#821 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,266 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 06 April 2022 - 07:28 AM

Did Man City and Liverpool use their best 11? Or did they hold anyone back for their clash on Sunday?

No they both played to win with their best. As they should have as they will have 4 full days of rest before the biggie on Sunday.

The two matches yesterday went pretty much according to script.

Liverpool just on fire and beat Benfica 3-1 in Portugal. Would be one of the all time turnaround upsets if Benfica can win by 2 at Anfield. For you gamblers just save your money. It ain't happening.

Atletico did what I suggested they needed to do at the Etihad. Avoid a multi goal loss. However, the game was massively one sided outside the score. Man C outshot Atletico 15-0 and had 9 corners to 0 for Atletico. When you don't shoot and have no corners its pretty assured you will lose. They will have to play immensely better in the return leg next week to have any kind of a chance.

• DuffMan likes this

#822 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 06 April 2022 - 07:28 AM

Did Man City and Liverpool use their best 11? Or did they hold anyone back for their clash on Sunday?

Both squads are so deep that there's always some amount of rotation, but both lineups were top notch yesterday.

Nobody's taking anything for granted in the knockout stages of the champions league
  • DuffMan and BSLSteveBirrer like this
@DaKittenz

#823 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,266 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 06 April 2022 - 07:35 AM

Both squads are so deep that there's always some amount of rotation, but both lineups were top notch yesterday.

Indeed. Yesterday Phil Foden came in as a sub. Less than 2 minutes later made that sublime pass into the area for DeBruyne for the winning score.

#824 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,266 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 06 April 2022 - 01:31 PM

Pulisic starting for Chelsea against Real.

• DuffMan likes this

#825 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 06 April 2022 - 02:26 PM

Chelsea already down 2-0

Pouring rain for this one

#826 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,266 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 06 April 2022 - 02:58 PM

What a crazy first half. Benzema scores on two terrific headers go give Real a 2-0 lead. Then Havertz scores a header of his own to bring it back to 2-1. Then Benzema misses a sitter which was way easier than either of his two headers. Should have been a first half hat trick.

In the other match Villareal leads Bayern at the half 1-0. Can the keep a clean sheet at home?

#827 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,266 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 06 April 2022 - 04:50 PM

Benzema gets his hat trick anyway and Chelsea is in deep doo doo headed to Real next week. 3 away goals....yikes.

Villareal kept the clean sheet but Bayern still in the drivers seat heading home. Can't see V drawing them in Germany but hey what do I know.

#828 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,266 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 13 April 2022 - 07:28 AM

Chelsea had the miracle comeback taking a 3-0 lead at Real in the 75th minute. But they just couldn't hold on. Real scored a goal in the 80th minute to force extra time as they were tied 4-4 aggregate and even on away goals. But in extra time Benzema came through once again and sent Chelsea packing.

And shockingly, at least to me, Villareal drew Bayern in Germany and advances. Wow.

#829 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 13 April 2022 - 11:24 AM

Rough 2022 for Chelsea.

#830 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 13 April 2022 - 12:32 PM

A shame for Chelsea who's clearly the better side. So crazy to see Benzema peak in his mid thirties
  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this
@DaKittenz

#831 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 27 April 2022 - 05:16 AM

Benzema with 2 more for Real in a 4-3 defeat to City. 

#832 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,266 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 27 April 2022 - 07:10 AM

The first Benzema goal was just insane. To put that ball into the corner with power from that angle is just crazy good. Guy is going to be a handle in Qatar.

#833 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 27 April 2022 - 07:45 AM

The first Benzema goal was just insane. To put that ball into the corner with power from that angle is just crazy good. Guy is going to be a handle in Qatar.

Seems to be putting Real on his back right now, you give them a shot to advance over City?

#834 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,266 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 27 April 2022 - 09:46 AM

Seems to be putting Real on his back right now, you give them a shot to advance over City?

Duff I had Chelsea winning (albeit I called it a toss up) so sure I give them a shot. Down 2-0 in the first 10 minutes seemed like they were all but dead. Then the Benzema stunner. Then Man C scores another to go back up by 2 and I thought its over now for sure. But Real just refused to lay down. Going back home down aggregate 4-3 puts them in much better shape that I suspected before yesterday.

But in the end it just seems like Man C and Liverpool are just destined to meet in an all English final.

• DuffMan likes this

#835 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,266 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 27 April 2022 - 04:56 PM

Well I didn't jinx Liverpool, at least not today. Dominant 2-0 win over Villareal.

#836 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 28 April 2022 - 05:46 AM

Well I didn't jinx Liverpool, at least not today. Dominant 2-0 win over Villareal.

Villareal seemed all in on going for a 0-0 result.  Worked in the first half, but not in the second.

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#837 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 04 May 2022 - 05:35 AM

Tale of two halves.  Glad Liverpool chose the 2nd to dominate.

#838 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 04 May 2022 - 02:54 PM

Scoreless 1st half between Real and City.  Benzema had a great chance for a goal 4 or 5 minutes in but headed it over the goal.  I was a bit surprised by this giving how dominant he's been in Champions league.

#839 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 04 May 2022 - 04:26 PM

So that was some finish...

#840 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,266 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 04 May 2022 - 07:00 PM

So much for my All English Final. But Real looked good. Really good  attacking soccer. The Final is going to be way fun!!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=