#21 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:02 PM

In 2011, the ice was a disaster. This year, they've made a lot of adjustments...I've read they've made the building much cooler. They've also prepared the ice for an NHL game...in 2011 they prepared the ice like they would for any other ice event (figure skating, etc). Hopefully it works out. Another poor showing re: the ice and the Caps probably won't come back. 

As far as a minor league club affiliated with the Caps...I'd imagine it'd have to be an ECHL team because they have a very strong relationship with Hershey's AHL squad.

Last time I went to the Baltimore Arena had to be more than 10 years ago...seemed like a dump then, can't imagine how bad it seems now.

Last time I went was for the Pam Shriver charity thing atleast 15 years ago, Brady was one of the participants I forget the other off the top of my head.

CSN went all out on this one with on-site pregame coverage. I watched a little of it, they were promoting the Wizards preseason game in Baltimore and called the arena ahead of it's time with the VIP room.

@levineps

#22 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:08 PM

Hate the Caps, hate 1st Mariner (or whatever it's called now), so I have no interest.

#23 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:12 PM

@WNST Dan Duquette is present for the Capitals-Bruins game at the Baltimore Arena. #Orioles

@levineps

#24 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:15 PM

The ice is awful. Watch for injuries.

@JeremyMStrain

#25 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:16 PM

The ice is awful. Watch for injuries.

Is this it for Baltimore? (until a new arena)

@levineps

#26 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:28 PM

Is this it for Baltimore? (until a new arena)

If there is another injury, yes. Someone hurt their groin and missed a big chunk of the season last Bmore game. Can't remember if it was Backstrom or whom though.

@JeremyMStrain

#27 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,742 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:32 PM

Tickets are also ridicuously over priced for this game too.

#28 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:27 PM

Tickets are also ridicuously over priced for this game too.

How much were they?

@levineps

#29 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,742 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:35 PM

How much were they?

I could be wrong, but I thought the "cheapies" were 40 bucks.

#30 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:05 PM

I could be wrong, but I thought the "cheapies" were 40 bucks.

Not sure who'd pay that to a preseason game in an outdated arena. Why not sell all the upper-level tix for like $10 or less? Gain some fans for the long-term who might then go to Verizon Center or atleast watch more games on TV/buy merchandise.

@levineps

#31 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:05 PM

@TedStarkey Caps say 7,634 attendance at Baltimore Arena.

@levineps

#32 Jeff_Kryglik

Jeff_Kryglik
  • Members
  • 53 posts
  • LocationBaltimore,MD

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:32 AM

Should Hockey Come Back to Baltimore? http://www.rantsport...k-to-baltimore/

@Jeff_Kryglik

#33 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:10 AM

Should Hockey Come Back to Baltimore? http://www.rantsport...k-to-baltimore/

http://www.baltimore...e/?hl=baltimore

I don't think you'll see an NHL team as long as the Caps are in DC. I think it's more likely that the region (DC-Baltimore combined) could house NBA teams in each city. Neither scenario is too likely as Leonsis would probably do everything to stop it and I believe in each case there's provisions set-up to not have two teams in such close proximity to each other excluding bigger markets where it's already the case (New York, LA). I think it's possible with a new arena, you could see a minor league team and Caps games (most likely preseason, but maybe occasional regular season if attendance is subpar at Verizon Center).

• JeremyStrain likes this
@levineps

#34 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,561 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:34 AM

I am pro-new arena but I don't see the reasoning to build a new arena without an NHL or NBA team playing there 40 times a year. Sure college hoops, concerts and conventions would be great but the regular draw of a pro sports team is what drives the arena and the businesses around it.

Unfortunately, Baltimore would likely become a bargaining chip for current teams to build new arenas if they did build the arena without an agreement for an NBA or NHL team to move here.

Otherwise, I dont see the need for a new arena to host minor league sports teams. The current arena is able to handle that, as well as concerts, and it's paid off.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#35 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:50 AM

I am pro-new arena but I don't see the reasoning to build a new arena without an NHL or NBA team playing there 40 times a year. Sure college hoops, concerts and conventions would be great but the regular draw of a pro sports team is what drives the arena and the businesses around it.

Unfortunately, Baltimore would likely become a bargaining chip for current teams to build new arenas if they did build the arena without an agreement for an NBA or NHL team to move here.

Otherwise, I dont see the need for a new arena to host minor league sports teams. The current arena is able to handle that, as well as concerts, and it's paid off.

I've had that stance somewhat, but I think it's a bit shortsighted. Chris has consistently laid out a good case for building one regardless.

Becoming a bargaining chip is better than being a non-factor JMO. But as I said above, with the rules already in place, it's pretty unlikely it will even be a bargaining chip.

At the very least, I think you need a major renovation to the Baltimore Arena. The building is 50 years old though, I think new blood altogether here would be best.

@levineps

#36 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:53 AM

Maybe Plank will suddenly become obsessed with indoor horse racing and build the arena himself. That'd be a fart in the wind for him anyway.

#37 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:01 AM

http://www.baltimore...e/?hl=baltimore

I don't think you'll see an NHL team as long as the Caps are in DC. I think it's more likely that the region (DC-Baltimore combined) could house NBA teams in each city. Neither scenario is too likely as Leonsis would probably do everything to stop it and I believe in each case there's provisions set-up to not have two teams in such close proximity to each other excluding bigger markets where it's already the case (New York, LA). I think it's possible with a new arena, you could see a minor league team and Caps games (most likely preseason, but maybe occasional regular season if attendance is subpar at Verizon Center).

NO chance this area can support two hockey teams. They can't support the one they have without the bandwagon fans who disappear every time there is a 3 game losing streak.

NHL won't allow another team anywhere near southern half of the country for a long while anyway. Too much of a failure on their let's expand to warmer climates idea.

• DuffMan likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#38 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:04 AM

NO chance this area can support two hockey teams. They can't support the one they have without the bandwagon fans who disappear every time there is a 3 game losing streak.

NHL won't allow another team anywhere near southern half of the country for a long while anyway. Too much of a failure on their let's expand to warmer climates idea.

I was going to say, with Atlanta not being able to support hockey, there's no chance Baltimore could with a team so close... and let's face it, a lot of Baltimore Sports fans who are hockey fans anyway have adopted the Caps as their hockey team and wouldn't switch (unless they're the fair weather types). I'm a die hard Caps fan, have been my whole life, so they wouldn't be getting my support.

• JeremyStrain and Oriole85 like this

#39 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:12 AM

Pre-Ovie, they weren't selling out playoff games. And I thik the hockey growth is fading somewhat. It's much better than it was pre-lockout, don't get me wrong, but there's a shelf life for how long it can continue with yearly early exits from the playoffs.

I realize some Baltimore sports fans will never support DC sports teams (and the same is true vice versa) -- I root for both, except I can't stand some Nats fans. If you like hockey, your best chance is to follow the Caps. It may not be the greatest situation in the world, but I think it beats the alternative.

I was talking to Drew from WNST a while back on bringing an NHL team to Baltimore. Even he conceded it wasn't going to happen with a new arena.

• JeremyStrain likes this
@levineps

#40 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:59 AM

The best bet for hockey in Baltimore is definitely through an affiliate, and like Luke said, the Bears ain't leaving Hershey, so it likely wouldn't be the Caps affiliate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=