Photo

BSL: Ravens win on Tucker’s 61 yarder; What did we see?

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#41 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,384 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:53 AM

Kick returners don't seem to age that well but I have no research or anything to support that.

#42 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,358 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:55 AM

Just finished watching the game on the DVR (had previous plans tonight). Justin Tucker is freaking incredible. Remember when there was an actual debate on whether we should go with a rookie kicker or stick with Cundiff? That's become like the Jerry Hairston/Brian Roberts debate. No doubt that Ozzie and Co. made the right decision there. Great win, now let's take care of the Pats next week.

@BSLZackKiesel

#43 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:58 AM

Justin Tucker... not Vince Young... is Mack Brown's legacy!

#44 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:59 AM

@AdamSchein: This game says everything about the Ravens and Lions franchises.

No doubt about this.

It's amazing when you look at teams like the Cowboys, Lions, etc. It's a reflection on both their coach and QB. Especially Detroit. Gambling a lot on football, I follow each team and year after year, the Lions just always do this crap. Easiest bet of the night was Stafford -180 to throw an int. Guy is a total turnover machine. 

Schwartz has no control of the team. They're a backyard football team. No structure.

The QB's aren't good enough to be given free reign. They need someone to bring them in. Look what happened as soon as Alex Smith encountered 2 of the best offensive and overall coaches in the league.

If you bring Jon Gruden out of the booth to coach the Lions or Cowboys, they're 11-5 next year easy...

@PeterDiLutis

#45 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:04 AM

How do you not love Tirico? http://www.baltimore...cc-7b6cba42efbd

#46 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:05 AM

http://espn.go.com/v...id=sportscenter

Not sure where to put this...this is the story ESPN aired pregame.
  • Greg Pappas likes this

#47 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:14 AM

My birthday is right at the beginning of the season, and my lady friend's mom (insert joke here) bought me a Tucker jersey for my birthday.  In my head I was thinking, I like Tuck but I doubt I'd ever rock a kicker's jersey.

I guess I know nothing.

@fuzydunlop

#48 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:16 AM

My birthday is right at the beginning of the season, and my lady friend's mom (insert joke here) bought me a Tucker jersey for my birthday.  In my head I was thinking, I like Tuck but I doubt I'd ever rock a kicker's jersey.

I guess I know nothing.

Exhibit A:

YYAY11T.png

• Pedro Cerrano, DJ MC and McNulty like this

#49 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:24 AM

Just finished watching the game on the DVR (had previous plans tonight). Justin Tucker is freaking incredible. Remember when there was an actual debate on whether we should go with a rookie kicker or stick with Cundiff? That's become like the Jerry Hairston/Brian Roberts debate. No doubt that Ozzie and Co. made the right decision there. Great win, now let's take care of the Pats next week.

Appropriate reference in light of tonight's O's related events.

@levineps

#50 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:15 AM

Tuckers 61 yard FG, is the 2013 version of "4th and 29". Incredible rare feats that were needed to be accomplished to keep postseason hopes alive.(I know the Ravens didn't know at the time how big 4th and 29 was until they lost a few more games).

@BSLMikeRandall

#51 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:47 AM

Also, Tucker is the first kicker in history to make field goals in the yardage ranges of the 20s 30s 40s 50s and 60s. That's like hitting for the cycle.
@BSLMikeRandall

#52 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,759 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 17 December 2013 - 06:49 AM

Did you guys check out Tucker's  Post Game Comments?  They were fantastic, dude is great!   What a kick!

#53 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:40 AM

Ok. I'll take wins anyway I can get them. Especially this time of year. Huge win that I wasn't expecting. That said, this was pretty much completely the Lions losing this game. I mean Tuck was outstanding, and the defense was good, but that team completely shot itself in the foot with penalties, drops, and turnovers.

Now to comment on a couple of previous posts above:

- Weber is going on and on about the ST and undoubtedly the ST has been terrific the last two years. The addition of Jones and Tucker have been huge and they've also gotten much better with their coverage units. However, before last year, in Harbaugh's first 3 years in the league, the ST's were pretty damn bad. SO, this isn't something that's always been around in the Harbaugh era. Give him and Rosberg a lot of credit for finally getting it turned around the last few years.

- Also, Dilutis mentioned again that a guy like Stafford is too much like Romo or Favre. Too much gunslinger mentality that hurts the team at times. Dilfer also brought that up again postgame. You have to know when to pump the brakes and be conservative at times. That's why I love Joe and his "coolness". When it comes to the efficiency metrics he isn't going  to measure up quite as well. That said, he's clearly talented enough to make all the throws. He can make crucial drives when needed. He can chuck the ball all over the field and get the job done if asked. At the same time, he generally doesn't shoot his team in the foot and get overly aggressive.

• PrimeTime likes this

#54 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:42 AM

One more thing. Amazing how much height Tucker got on that 61 yarder and how quickly he got it up in the air. Usually on those distance kicks the kickers have to drive the ball on a lower trajectory. That looked like a 40 yard kick the way he got it up in the air so quickly. Incredible.

#55 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:11 AM

Brandon....Det shooting themselves in the foot is what they do though.

Both teams left points out there.

The CJ drop on their second drive was huge....if he catches that, they end up with at least 3 and maybe 7...and then the game could have gotten out of hand.

#56 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,357 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:20 AM

http://espn.go.com/v...id=sportscenter

Not sure where to put this...this is the story ESPN aired pregame.

Got a lot of play locally last year in the immediate aftermath.

#57 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,357 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:20 AM

Did you guys check out Tucker's  Post Game Comments?  They were fantastic, dude is great!   What a kick!

Mentioned helping out his own fantasy team lol.

#58 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,357 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:22 AM

- Also, Dilutis mentioned again that a guy like Stafford is too much like Romo or Favre. Too much gunslinger mentality that hurts the team at times. Dilfer also brought that up again postgame. You have to know when to pump the brakes and be conservative at times. That's why I love Joe and his "coolness". When it comes to the efficiency metrics he isn't going  to measure up quite as well. That said, he's clearly talented enough to make all the throws. He can make crucial drives when needed. He can chuck the ball all over the field and get the job done if asked. At the same time, he generally doesn't shoot his team in the foot and get overly aggressive.

Agree with a lot of this. 

#59 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:33 AM

Well let's see the OL held up for most of the night but I didn't love the playcalling from the Ravens.  

1.  Maybe I get why they don't run WR screens.  Joe doesn't get the ball out fast enough.  Brown was OK on one a few weeks ago wasn't tonight.  Jones isn't great on the catch and run either.  Honestly the WRs (and Pitta) had a pretty mediocre game.  They couldn't get open against a pretty weak secondary.   Can we finally start to scheme these guys open?  Please?  They can't win their one on one's.  They just can't.

2.  Some credit to the defense coaches of the Lions, but honestly, Caldwell sealed his fate as not the guy I'd want moving forward.  He had a big chance, especially with the way the pass rush was slowed down to make a statement.  He was far from it.  The screen to Rice on the third down was a play too late, the same with the draw at the end of the game.  

3.  Rice showed us some life.  On more than a couple plays.  3 or 4 broken tackles.  Pierce had that one decent run too.  Is Rice finally healthy?  We definitely saw some burst, I wish on that screen play he ran straight, he had blockers and he might pick that up there.  With confidence I think we start to see Rice start to run to contact because he thinks he can break tackles.

4.  Good lord, Monroe had a terrible game.  At least two missed blocks on running plays.  He pulled an Oher on the 3rd and 5 and blocked down to help Shipley and let the outside guy come free to pressure Joe.  The false start.  Oher held his own for once, and no penalties.  Still way too many plays were there are guys deep in the backfield right away.  The PA passes did help slow down the rush a bit too.

5.  The defense looks strong.  I still don't love Daryl Smith in the red zone.  Love him between the 20's, but he gets picked on in the end zone against TEs.  Obviously, Ngata, wow.  Anyone who wants him cut is just using their gut.  This guy is a difference maker, and teams scheme for him.  The pass rush was good.  A lot of didn't get there, but pressure made a difference plays.  The QB hurries were there.  Suggs and Dum both had very good games IMO (minus Suggs not holding the edge on the Bush run).

6.  Matt Elam, put him on the LOS.  Move Inhedbigo to FS.  Elam is a difference maker when you put him at the line.  Several plays on the other side of the LOS to stop running plays to the outside.  Did a great job forcing coverage back inside.  BTW...Johnson looked OLD!  And not motivated by the comments, just to add to the point that the narrative doesn't matter to these guys.

7.  Flacco didn't look the same after that dirty ass hit by Levy.  I hope that guy gets fined.  But I hope he's healthy.  We obviously need him.  There is no getting around that.

8.  I just loved watching all those ESPN junkies talk about the greatness of the Lions and their talent and just watch them...well be the Lions and choke the game away.  Great win for the Ravens and goes to show you why they are so dangerous.  They can go on the road and beat playoff teams.  Period.  

• PrimeTime likes this

#60 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:43 AM

Also did anyone watch SC after, when they showed the graphic of the NFC North with a win for Detroit.  That's the kind of s*%# that really ticks me off.  They obviously did that before the game, which is fine I guess, but how hard is it to wait until the game is over to run a graphic you'll show 20 minutes later.  I know the "Ravens are slighted" story line is old around here, but that's just the kind of stuff that really bothers me for no good reason.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=