#22 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,592 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:13 AM

The one thing that always amazed me about this situation is that his trainer didn't just take the hit for it.

How easy would this have been.....

"He didn't do it.  It was my fault.  We were training in the offseason and he was struggling with some nagging injuries and the challenges of getting older and I was concerned how the stress and stuff would impact him as he was preparing heading towards the 3000 hit milestone, so I used 'whatever' to try and get him over the training hump.  It was the offseason, I figured it would be out of his system, if he was even tested.  I didn't tell him because I didn't want him thinking about it.  It was stupid on my part and I certainly regret doing it.  Raffy has built a Hall of Fame career playing the game the right way and I tainted him and it through my dumb indiscretion."

Raffy could throw on some false outrage, fire him and sue him (later dropping it to 'put it behind him').

It would have at least given voters some plausible excuse for putting him in.

Tainted B-12 from Tejada?  THAT'S what you go with?

#23 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:16 AM

The one thing that always amazed me about this situation is that his trainer didn't just take the hit for it.

How easy would this have been.....

Raffy could throw on some false outrage, fire him and sue him (later dropping it to 'put it behind him').

It would have at least given voters some plausible excuse for putting him in.

Tainted B-12 from Tejada?  THAT'S what you go with?

He might have had a few more votes the past few years, but with the force that the anti-PED writers are putting into keeping anyone with even a sniff of that out of the Hall, it wouldn't have helped that much. They are keeping guys like Bagwell out simply by association (or worse, accusing without evidence), so having an actual positive test, no matter the excuse, is fatal.

@DJ_McCann

#24 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 06:02 PM

FOX Sports: The rise and fall of Rafael Palmeiro

http://www.foxsports...moves-on-041816

#25 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 April 2016 - 06:31 PM

Still one of my favorites. Such a sweet swing and I always liked his business like personality and consistency.

#26 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 06:50 PM

If there is one accused steroid user that I still believe didn't do it, it's Palmeiro. But a lot of athletes have publicly denied taking steroids and still been caught later and it only makes it worse. If Raffy never went to Capitol Hill and wagged his finger he's not as hated as he was or is today. So in a way it was his own arrogance that cursed him and he did come off a bit arrogant in that article and it feels like he still lives in denial and can't believe he was caught. Still, I can't imagine the hell he went through whether self inflicted or not. Such a sad story all the way around, for so many reasons.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#27 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 18 April 2016 - 06:53 PM

Still one of my favorites. Such a sweet swing and I always liked his business like personality and consistency.

Man, I LOVED him..Still have his 1986 rookie cards as a Cub. I was crushed when he got dealt to Texas, though Mitch Williams did help the Cubs win the East in '89. When he and Will Clark were free agents the first time after the '93 season, EVERYONE wanted Clark, and I remember literally screaming at my Grandfather and Father (RIP) that we must get Raffy, forget Clark. Was so happy when we signed him and ended up being right about him being better than Clark long term. 

I never made too much of a big deal about the steroid stuff, beyond how stupid it is/was to fail a test. I want to believe him, I really do, but I don't know..

Oh well. 

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@beginthebegin71

#28 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 April 2016 - 08:47 PM

He should be in the HOF.

• Mike B likes this

#29 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,428 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:33 AM

Man, I LOVED him..Still have his 1986 rookie cards as a Cub. I was crushed when he got dealt to Texas, though Mitch Williams did help the Cubs win the East in '89. When he and Will Clark were free agents the first time after the '93 season, EVERYONE wanted Clark, and I remember literally screaming at my Grandfather and Father (RIP) that we must get Raffy, forget Clark. Was so happy when we signed him and ended up being right about him being better than Clark long term. 

I never made too much of a big deal about the steroid stuff, beyond how stupid it is/was to fail a test. I want to believe him, I really do, but I don't know..

Oh well. 

Not trying to go too deep in the psychology here, but it's always seemed pretty clear to me that he knows he did it, and he really really wants to have not done it.  I think that's what's caused a lot of his angst over it.  We know some guys did it, and they know they did it, and they don't care.  I think Raffy really wants to be a guy that was known as being clean, but he ended up getting popped.

I mean ever since it's happened, has he really ever adamantly said that he was clean?  He says it came from a tainted B12 shot and has stuck with that story, but he doesn't really say it with any great conviction.  Look at his comments from the article - when someone says something about his son he makes no reference to the fact that he's innocent, but rather to the fact that they shouldn't be talking to his son about it (which in his defense is the more important issue).  And look at the quote "If I cheated the game the way other guys cheated the game" - he doesn't say he didn't do it, just that he didn't do it to the extent that others did.

And remember when he got popped he gave that whole "the truth will eventually come out" line.  Well, it's been a decade and we're still waiting.

I do feel bad for the guy, and maybe he truly is innocent.  But the whole thing just screams to me of a guy that just can't confess to himself that he did it.

• NewMarketSean likes this

#30 tennOsfan

tennOsfan

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationJonesborough, TN

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:53 AM

The coldest thing in the Fox article was way after being let go by the Orioles, finally getting a communication from one of this teammates. Brian Roberts texted him, but when Palmeiro calls him back, Roberts said he texted him by mistake. Ouch.

#31 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 02:54 PM

The Athletic: Rosenthal: He's 53 and hasn't played in the majors since 2005, but Rafael Palmeiro is eyeing a comeback, and redemption
https://theathletic....and-redemption/

#32 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 06 December 2017 - 03:02 PM

The Athletic: Rosenthal: He's 53 and hasn't played in the majors since 2005, but Rafael Palmeiro is eyeing a comeback, and redemption
https://theathletic....and-redemption/

Go get 'em, Raffy!!

@beginthebegin71

#33 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:51 PM

I can't believe DD said he wouldn't rule out giving him a look.  WTF?

#34 JTrea81

JTrea81

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:12 PM

If we want to improve the 1B defense...

http://bleacherrepor...paign=editorial

Raffy is probably just a pure DH right now as he was pretty bad defensively in the final two years of his career, but I'd absolutely sign him to a minor league deal just to get his plate approach back in the organization.  If he somehow does well, you've got your LH DH for peanuts.  If not, maybe he can get some guys to stop swinging for the fences.

He is one of the best FA signings of the Angelos era, so I'd love to see him back in the organization somehow. 

#35 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:40 PM

I don't give a crap about giving Raffy a chance on a minor league deal, but he ain't going to do well.

Maybe if it was golf.

#36 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:40 AM

I can't believe DD said he wouldn't rule out giving him a look.  WTF?

Just remind DD that he is Cuban, then he'll rule him out.

• Mackus likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#37 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:36 AM

Raffy want to play, reminds me of when Jim Palmer came back to try to pitch after being elected to the Hall.   

He had no chance and neither does Raffy.  Still one of my favorite O's.

It is time to take him out of the penalty  box and put him into the Orioles HOF.

@mikeghg

#38 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:38 AM

He should be in the HOF.

At least the Orioles HOF.

Maybe the prettiest swing in Orioles history

@mikeghg

#39 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:40 AM

If he gets 1 MLB ab and again retires..he would again be eligible for the HOF in 5 yrs right?

#40 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:07 AM

At least the Orioles HOF.

Maybe the prettiest swing in Orioles history

Him or Boog...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=