• Please log in to reply
320 replies to this topic

#1 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:42 PM

@Ken_Rosenthal: Source: #Athletics acquire Jim Johnson from #Orioles for 2B Jemile Weeks.

#2 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,748 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:48 PM

....because all of the mediocre 2B that can give you a .680 OPS were spoken for?

#3 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:49 PM

This is kind of exactly the type of deal I thought Johnson would bring back. Return would've been better if we paid some of his salary, no doubt about that.

@JeffLongBP

#4 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:49 PM

Yep....This is really bad.
Roll Tide

#5 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:51 PM

Now can everyone that thought he had decent trade value say "My bad" or are we going to hear how they could have done much better for an overpaid reliever?

#6 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:52 PM

If they spend it, I'm good with basically dumping this contract. He isn't worth the money he is projected to make. Not even close.

#7 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,748 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:53 PM

This is kind of exactly the type of deal I thought Johnson would bring back. Return would've been better if we paid some of his salary, no doubt about that.

....then just non-tender him.....why bother adding Jemile Weeks?

#8 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:55 PM

Now can everyone that thought he had decent trade value say "My bad" or are we going to hear how they could have done much better for an overpaid reliever?

He didn't have good value but he had more than this. The O's would have been better off offering arb, hoping he had a good half year and traded him at the deadline. He likely has more value as a  2 or 3 month rental than Weeks.

#9 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:55 PM

Honestly, the most appalling part of this trade is that it just shows, once again, that the Orioles organization as a whole has absolutely no long-term vision. They look down a narrow path focusing on each year and that's the bottom line.

I was not in favor of trading JJ before last season because I felt they would ultimately pony up the money to sign him long-term, even if he was a bit overpaid, because I (stupidly) thought they would keep increasing the payroll if they kept winning. So, if they thought that okay, he would likely be overpaid but they were going to make the investment into the team to keep winning, then fine...hold onto him.

But if they weren't going to do that, then why hold onto him for last year? They could have signed Koji for 2/10 or any other arm to close and traded him coming off a 50 save season when he was perhaps the best closer in baseball. Because they made the playoffs in 2012?

This organization is a joke. People wonder and mock WNST for being negative and then they constantly disappoint us every single year. It's pathetic. 

• Dr. FLK, DuffMan and JHTerp01 like this
@PeterDiLutis

#10 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,748 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:57 PM

I'm all for waiting until all the moves are made,....

....but right now the Orioles are a worse team.

#11 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:57 PM

A lot of guys are due arbitration raises this year.  That money has to come from somewhere. Plus, we've got that pesky draft coming up in June.  Those guys want money, too.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#12 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:58 PM

Hell Weeks is the type of player I would expect to receive in return if we are sitting at the deadline in July and JJ has a 4.00 ERA with 20 saves and 5 blown saves. There was just no need to make this trade now unless you already have something in the works for the 10 mil. That is doubtful though.

#13 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:59 PM

A lot of guys are due arbitration raises this year.  That money has to come from somewhere. Plus, we've got that pesky draft coming up in June.  Those guys want money, too.

Yeah...how about the money comes from the hundreds of millions of dollars the owner has pocketed and is currently pocketing from the team over the past decade? 

• JHTerp01 likes this
@PeterDiLutis

#14 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:00 AM

Hell Weeks is the type of player I would expect to receive in return if we are sitting at the deadline in July and JJ has a 4.00 ERA with 20 saves and 5 blown saves. There was just no need to make this trade now unless you already have something in the works for the 10 mil. That is doubtful though.

Angelos needs another wing on his house. It's really not that difficult to comprehend. Say what you want about Buck but I'm pretty sure he has a burning desire to win. I can't imagine DD likes losing either. So, it points back to one man. 

@PeterDiLutis

#15 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:00 AM

He didn't have good value but he had more than this. The O's would have been better off offering arb, hoping he had a good half year and traded him at the deadline. He likely has more value as a  2 or 3 month rental than Weeks.

If he had more than this, they would have gotten more back. I don't think he had much of any value at full salary.

Maybe waiting til July would have been better, but people got their hopes up way too much for an off-season deal.

#16 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:03 AM

Posted this in the other thread, but it bears repeating

Dan Connolly ‏@danconnollysun

Duquette says player to be named later will be a minor leaguer from Oakland. Will be announced by Dec. 15 -- that's after the Rule 5 draft

#17 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:03 AM

Honestly, the most appalling part of this trade is that it just shows, once again, that the Orioles organization as a whole has absolutely no long-term vision. They look down a narrow path focusing on each year and that's the bottom line.

I was not in favor of trading JJ before last season because I felt they would ultimately pony up the money to sign him long-term, even if he was a bit overpaid, because I (stupidly) thought they would keep increasing the payroll if they kept winning. So, if they thought that okay, he would likely be overpaid but they were going to make the investment into the team to keep winning, then fine...hold onto him.

But if they weren't going to do that, then why hold onto him for last year? They could have signed Koji for 2/10 or any other arm to close and traded him coming off a 50 save season when he was perhaps the best closer in baseball. Because they made the playoffs in 2012?

This organization is a joke. People wonder and mock WNST for being negative and then they constantly disappoint us every single year. It's pathetic. 

It's true. The organization is a joke. I'm done. Baseball is dead to me.

Note: I reserve the right to take some of this back if the O's shock me and make some good moves this offseason. Certainly not holding my breath.

• PD24 likes this

#18 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:07 AM

Not sure why anyone is complaining.

The return in this trade is not Weeks, but the added payroll flexibility that moving Johnson brings.

Should they have moved Johnson last year? Probably, kudos to those of you who called for that.... but they didn't. It's a year later, and they needed the flexibility since the overall payroll does not appear to be increasing.

So they found a taker, got something back, and presumably will use Johnson's salary elsewhere.

If they don't use Johnson's salary elsewhere, I'll complain.... but I fully expect them to do so.

Where the O's a better team with Johnson vs. they are now? Clearly, but let's see what is added.

Should the O's be spending more? Probably, but if they are not going to do so... then they needed to make this move.

• McNulty likes this

#19 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

The Orioles painted themselves in a corner and basically said, we will take anything if you take his entire contract.

How the Orioles handled this reflects poorly on the entire process of how they did this.

There is no doubt Oakland won this trade....and they won it by a lot.

The Orioles should have kept Johnson..tried to get him for 9-9.5M and just continue to shop him as other closers come off the board or go into the season with him on the roster and hope to move him later.
  • Russ, TonySoprano, DuffMan and 2 others like this

#20 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

If he had more than this, they would have gotten more back. I don't think he had much of any value at full salary.

Maybe waiting til July would have been better, but people got their hopes up way too much for an off-season deal.

I don't disagree. I mean I was saying during the year that JJ had to be a nontender candidate so I get it. Ijust think they would have been better getting someone like Seth Smith or Barton. Someone who would have had a better chance of helping the o's this season. As I noted in the other thread, they were potential non tender guys as well. So, you can't tell me that we couldn't have got one of them for JJ.

It baffles me why DD traded for a Uti player who has little chance to beat out Flaherty.

BTW....I don't believe Weeks has any options. Someone might want to check that though. If not, that makes the move that much worse.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=