#81 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:29 PM

So if you're a Braves fan, is that supposed to make it easier? Also pre-1995, there were only two rounds, did you take that into consideration?

No, I forgot to take that into consideration. So since the playoff expansion, they have won won WS in 13 tries when they should have won about 1.6 times. Of course the win happened in the first year there. And they had a 1/4 chance in each of their first 3 times. So basically, they could have been expected to win about 2.4 times in this run if my math is somewhat decent.

And no, I'm not trying to make it easier. It's just not that crazy to have only won once and they've done a fine job of making it to the WS at least, so I don't think this is indicative of a franchise wide problem.

#82 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:46 PM

No, I forgot to take that into consideration. So since the playoff expansion, they have won won WS in 13 tries when they should have won about 1.6 times. Of course the win happened in the first year there. And they had a 1/4 chance in each of their first 3 times. So basically, they could have been expected to win about 2.4 times in this run if my math is somewhat decent.

And no, I'm not trying to make it easier. It's just not that crazy to have only won once and they've done a fine job of making it to the WS at least, so I don't think this is indicative of a franchise wide problem.

In the 90's sure, they haven't been to the WS since 1999 though. So they're underperforming in how far they are advancing recently, how much I'm not sure. In fact, they haven't been to the NLCS since 2001.

@levineps

#83 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:05 PM

In the 90's sure, they haven't been to the WS since 1999 though. So they're underperforming in how far they are advancing recently, how much I'm not sure. In fact, they haven't been to the NLCS since 2001.

Well the early 2000's teams are an extension of the 90's teams, then there was a 4 year stretch of not making it, and now they made it 3 out of the last 4 times counting their one WC game appearance. So I don't think you can look into the current Braves struggles too deeply or connect them much to the run from '91 to '05 when they made the playoffs every year they occured. 

#84 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,524 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:08 PM

I agree with the point Weber is making here. 

Also, as an Orioles fan, I'd take the last 20 years the Braves have had all day.

#85 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:12 PM

The ONLY connection is the idea that you have to wonder if the players put too much pressure on themselves since the organization hasn't done as well in the playoffs as you would hope.

#86 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:13 PM

Also, as an Orioles fan, I'd take the last 20 years the Braves have had all day.

Yea, that's the thing, and while I'd like to think I agree with you, Chris, especially given the O's awfulness until last year, I have to think there's a ton of "same old Braves" rhetoric today on Atlanta radio. 

I listen to MLB Network Radio ALL DAY at the office, and a lot of the talk nationally has been Braves playoff failures. 

@beginthebegin71

#87 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:21 PM

Yea, that's the thing, and while I'd like to think I agree with you, Chris, especially given the O's awfulness until last year, I have to think there's a ton of "same old Braves" rhetoric today on Atlanta radio. 

I listen to MLB Network Radio ALL DAY at the office, and a lot of the talk nationally has been Braves playoff failures. 

Yeah, well sports talk radio is often not very smart. They weren't even expected to beat the Dodgers by most. They lost to the best pitcher in baseball twice, and one of those times they had Freddy Freaking Garcia pitching. So I don't see this team as being some big disappointment. I don't think losing a 1 game playoff last year to the Cardinals is a sign of much. And lastly, it certainly wasn't embarrassing to lose to the future champs in the Giants in 2010. So this recent edition of the Braves hasn't been some juggernaut that has been lackluster in the postseason, they are pretty much who we thought they were as the great Denny Green would say. I also don't see these guys pressing any further because past teams that they had nothing to do with only one one title in a long run of success.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#88 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:25 PM

Yeah, well sports talk radio is often not very smart. They weren't even expected to beat the Dodgers by most. They lost to the best pitcher in baseball twice, and one of those times they had Freddy Freaking Garcia pitching. So I don't see this team as being some big disappointment. I don't think losing a 1 game playoff last year to the Cardinals is a sign of much. And lastly, it certainly wasn't embarrassing to lose to the future champs in the Giants in 2010. So this recent edition of the Braves hasn't been some juggernaut that has been lackluster in the postseason, they are pretty much who we thought they were as the great Denny Green would say. I also don't see these guys pressing any further because past teams that they had nothing to do with only one one title in a long run of success.

I don't disagree with one word of that, so I go back to what I said earlier in this thread, it's just plain weird. 

@beginthebegin71

#89 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:43 PM

Yeah of course, just like if you had said two years ago, the O's would have back-to-back winning years including last years epic run, but this year wasn't good enough for many on here. Expectations naturally change.

@levineps

#90 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:47 PM

Well the early 2000's teams are an extension of the 90's teams, then there was a 4 year stretch of not making it, and now they made it 3 out of the last 4 times counting their one WC game appearance. So I don't think you can look into the current Braves struggles too deeply or connect them much to the run from '91 to '05 when they made the playoffs every year they occured. 

Ok fair enough, my point is they haven't made the World Series 14 years, the LCS in over a decade. You did say previously the rosters were constructed differently between the two eras. How so? -- since many of the people, who were involved in the 90s are still involved in the organizations today including promotion from within (Wren).

@levineps

#91 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:53 PM

Ok fair enough, my point is they haven't made the World Series 14 years, the LCS in over a decade. You did say previously the rosters were constructed differently between the two eras. How so? -- since many of the people, who were involved in the 90s are still involved in the organizations today including promotion from within (Wren).

They had 3 HOF starting pitchers leading the way then plus usually another very good starter. Obviously they're not nearly as strong in that regard now. They've had very good pens for much of the time, but now have a much more dominant closer than what they usually had before. So starting pitching is the main difference, and it may not be due design, but rather good fortune in those guys turning out so great. 

Of course there have been differences in the position players too, but there have been a lot of changes there even during the '90's. The 90's teams were overall more talented of course too.

#92 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:56 PM

They had 3 HOF starting pitchers leading the way then plus usually another very good starter. Obviously they're not nearly as strong in that regard now. They've had very good pens for much of the time, but now have a much more dominant closer than what they usually had before. So starting pitching is the main difference, and it may not be due design, but rather good fortune in those guys turning out so great. 

Of course there have been differences in the position players too, but there have been a lot of changes there even during the '90's. The 90's teams were overall more talented of course too.

I think it's that, maybe they had a change of philosophy, but I haven't heard of it. Entirely possible though.

@levineps

#93 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:04 PM

I think it's that, maybe they had a change of philosophy, but I haven't heard of it. Entirely possible though.

Well I'm sure the philosophy hasn't remained exactly the same, but I'm not stating that there has been any large shift. I'm just pointing out something that's quite apparent, which is that if you look at the various versions of the Braves for this time, there are a lot of differences in talent, strengths, weaknesses, how balanced the roster is, etc. So I don't think there's one thing that can really be pointed out as why they have underperformed in the postseason. 

#94 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:04 PM

I miss Mark Lemke, Jeff Blauser, and Sid Bream. 

@beginthebegin71

#95 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:31 PM

Well I'm sure the philosophy hasn't remained exactly the same, but I'm not stating that there has been any large shift. I'm just pointing out something that's quite apparent, which is that if you look at the various versions of the Braves for this time, there are a lot of differences in talent, strengths, weaknesses, how balanced the roster is, etc. So I don't think there's one thing that can really be pointed out as why they have underperformed in the postseason. 

Yeah no disagreement, all teams evolve to some extent. Besides which once other teams find out their secret of success, they want to try to emulate it as much as possible.

In terms of the chronic underachieving, I don't think it's a total coincidence. But I'm not exactly sure why.

@levineps

#96 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:03 PM

Kinda douchey move by the Braves, IMO.

http://bleacherrepor...ick-them-to-win

@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#97 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:05 PM

Kinda douchey move by the Braves, IMO.

http://bleacherrepor...ick-them-to-win

How would it go over if Cal picked against the O's?... just food for thought

That said, I agree with you.

@levineps

#98 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:02 PM

ESPN: Braves to discuss McCann, Hudson

http://espn.go.com/m...cann-tim-hudson

@levineps

#99 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:40 AM

I'm in Atlanta now and the fear for McCanns return is money. They think he will be offered the brinks truck that they can't afford to match.
Roll Tide

#100 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,524 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:41 AM

ESPN: Braves leaving for Cobb County in 2017

http://espn.go.com/m...obb-county-2017

ATLANTA -- The Braves are leaving Turner Field and moving into a new 42,000-seat, $672 million stadium complex in Cobb County in 2017.

Braves executives John Schuerholz, Mike Plant and Derek Schiller said Monday the team decided not to seek another 20-year lease at Turner Field and began talks with the Cobb Marietta Coliseum and Exhibit Hall Authority in July.

The Braves also announced the news via their Twitter account.

The infrastructure at Turner Field was originally built for the 1996 Summer Olympics before being converted to a baseball park that opened in 1997.

The stadium will be part of a 60-acre development near Cobb Galleria mall.

Plant says talks broke down with the Atlanta Fulton County Recreational Authority earlier this year. He adds that the team has not signed a contract with Cobb County, but he's "100 percent certain it will happen."

Schiller says financing will come from the Braves and the Cobb County government. The team will be responsible for any cost overruns.

Didn't see this one coming. Wow.

• Oriole85 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=