2145 replies to this topic

#2001 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 30 April 2020 - 06:58 AM

Here's a topic I don't think we've ever discussed on here.

Anyone speak/fluent in a different language?  I took AP Spanish through high school and by senior year I was pretty good.  Of course I then didn't use it at all for about 20 years, but I started picking it up again a few months back and was amazed at how much I remembered.  Been trying to work on it and improve it recently, and while I still have trouble writing or speaking it myself, I can listen to or read conversations pretty well.

#2002 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 30 April 2020 - 07:10 AM

Here's a topic I don't think we've ever discussed on here.

Anyone speak/fluent in a different language?  I took AP Spanish through high school and by senior year I was pretty good.  Of course I then didn't use it at all for about 20 years, but I started picking it up again a few months back and was amazed at how much I remembered.  Been trying to work on it and improve it recently, and while I still have trouble writing or speaking it myself, I can listen to or read conversations pretty well.

No, but I wish I did. It's a very valuable skill to have. Keep it up. 

I've been to Mexico twice, Dominican, and Germany. Before each trip I'd spend a couple weeks trying to learn the basics, more than just please and thank you, because people in other countries appreciate the effort of trying to speak their language. They seem more friendly if you try before you ask them if they know English. 

Used a lot of google translate in Germany. Feel like a misconception is people know a little english everywhere. But out of the tourist areas, some don't know any english. So going to the grocery store, or bakery, deli, google translate helped a lot.

@BSLMikeRandall

#2003 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 30 April 2020 - 09:43 AM

I minored in Spanish in college (really only did so because I tested in to a high level and only really needed like 3 more courses to qualify).

I still use it a decent amount for work - not great at speaking but I can very easily read and write with little issues. Texting the Spanish-speaking clients is far easier than a phone call with them :D

#2004 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,792 posts

Posted 30 April 2020 - 09:45 AM

I'm quite jealous of anyone bilingual.

I took Spanish in middle and high school and recalled enough to help me out a little bit in Spanish speaking places I've visited. But just a few words here and there, not remotely conversational.

#2005 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 30 April 2020 - 11:19 AM

Eu falo pequeno Portuguese. Minha namorada é Brazilada. Entende?

@fuzydunlop

#2006 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 30 April 2020 - 02:48 PM

Eu falo pequeno Portuguese. Minha namorada é Brazilada. Entende?

You speak a little Portuguese.  Something is Brazilian.  Understand?

That's the best I can do on that one without cheating.

#2007 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 30 April 2020 - 03:17 PM

Pretty close, my girlfriend (namorada) is Brazilian, so I've been learning it for a few years now.  Frankly I'm still terrible with it, but I'm taking my duolingo lessons into overdrive during the lockdown.

@fuzydunlop

#2008 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 April 2020 - 03:20 PM

Took 5 years of Spanish in middle and high school and took German for 2 years in HS as well.

I wish I had kept them up. Barely remember anything at this point.

• glenn__davis likes this

#2009 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,200 posts

Posted 30 April 2020 - 03:41 PM

I took four years of Spanish in High School.

I didn't retain much because we did not use it to communicate in class.

At that time ( late 70's) the emphasis was on writing the language.

I tried to work with an app a few moths back, but I wasn't consistently working with it.

maybe I'l spark it back up.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#2010 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 30 April 2020 - 03:45 PM

Two years of French in middle school

Two years of French in high school

Two semesters of French in college

Remember very little but I was surprised how I could "somewhat" converse very simplistically when I was in Paris two years ago.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#2011 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 09:20 AM

Alright you maggots!  What's your best mile time?

My son just turned 12 and has been on-again / off-again trying for the last few months to get under 7 minutes.  I have no doubt that he can do it easily but he paces himself too much and then can't catch up.  Yesterday I ran with him to pace him and he came in at 7:01.  

I remember as a freshman in HS I ran a 5:50 during gym.  That was with no training, no real exercising other than being a normal active 14-year old.  I thought that was pretty good all things considering.  

#2012 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 09:57 AM

Probably 8 mins. In elementary school I came in under 9 mins once. I was always over 10-11 mins when I got bigger. Coast Guard standard we had to do 1.5 miles in 12:51 or less. I was always clocking in pretty damn close to it. I lost a bit of weight and once I did it in 11:58, meaning I was pacing about an 8 minute mile. But I'd also go hard first for as long as I could. Jog it out. Sprint as hard as I could until the last 200 yards or so. 

Make me run mile today I'd probably do it in a shade under 12. No, I'm not proud.

@BSLMikeRandall

#2013 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 May 2020 - 10:01 AM

Beer mile?

#2014 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 10:05 AM

Probably 8 mins. In elementary school I came in under 9 mins once. I was always over 10-11 mins when I got bigger. Coast Guard standard we had to do 1.5 miles in 12:51 or less. I was always clocking in pretty damn close to it. I lost a bit of weight and once I did it in 11:58, meaning I was pacing about an 8 minute mile. But I'd also go hard first for as long as I could. Jog it out. Sprint as hard as I could until the last 200 yards or so. 

Make me run mile today I'd probably do it in a shade under 12. No, I'm not proud.

Yeah - to be clear, when I said I paced my son to a 7:01...I ran the 1st and 2nd lap with him, took a lap off, then picked him up again for the 4th.  I'm in awful shape but I'm a pretty thin guy with long legs so I could probably still run it in around 8:00 or so right off the couch right now.  

Part of me wishes I had run cross-country in HS because I think I really would have been good at it.  But the part of me that hates running always got in the way.

#2015 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 10:10 AM

Yeah - to be clear, when I said I paced my son to a 7:01...I ran the 1st and 2nd lap with him, took a lap off, then picked him up again for the 4th.  I'm in awful shape but I'm a pretty thin guy with long legs so I could probably still run it in around 8:00 or so right off the couch right now.  

Part of me wishes I had run cross-country in HS because I think I really would have been good at it.  But the part of me that hates running always got in the way.

Yeah, I hate running just to run. But put a ball out there and I'll chase a basketball around a gym or shag after fly balls for hours.

• BobPhelan likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#2016 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,792 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 10:26 AM

5:40 as a freshman in gym class. I probably could be been decent at cross country but I hate running and always have. I did indoor track one winter, sprinting isn't as bad as long distance, also got to screw around with pole vaulting which is fun but very difficult.

I'm on terrible shape now. Need to do some cardio, but still don't wanna run. Once I move I'm thinking biking and kayaking could fill that workout void. Some occasional jogs but I'll never be a daily runner.

#2017 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,585 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 11 May 2020 - 06:43 PM

Yeah, I hate running just to run. But put a ball out there and I'll chase a basketball around a gym or shag after fly balls for hours.

Same

#2018 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 06:54 PM

When I'm actually doing something, I have incredible stamina... doesn't matter how much I'm sweating or tired, I just keep on chugging.  I wear out people half my age. Whatever it is, I just wanna get it done.  I'll rest up once that happens. (But if I sit down for 10 minutes, it's all over.)

When I'm exercising for it's own sake, I have almost no stamina at all.   I wish I did, but I don't.  I hate it.  I get bored.

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#2019 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 07:20 PM

Anmol Narang Becomes First Observant Sikh To Graduate From United States Military Academy

ctdqqdc2e0rrzbqk_1592029636.jpeg?tr=w-81

“I am excited and honoured to be fulfilling my dream of graduating from West Point on Saturday,” 2LT Narang said in a statement on the eve of the historic occasion.

“The confidence and support of my community back home in Georgia has been deeply meaningful to me, and I am humbled that in reaching this goal, I am showing other Sikh Americans that any career path is possible for anyone willing to rise to the challenge,” she said.

https://www.republic...LQRsf5HCnn5cJOw

• RShack likes this

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#2020 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 25 June 2020 - 07:07 AM

This is so 2020

https://www.nbcnews....gators-n1030291

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users