#21 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:08 AM

It's true. The organization is a joke. I'm done. Baseball is dead to me.

Note: I reserve the right to take some of this back if the O's shock me and make some good moves this offseason. Certainly not holding my breath.

Or when it's April.

• Oriole85 likes this

@AdamWolff

#22 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:10 AM

Roch seems to think we are getting a prospect as well.
Roll Tide

#23 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

If they don't use Johnson's salary elsewhere, I'll complain

I'm not holding my breath on that one ;)

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#24 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,932 posts

We would have been better in 2013 without Jim Johnson than with him, without using his salary elsewhere. Trading him for anything is fine with me, as long as we spend that cash to try and improve elsewhere (which I question if we'll do or not). I would have been content with non-tendering him.

#25 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:12 AM

We would have been better in 2013 without Jim Johnson than with him, without using his salary elsewhere.Trading him for anything is fine with me, as long as we spend that cash to try and improve elsewhere (which I question if we'll do or not). I would have been content with non-tendering him.

This totally misses the point.

They had an asset going into 2013. They knew they couldn't sign him long-term. They knew bullpen pitchers are volatile year to year. There were other cheaper options available.

So why did they keep him? 

Simple question that has no answer.

@PeterDiLutis

#26 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:12 AM

@danconnollysun: Duquette on the trade: “It’s really about the allocation of resources and to have a competitive team, you have to have proper balance."

#27 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,932 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:13 AM

I do think its beyond pathetic that Angelos pretends the Orioles can't afford a payroll that would allow them to keep an overpaid but still ok closer, but somehow the Athletics can.<br /><br />
  • DuffMan and JHTerp01 like this

#28 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

I'm not holding my breath on that one ;)

That we don't get something else with the $? Why not?  Seems clear DD has been given a budget. If he wasn't going to use that money elsewhere, he could have just kept Johnson. The only reason to make the trade is because DD thinks he can utilize those resources in a better fashion, that actually improves the team.

#29 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

The Orioles painted themselves in a corner and basically said, we will take anything if you take his entire contract.

How the Orioles handled this reflects poorly on the entire process of how they did this.

There is no doubt Oakland won this trade....and they won it by a lot.

The Orioles should have kept Johnson..tried to get him for 9-9.5M and just continue to shop him as other closers come off the board or go into the season with him on the roster and hope to move him later.

True. Again, if DD has immediate plans for the 10 mil I'll be more forgiving. otherwise, yeah, DD cant play poker worth a damn. There is no doubt that some team would have called the O's at some point before he hit FA next year and offered more than Weeks. Whether it was a month from now or July at the deadline.

Again, no trust in DD here and shame on the org for not being willing to pick up any cash to facilitate a better return.

#30 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:15 AM

BTW....I don't believe Weeks has any options. Someone might want to check that though. If not, that makes the move that much worse.

He was added to the 40-man and called up in 2011 and stayed up the remainder of the season.  They've used options the last 2 years.  One remaining.

#31 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:16 AM

This totally misses the point.

They had an asset going into 2013. They knew they couldn't sign him long-term. They knew bullpen pitchers are volatile year to year. There were other cheaper options available.

So why did they keep him? 

Simple question that has no answer.

The fact that hindsight now(or the foresight of some last year), says Johnson should have been moved last year; doesn't change the rationale of why trading him now makes sense.

#32 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:16 AM

Or when it's April.

Im dead serious dude. As of today, Im done. I've never said that before. Even going through the '00s. I just hope more people realize how much of a joke PA and this org are and stop supporting them. I mean I'm not asking for anyone to stop loving the Orioles, but I don't know how you could spend a dime of your money supporting this franchise when they don't give a damn about trying to win.

• PD24 likes this

#33 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:17 AM

True. Again, if DD has immediate plans for the 10 mil I'll be more forgiving. otherwise, yeah, DD cant play poker worth a damn. There is no doubt that some team would have called the O's at some point before he hit FA next year and offered more than Weeks. Whether it was a month from now or July at the deadline.

Again, no trust in DD here and shame on the org for not being willing to pick up any cash to facilitate a better return.

But what are they going to use the 10M on?

If the orioles dealt Johnson to sign Feldman to a 3/30 deal, would that excite you?

#34 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:18 AM

The fact that hindsight now(or the foresight of some last year), says Johnson should have been moved last year; doesn't change the rationale of why trading him now makes sense.

But it has to hurt how you view the current regime and make you worry about the Wieters and Davis situations, as well as just the idea of no long term vision.

#35 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

I do think its beyond pathetic that Angelos pretends the Orioles can't afford a payroll that would allow them to keep an overpaid but still ok closer, but somehow the Athletics can.<br /><br />

Sure, I agree with this.  There was no reason for the O's payroll to have to stay flat this year.

However, since it is... this is the type of move you are forced to make. The O's can win at this payroll or less, if they allocate their funds better. Shouldn't have to do that, but whatever. If they allocate their resources better they can still compete, and if this is the start of that... great.

#36 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,932 posts

Angelos doesn't care about winning. I do think those below him are trying their best but it's damn near impossible given the limitations being dictated from up top. I have zero problems with this trade as long as we can use the salary saved. I doubt we can though.

• 1970 likes this

#37 Matt

Matt

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:19 AM

So much for trading him for Porcello.

#38 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:20 AM

But it has to hurt how you view the current regime and make you worry about the Wieters and Davis situations, as well as just the idea of no long term vision.

Or they've adjusted their philosophies... or they had their first taste of success as an organization since '97, and weren't willing to take the PR hit they would have, had they traded Johnson last year.

#39 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:20 AM

Or they've adjusted their philosophies... or they had their first taste of success as an organization since '97, and weren't willing to take the PR hit they would have, had they traded Johnson last year.

And that all shows poor vision and not understanding the big picture.

#40 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:21 AM

Weeks is very likely better than Flaherty. Just based on career major-league numbers, Weeks has a higher OPS (and a 40-point OBP advantage) in 500 more PAs. Weeks can take a walk and steal a base, and has done so in the majors; Flaherty hasn't. Neither is a great defensive option. Weeks can switch-hit. He's also a little bit younger, and going into his age-27 season.

@DJ_McCann

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=