Photo

BSL: Ravens beat Cincinnati; What did we see?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:22 AM

Why wasn't the AJ Green fumble overturned?  Wasn't that obvious?

Have no idea, and yes, yes it was. That was atrocious. My best guess is that Walt Coleman has AJ Green on his fantasy team.

#42 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:45 AM

Also Dean Pees gets a game ball.  I feel like I've been critical of him all season but he used his traditional pass rush with some augmented pieces to be really effective.

I loved a lot of the high B-gap blitzes.  He effectively used Suggs/Dumvervil's speed to open gaps for slightly delayed blitzers to come free.  He also dropped Dumervil into pass coverage a few times.  The rush was traditional at times and at times incredibly varied.  I felt like it was the first time that we took good advantage of our edge rushers.  Throwing in a couple more stunts from Dumervil and Suggs to tuck under those blitzers and we'll see some good dividends.

I also thought Elam had a good game.  The screen pass didn't get diagnosed, but it was a very good play call and he almost made the tackle.  

Arthur Brown has turned into a very good 3rd down ILB.  He's great rushing in the A-Gaps and when he's not blitzing he's been quite effective in coverage. 

Was it just me or was McClain not on the field as much again.  Seems like Pees manned up and and made some really good personnel and play calling decisions this week.

Let's see if Caldwell has it in him for next week.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#43 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,067 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:25 PM

Why wasn't the AJ Green fumble overturned?  Wasn't that obvious?

I thought so.  Unless the hand on the ball counts the same as the ground causing a fumble, but that's not how I understand that rule (which isn't saying a lot).  Pereira said it should stand though, which was confusing to me.  I haven't seen any discussion of that call from people who really know what they are talking about in terms of the rules and replay decisions.  Would be very interested to see that.

#44 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,634 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:35 PM

I sit near the most obnoxious football fan I've ever met.  He's never seen a penalty that he agreed with on the Ravens, and, all the way up from our seats in the 500s, has a much better view of where the ball should be spotted.  On most plays, he's fairly certain the other team has committed some sort of penalty.  Another thing he loves to do, is yell out "hike!  hike!  hike!" as if the center or an offensive lineman is going to hear him up in our section and false start -- this happens on about 75% of the opponents' plays from scrimmage and is guaranteed on any 3rd down when the noise is deafening anyway.

Also, he lacks knowledge of the rules, even basic concepts.  For example, yesterday Dalton got absolutely decked as he was throwing the ball, and this guy almost had a coronary as to why intentional grounding wasn't called.

I want him dead.

Anyway, the game doesn't always have to be pretty, and a Win is a Win (in most cases).  By the time it was over, I was just happy that we got out of there with the W over the reeling Bengals.

8-8 might very well win the AFC North and, as we saw last year, get hot at the right time and anything can happen.

• DuffMan likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#45 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:18 PM

I think that being fortunate enough to have a franchise with a stated goal of making a deep play off run year in and year out has made the fan base forget how to enjoy the journey. As a lot of people have said, a win's a win. Jacksonville just won their first. TB will try to tonight. Gotta just enjoy it and stop being miserable after tough games. 

#46 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:33 PM

I think that being fortunate enough to have a franchise with a stated goal of making a deep play off run year in and year out has made the fan base forget how to enjoy the journey. As a lot of people have said, a win's a win. Jacksonville just won their first. TB will try to tonight. Gotta just enjoy it and stop being miserable after tough games. 

Some people are just miserable in general and you know what they say, misery loves company. 

That said yesterday was a fun day at the stadium.  I really like games that are close and every drive matters.  Same with baseball, pitchers duels are the best.  Being a fan and running through the gamut of emotions in one day is my reward for being a fan.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
<p>I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#47 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,858 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:07 PM

Was it just me or was McClain not on the field as much again.  Seems like Pees manned up and and made some really good personnel and play calling decisions this week.

Still don't understand why McClain is/was starting over Brown. Brown, from what I've seen, has looked very good in the limited action he's seeing. There's no way you can convince me that we are a better defense with McClain/Bynes and Smith as we'd be with Brown and Smith. I'm not buying it, and I don't really have a problem with Bynes.

#48 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:09 PM

I thought so.  Unless the hand on the ball counts the same as the ground causing a fumble, but that's not how I understand that rule (which isn't saying a lot).  Pereira said it should stand though, which was confusing to me.  I haven't seen any discussion of that call from people who really know what they are talking about in terms of the rules and replay decisions.  Would be very interested to see that.

Pereira changed his mind and said that is should have been overturned. 

• Mackus likes this
@PeterDiLutis

#49 ncicere

ncicere
  • Members
  • 193 posts
  • LocationFort Collins, CO

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:14 PM

This game should have never came down to the wire because the Ravens should have put the Bengals away.  Not putting away teams is asking for disaster.  Also, a $120 million dollar qb should not have 20 completions for 140 yards.  Thats not even an average of 4 yards a completion.  Put Vonta Leach in front of Ray Rice and go back to the power run.  WEAR TEAMS OUT.

@ItsYaBoySwiss---Buck Truck

#50 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:07 PM

This game should have never came down to the wire because the Ravens should have put the Bengals away.  Not putting away teams is asking for disaster.  Also, a $120 million dollar qb should not have 20 completions for 140 yards.  Thats not even an average of 4 yards a completion.  Put Vonta Leach in front of Ray Rice and go back to the power run.  WEAR TEAMS OUT.

People who say this....

Aaron Rodgers vs Cincinnati this year 26 for 43 244 yards 1 td, 1 int

Tom Brady vs Miami this year 13 for 22 116 yards 1 td, 1 int

Tony Romo vs New Orleans this year 10 for 24 128 yards 1 td, 0 int

None of these guys should have games like this but guess what it happens in the NFL.

<p>I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#51 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:09 PM

I sit near the most obnoxious football fan I've ever met.  He's never seen a penalty that he agreed with on the Ravens, and, all the way up from our seats in the 500s, has a much better view of where the ball should be spotted.  On most plays, he's fairly certain the other team has committed some sort of penalty.  Another thing he loves to do, is yell out "hike!  hike!  hike!" as if the center or an offensive lineman is going to hear him up in our section and false start -- this happens on about 75% of the opponents' plays from scrimmage and is guaranteed on any 3rd down when the noise is deafening anyway.

Also, he lacks knowledge of the rules, even basic concepts.  For example, yesterday Dalton got absolutely decked as he was throwing the ball, and this guy almost had a coronary as to why intentional grounding wasn't called.

I want him dead.

Anyway, the game doesn't always have to be pretty, and a Win is a Win (in most cases).  By the time it was over, I was just happy that we got out of there with the W over the reeling Bengals.

8-8 might very well win the AFC North and, as we saw last year, get hot at the right time and anything can happen.

I swear it isn't me. Can't promise it's not a family member.

#52 ncicere

ncicere
  • Members
  • 193 posts
  • LocationFort Collins, CO

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:04 PM

People who say this....

Aaron Rodgers vs Cincinnati this year 26 for 43 244 yards 1 td, 1 int

Tom Brady vs Miami this year 13 for 22 116 yards 1 td, 1 int

Tony Romo vs New Orleans this year 10 for 24 128 yards 1 td, 0 int

None of these guys should have games like this but guess what it happens in the NFL.

Yeah it happens, I agree.  But it's the consistency of having games like this.  

@ItsYaBoySwiss---Buck Truck

#53 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:59 AM

Pedro - Do you sit in 513?
@PeterDiLutis

#54 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:20 AM

Yup, it's Dilutis.

Pete, you do so well on the board. What happens when you get to the games??

#55 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,634 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:56 AM

Haha. No.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."