You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 October 2021 - 08:06 PM

Ken Weinman is great. Good people.

Very surprised to hear anyone on 105.7 refer to someone at the Ravens in that way - at least with it not involving a WFT like scandal. I've never heard anyone refer to Steele with anything other than admiration and respect. Maybe this situation will land him in some hot water.
  • SBTarheel and Mike in STL like this

#642 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,443 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 20 October 2021 - 08:24 PM

Long time ago I was bartending/serving at Red Robin in Owings Mills. I'd see a fair share of local celebrities. If they were by themselves I might say something given we had sports on TV. Bruce Cunningham, Ken Weinman. Awesome guys. Coleman, didn't give you the time of day. 

Couple years after that, I was looking for an internship in radio. I reached out all around town and Coleman told me to come in to meet him when he was at 1370. I asked ahead of time if a certain time worked when I got out of school, which he agreed to. I arrived on time, then he lost his mind when I showed up so close to when he's prepping to go on air (30 minutes before, but a time he agreed to). He maybe asked me a question or two while he was getting his coffee. Pretty much berated me for five minutes, tossed me a copy of the Ravens media guide for the upcoming game, said I could "take that with me," and said "In the future you might not want to meet someone in the media right before they go on air. Take care."

Nice guy.

As long as we’re story swapping, I briefly crossed paths with him too many years ago, on the OPACY club level. I was in The Sun skybox with my GF at the time (she was a rep in the advertising dept) and I ducked out to the bar to buy a round of shots. I get there and there’s Coleman, just sitting there all alone trying to chat up the bartender, who looked like he just wanted him to leave. I swear I think he was hoping I’d recognize him and buy him a shot in exchange for mentioning my name on the radio the next morning. No go….didn’t even acknowledge him.

Telling that story brings back memories though. I’ll skip the details, but the evening ended with getting invited to a big outing on Jack Antwerpen’s yacht several days later….he was my GFs account and was in the skybox, that’s who one of the shots was for. Don’t recall much about the yacht ride, other than I was totally shitfaced by the time we got back to the marina.

• You Play to Win the Game and Mike in STL like this

#643 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 06:10 AM

Ken Weinman is great. Good people.

Very surprised to hear anyone on 105.7 refer to someone at the Ravens in that way - at least with it not involving a WFT like scandal. I've never heard anyone refer to Steele with anything other than admiration and respect. Maybe this situation will land him in some hot water.

One can only hope. He loves talking about bad about good people that he thinks treated him badly, as if he doesn’t bring it on himself. It’s an awful trait to have. He asks Harbaugh stupid questions then goes on the radio and blasts him for not getting a good answer to his dumb question. Why keep giving him access?
@BSLMikeRandall

#644 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 October 2021 - 07:20 AM

You'd think that kind of thing might come up if 105.7 tries and bids on the games at a future date.

#645 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,199 posts

Posted 23 October 2021 - 01:35 PM

Long time ago I was bartending/serving at Red Robin in Owings Mills. I'd see a fair share of local celebrities. If they were by themselves I might say something given we had sports on TV. Bruce Cunningham, Ken Weinman. Awesome guys. Coleman, didn't give you the time of day.

Couple years after that, I was looking for an internship in radio. I reached out all around town and Coleman told me to come in to meet him when he was at 1370. I asked ahead of time if a certain time worked when I got out of school, which he agreed to. I arrived on time, then he lost his mind when I showed up so close to when he's prepping to go on air (30 minutes before, but a time he agreed to). He maybe asked me a question or two while he was getting his coffee. Pretty much berated me for five minutes, tossed me a copy of the Ravens media guide for the upcoming game, said I could "take that with me," and said "In the future you might not want to meet someone in the media right before they go on air. Take care."

Nice guy.

That interview story is awful.

Sorry you went through that BS.

What an asswipe.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#646 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 07 February 2022 - 09:00 AM

Bruce Cunningham is retiring from channel 45.

• BSLMiltonKent likes this

#647 BSLMiltonKent

BSLMiltonKent

Sports Media Analyst

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 February 2022 - 09:09 AM

BSL: Bruce Cunningham To Retire

https://baltimorespo...gham-to-retire/

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#648 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 21 February 2022 - 12:52 PM

New guy on the O's beat for MLB.com, replacing Joe Trezza.

Some news: I’m coming home. Today is my first day as the Orioles beat reporter for http://MLB.com. I’m eager for this new challenge and to intertwine even more with the city, org., press box and fanbase. This Marylander is excited to be back in Baltimore covering ball.

#649 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 21 February 2022 - 12:53 PM

Back from a much-needed social media cleanse with news: excited to hand the Orioles beat off to @zachsilver, who will do great covering his hometown team. It’s been a rewarding 3+ years on the beat and I’ll remain involve in Orioles coverage (as well as Nats), in a hybrid role.

• SBTarheel likes this

#650 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,893 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 23 February 2022 - 04:04 PM

New person joining Nathan Ruiz for the Sun's Orioles beat. I know him irl so I'm slightly biased, but I think he'll be a good hire.

https://twitter.com/...584519104745479

• BobPhelan likes this

she/her

#651 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,145 posts

Posted 28 March 2022 - 12:22 PM

@1057TheFan
From our PD @chucksapienza Very excited to announce additions to our staff: @GlennClarkRadio & @theNFLchick will host a weekend show @itsahooded4iron with host a weekend golf show called “Fairways and Greens” @CordellWoodland returns as our beat reporter covering Os & Ravens

#652 BSLMiltonKent

BSLMiltonKent

Sports Media Analyst

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 31 March 2022 - 08:25 AM

BSL: Bruce Cunningham says goodbye

https://baltimorespo...m-says-goodbye/

• BSLChrisStoner and Mike in STL like this

#653 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,145 posts

Posted 16 April 2022 - 10:04 AM

John Eisenberg retires... 
https://www.baltimor...rement-farewell

The best to him. Between his time at The Sun, Comcast, and with the Ravens (not to mention his books) I think he has been the area's best sports writer for decades.

• Mike in STL likes this

#654 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 16 April 2022 - 01:37 PM

John Eisenberg retires...
https://www.baltimor...rement-farewell

The best to him. Between his time at The Sun, Comcast, and with the Ravens (not to mention his books) I think he has been the area's best sports writer for decades.

Hands down the best. Remained so level headed in this hot take world sports media has become. A gentleman whenever I’d reach out to him to be on our early podcasts, or just for advice in general.
  • BSLMikeLowe likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#655 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,443 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 16 April 2022 - 01:55 PM

Hands down the best. Remained so level headed in this hot take world sports media has become. A gentleman whenever I’d reach out to him to be on our early podcasts, or just for advice in general.

The local sports reporting scene has taken a hit with Cunningham and Eisenberg heading off to retirement, especially while the Colemans and the Nestors remain.

• Mike in STL likes this

#656 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 12:44 PM

Looks like Coleman is out at 105.7

We’ll. Time to depart . I was let go today in a cost cutting move. Right as vacation begins . But thanks to my bosses and colleagues @1057TheFan! #Thebusiness

#657 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 01:19 PM

15 years of being a Polly Pissy Pants comes to an end.
  • Mike B likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#658 BSLJoeLucia

BSLJoeLucia

Sports Media Analyst

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 23 August 2022 - 11:32 AM

Ted Leonsis' Monumental is buying out the rest of NBC Sports Washington

https://monumentalsp...eacquiresnbcsw/

Clearly leading to a DTC offering for the Caps and Wizards next fall.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#659 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 10:03 AM

Looks like the Baltimore Banner is going to have O's coverage.

Life update: Today is my last day at The Baltimore Sun. I truly loved my time there. I’ll still be covering the Orioles, so I’m not going far. I’ll just be doing so for the @BaltimoreBanner. I’m excited to build something new here in Baltimore, and I hope you’ll keep reading.

• BSLMikeLowe and BSLRoseKatz like this

#660 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 02 December 2022 - 06:35 PM

Saw that they were looking, they’re getting a gem with Kotska. Look forward to his coverage for them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=