nothing but great things to say about the man. He's genuine, real. 

I'd be happy to have John Harbaugh around in a FO capacity one day. He's one of best coaches in the league...except for maybe sometimed three hours on Sunday. I can live with that three hour lapse if he can do the other 95% right. What good is a good game managing coach if he can't field a team prepared to win. 

But, this is the NFL, and Belichick is no dummy, and sometimes you prepare all week and it just doesn't work. You  just get out coached. It happens. Good thing we can count on one hand how many times that's happened to Harbs. Not many embarrassing losses on his resume. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#55 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,522 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:41 AM

He essentially came right out and said it. Maybe it was the stress, maybe his mind was on too many other things....something affected his ability to comprehend the situation, or do basic math, or whatever. But he said kicking a FG down 20 makes it a 2 possession game. What rules do you and he play by that makes that possible?

#56 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:51 AM

You are so far up Harbaugh's ass. You lose all credibility when it comes to him and I never thought I'd say that about you.

#57 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:21 AM

You are so far up Harbaugh's ass. You lose all credibility when it comes to him and I never thought I'd say that about you.

Brandon. You're literally trying to tell me that the coach of the Baltimore Ravens did not know what the score was? Come on.

Brian Billick would always say that the toughest part of his job was speaking to the media after a loss on Sunday. You just come off the field, you get your ass handed to you, and you have a bunch of loser media guys asking ridiculous questions 10 minutes after you shake the other coach's hand.

Have you ever misspoke?

BTW - even if he didn't know, someone would be in his ear saying John, just making sure you know it's a 20 point game.

The fact that you think John Harbaugh kicked that FG thinking he was down 17 points makes you lose your credibility. So there, I guess neither of us respect each other :) 

@PeterDiLutis

#58 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:25 AM

I'm not even up Harbaugh's ass at all BTW. I don't think he's some amazing coach. I give him credit where credit is due. He made the playoffs and won a game 5 yeas in a row, made 3 AFC Championship games, and won a Super Bowl. He's going to be at least 8-8 in what many considered a rebuilding year. The team was 4-6 and written off and he had them playing a meaningful game with the division on the line in Week 16, and they have a very real chance at the playoffs in week 17. 

You can be a fluke in one year. You can be a fluke in two years. But after six years, eventually reality sets in. You and I agree on Flacco. I just don't see how you can be on the total opposite end of the spectrum with Harbaugh. Not many coaches win 6 years in a row because they have good talent or because flukey things happen. Just like not many QB's do the same. 

@PeterDiLutis

#59 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:29 AM

He essentially came right out and said it. Maybe it was the stress, maybe his mind was on too many other things....something affected his ability to comprehend the situation, or do basic math, or whatever. But he said kicking a FG down 20 makes it a 2 possession game. What rules do you and he play by that makes that possible?

You seem like a smart guy. It's never occurred to you that maybe he had too much on his mind WHEN HE MADE THE COMMENT!!! 

Whatever...I'm done. You guys are way too emotional and you totally disrespect the job that NFL coaches do, specifically John Harbaugh. It's absurd. We sit on our fat asses and just wait for a man who has coached football for 30+ years mis speak and then we want to act like he's some incompetent twit. Give me a break. Why didn't John Harbaugh kick a FG on 4th and 1 if he thought they were down 17? 

You guys are way off base here. It's embarrassing and just shows that theres no getting through to you because you're too emotional with your disdain for Harbaugh. And what's even more absurd is that Brandon constantly blows Flacco as well. Flacco and Harbaugh are like straight clones of each other as far as what people say about them. Doesn't look pretty, but they flat out win. Yet one guy is a baboon and one is a great QB. Yeah, okay. Whatever you guys say. 

@PeterDiLutis

#60 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:37 AM

I'll add one more thing to my rant. You know what else is total BS? When people say "the team came out flat" or "the team wasn't ready to play." What does that even mean?

If you don't think the team had the proper game plan, fine. If you don't think the team executed properly, fine. But to say the team didn't come out with the intensity that they needed is a total copout and you're just looking to blame someone. 

Let me ask you guys something...when is the last time a team went down 14-0 looked like they "came to play?"

The Pats beat the Ravens, bottom line. Out-coached. Out-played. Out-executed. Out-everything. That takes nothing away from the emotion or passion the Ravens played with. If you don't think this team was fired up to play, none of you guys deserve to be commenting on football.

@PeterDiLutis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=