#42 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:09 PM

Like I said earlier in this thread (although about a year ago now :P), it would have been ideal for the Capitals to trade affiliates with the Flyers when the Spectrum came down and they moved the Phantoms away. Let Philadelphia have the Bears and either move the Phantoms in right away or keep them in limbo until there's a new arena ready. But that team is moving to Allentown permanently.

That strengthens both markets by giving Baltimore a permanent minor-league hockey presence with a NHL club in the same market, and Washington the fanbase they build in Baltimore as players move 30 miles down the road.

@DJ_McCann

#43 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:38 PM

I am pro-new arena but I don't see the reasoning to build a new arena without an NHL or NBA team playing there 40 times a year. Sure college hoops, concerts and conventions would be great but the regular draw of a pro sports team is what drives the arena and the businesses around it.

Unfortunately, Baltimore would likely become a bargaining chip for current teams to build new arenas if they did build the arena without an agreement for an NBA or NHL team to move here.

Otherwise, I dont see the need for a new arena to host minor league sports teams. The current arena is able to handle that, as well as concerts, and it's paid off.

Conventions are a huge business, and the city is starting to lose some (Otakon, notably) because of the current convention space. So they are going to renovate/rebuild the convention center anyway. If they are going to do that they might as well put in an arena that can add value to the building. I already find it pretty amazing that no one is pushing it behind the scenes as a way to get a Democratic National Convention to Baltimore; you can't tell me the party-in-power in the city and state wouldn't do anything in the world for that.

Baltimore could go to the head of the line (non-Seattle division) for an NBA team if an arena is in place, as there is history both in high-school and the NBA in the city, and it would be easier to support that league as opposed to the NHL.

Add in more concerts and other events to the current rotation, and it makes sense.

@DJ_McCann

#44 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:40 PM

I'm all for the new arena. Believe me, especially since a chunk of it will be privately financed.

I can see the DNC coming here eventually, but the city represents a lot of the worst things about a one-party stranglehold.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#45 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:43 PM

I'm all for the new arena. Believe me, especially since a chunk of it will be privately financed.

I can see the DNC coming here eventually, but the city represents a lot of the worst things about a one-party stranglehold.

Yeah, but they won't showcase THAT ;)

@DJ_McCann

#46 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:45 PM

Even Democrats should be embarrassed by what they've created here.

/politics.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#47 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:34 PM

So I know we've discussed this before and now that it has been mentioned, how viable is the NBA for Baltimore with a new arena?

As Jeremy mentioned with the Caps, the area can't support one team adequately -- there's even less support for the Wizards right now than the Caps, ratings-wise/attendance. If the team did better, I have no doubt people would show up. DC like Baltimore is a good basketball market.

Would a generic Baltimore-based franchise be able to get 16-17k people a game? Corporate support? TV viewership? You name it...

I don't know how much of the Wizards audience is from the Baltimore area. Just judging the people I know both in real life and social media, it's much more for the Caps. While not their direct market, I'd imagine they take a hit of sorts with a Baltimore-based team. I'd imagine Leonsis fighting it even if there aren't any bylaws against it (which I believe there are).

I have no doubt that the people in here for the most part would be supporting it but how about Joe Fan.

@levineps

#48 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:59 PM

I pledge to you all, if I ever become a billionaire, I will bring an NHL and NBA franchise to Baltimore.  I'll build the damn arena myself right on the water or in the burbs.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#49 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:05 PM

I pledge to you all, if I ever become a billionaire, I will bring an NHL and NBA franchise to Baltimore.  I'll build the damn arena myself right on the water or in the burbs.

I, for one, will hold you to that :lol:

@DJ_McCann

#50 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:09 PM

So I know we've discussed this before and now that it has been mentioned, how viable is the NBA for Baltimore with a new arena?

As Jeremy mentioned with the Caps, the area can't support one team adequately -- there's even less support for the Wizards right now than the Caps, ratings-wise/attendance. If the team did better, I have no doubt people would show up. DC like Baltimore is a good basketball market.

Would a generic Baltimore-based franchise be able to get 16-17k people a game? Corporate support? TV viewership? You name it...

I don't know how much of the Wizards audience is from the Baltimore area. Just judging the people I know both in real life and social media, it's much more for the Caps. While not their direct market, I'd imagine they take a hit of sorts with a Baltimore-based team. I'd imagine Leonsis fighting it even if there aren't any bylaws against it (which I believe there are).

I have no doubt that the people in here for the most part would be supporting it but how about Joe Fan.

The biggest issue with any new team in Baltimore is corporate money, especially splitting three ways instead of two. I can easily see both the Orioles and Ravens (privately, at least) opposing such a plan.

Again, Baltimore has a history in terms of basketball, both pro and high-school. That is a point in favor.

@DJ_McCann

#51 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:11 PM

If the Wizards don't want the Bullets nickname, we'll take it back!

#StillWishestheNFLteamwascalledtheColts

• DuffMan likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#52 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:18 PM

I still think Leonsis wants to get some momentum going with his team and then switch the name back. But if not, I'm down.

@DJ_McCann

#53 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:24 PM

The biggest issue with any new team in Baltimore is corporate money, especially splitting three ways instead of two. I can easily see both the Orioles and Ravens (privately, at least) opposing such a plan.

Again, Baltimore has a history in terms of basketball, both pro and high-school. That is a point in favor.

I'm sure the O's still oppose the Ravens privately. I think the O's have more to lose here. I doubt the Ravens would be too effected, assuming they stay somewhat relevant.

There is a history with basketball and I don't think it can hurt, it's a good market for basketball. I'm not sure how relevant the history is when it's now been over 40 years. San Diego, Buffalo, Kansas City and Cincinnati have a history with basketball as well.

@levineps

#54 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:25 PM

Wouldn't the Wizards would have to give permission?

@levineps

#55 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:29 PM

I'm sure the O's still oppose the Ravens privately. I think the O's have more to lose here. I doubt the Ravens would be too effected, assuming they stay somewhat relevant.

There is a history with basketball and I don't think it can hurt, it's a good market for basketball. I'm not sure how relevant the history is when it's now been over 40 years. San Diego, Buffalo, Kansas City and Cincinnati have a history with basketball as well.

Only one of those cities is bigger than Baltimore, and only one of those cities has a new arena; they aren't the same one.

@DJ_McCann

#56 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:15 PM

The economy will likely always be solid here too, with all the federal jobs located in Baltimore and nearby.

That is something other cities don't have, like Cleveland, who is going through a big recession and can't get more than 10K out to see their team battle for the playoffs for the first time in 7 years.

#57 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:28 PM

The economy will likely always be solid here too, with all the federal jobs located in Baltimore and nearby.

That is something other cities don't have, like Cleveland, who is going through a big recession and can't get more than 10K out to see their team battle for the playoffs for the first time in 7 years.

I don't think Cleveland would get an NBA team today. Good point on the economy -- the region is as recession proof as you can get because the government isn't going out of business, atleast anytime soon.

@levineps

#58 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,392 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:33 PM

Yes, the Orioles would no doubt lose more in attendance and corporate money than the Ravens. But they might have something to gain as well. An NBA team will be looking for an RSN to broadcast its games on. With the Wizards and Caps already occupying CSN and its overflow channel during the same months, MASN would seem a perfect fit. Since there is only about a 2-week overlap during early April between NBA and MLB seasons, I'm sure something could be worked out during that period. MASN would then have live professional sports programming year-round. They would also have some leverage to raise their carriage rates to increase revenues.....plus NBA games would no doubt bring in more advertising dollars than whatever filler MASN airs from Oct-Mar.

#59 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,392 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:41 PM

BTW, I loved the tossing of a crab on the ice after one of the Caps goals. Not sure why some people got their panties in a bunch over it.

#60 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:41 PM

Yes, the Orioles would no doubt lose more in attendance and corporate money than the Ravens. But they might have something to gain as well. An NBA team will be looking for an RSN to broadcast its games on. With the Wizards and Caps already occupying CSN and its overflow channel during the same months, MASN would seem a perfect fit. Since there is only about a 2-week overlap during early April between NBA and MLB seasons, I'm sure something could be worked out during that period. MASN would then have live professional sports programming year-round. They would also have some leverage to raise their carriage rates to increase revenues.....plus NBA games would no doubt bring in more advertising dollars than whatever filler MASN airs from Oct-Mar.

This team wouldn't be playing in the playoffs?

@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=