Photo

BSL: Ravens beat Cincinnati; What did we see?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,357 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:43 PM

BSL: Ravens beat Cincinnati; What did we see?
http://baltimorespor...cinnati-ot-see/

The Baltimore Ravens used an energetic M&T Bank home crowd; and a strong defensive effort to beat the Cincinnati Bengals 20-17 in Overtime. With the win, the Ravens improve to 4-5 on the year, while the Bengals fall to 6-4.

The Bengals were able to force OT, when their prayers were answered on a 51 yard heave with time expiring. Ravens Safety Jamed Ihedigbo did not knock the ball down, instead tapping the ball up, and allowing AJ Green to make the game tying catch.

In OT, the Ravens came up with a 4th down defensive stop (with Ihedigbo helping), and answered offensively with a FG for the win.

What did we see?

1) For Baltimore to have any remaining post-season aspirations; they needed to win this divisional game vs. Cincinnati. Playing at-home, with that back-drop; it was our expectation that the Ravens would play with intensity today. That expectation proved accurate.

2) Great effort from the Ravens defense. They were aided by the crowd, and some horrible play from Andy Dalton; but the Ravens defense deserves credit on their own. It started up-front with good line play (DeAngelo Tyson, Art Jones), and continued into the Secondary (Jimmy Smith played particularly well). Fantastic job of making Dalton uncomfortable in the pocket, and taking away AJ Green as an option.

3) Defensively, we liked seeing Webb brought in multiple times with the CB blitz. (Webb also had a nice 3rd Quarter pick, and was consistently active all over the field.)

4) Offensively, we liked seeing Flacco roll out on multiple plays. Was just a play, but we did like seeing Tyrod Taylor being utilized on the reverse. Taylor has strong elusiveness.

5) The thing we liked most today (besides the win) was seeing the Ravens get to play from ahead. What a huge difference.

6) It might get somewhat lost in the win today, but this was a poor game for the offense. The offensive line issues continued. The inability to run continued, even with Geno Atkins on the shelf for the Bengals. (Shipley was temporarily forced out of the game, replaced by Jah Reid.) Flacco's accuracy issues continued, and there were multiple turnovers. At the end of regulation, the Ravens were 2 of 15 on 3rd down. It should be noted that Atkins was not the only Bengals defensive starter out.

7) One of the big early moments of the game was when the Ravens defensive came up with a 4th down stop on the Bengals initial drive. Following that stop, the Ravens advanced to a 1st and Goal situation when Cincinnati's Reggie Nelson was called for Pass Interference on a horribly under-thrown ball from Flacco. On 2nd down, Ngata was brought in as an extra-blocker on a run for Leach. On 3rd down, Flacco did a tremendous job of extending the play, and found Clark for the score. It was nice early redemption for Clark, who had dropped a potential 1st down on the Ravens initial series.

8) One of the consistent stories of the game, was that Ravens were able to generate good 3rd pressure on Dalton. Dumervil had his way with Whitworth in the 2nd half.

9) The Ravens 3rd drive would end with a Tucker FG, and a 10-0 Baltimore lead. The drive started with a nice looking roll out from Flacco to Smith. Pierce had a catch, and gained some yards after the reception. Pierce followed that up with a 1st down run between the tackles for 9 yards. The Ravens were not able to pick up the 1st down though, with Flacco making a poor throw on 3rd down.

10) Ngata looked to be having one of his better games of the year, before being forced to leave with a sprained knee. He was in and out of the game thereafter.

11) Pressured on 3rd down, Flacco tried to make something happen and threw a 2nd Quarter pick - being hit as he threw. The interception did not provide a huge difference in field-position vs. what would have been the result of the punt; but Flacco should have taken the sack there. Flacco was not helped by Rice missing his blocking assignment on the play.

12) Baltimore went up 17-0, when they capitalized on a Dalton interception. The score coming on a fantastic catch from Torrey Smith over the middle.

13) Coach Harbaugh lost a timeout with his 3rd Quarter challenge.

14) Leading 17-3 in the 4th, Flacco was picked off for a 2nd time. It was a little bit early to be thinking about milking the clock, but the inability to run kind of telegraphed the pass. Regardless, it was a poor decision from Flacco. Several minute later, the Bengals would pull within a TD when Bernard found the end zone.

15)  With just over 4 minutes left, Flacco fumbled, giving the Bengals the ball back around midfield.

16) It generally looked like Pierce was more effective in his opportunities touching the ball than Rice was with his.

17) Ihedigbo came up with his 2nd interception of the game with 1:55 left in the 4th, a crucial play.
His good play during the game goes for naught with his volleyball tap to Green for the tying score as regulation ended. Incomprehensible. That said, he gets credit for the 4th and 2 stop he helped make in OT.
18) After the 4th and 2 stop, the Ravens did enough to get into position to attempt a FG. Good job from Rice coming back to the ball on his catch.
19) Baltimore's remaining schedule is @Chicago, NY Jets, Pittsburgh, Minnesota, @Detroit, New England, and @Cincinnati.  Cincinnati's remaining schedule is Cleveland, BYE, @San Diego, Indianapolis, @Pittsburgh, Minnesota, and Baltimore. Today's win gives the Ravens the chance to continue to dream about the post-season. To me, it will take winning the AFC North, and likely winning in Cincinnati. To get the chance for that game to mean something though, the Ravens have to use today as a spring board. Winning in Chicago this coming week, and getting back to .500 would be a good start. Being at home made a difference today. Taking advantage of the home conditions in that 3 game stretch after the Bears has to happen as well.

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,357 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:52 PM

Finally breathing again after how regulation ended.

The defense was great today overall, and getting the win is huge. Overall, I'm going to focus on those positives.

Find a way to beat Chicago and get back to .500.

#3 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:58 PM

Finally breathing again after how regulation ended.

The defense was great today overall, and getting the win is huge. Overall, I'm going to focus on those positives.

Find a way to beat Chicago and get back to .500.

Glad we came out on top after the flukish play that ended regulation. I don't blame Ihedigbo much there, it seemed he was definitely trying to knock it down, but just didn't get the good part of the ball like he had hoped. It was a fluke and it happens quick.

Outside of some obvious fatigue toward the end of the game, I thought the D looked as good as it has all season. That was great to see. Dalton was terrible.

#4 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:59 PM

We saw the Baltimore Buccaneers against the Cincinnati Jaguars.

Truly horrible football.

• You Play to Win the Game, BaltBird 24 and DuffMan like this

@fuzydunlop

#5 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:01 PM

-Playing from ahead was crucial for the defense. At least getting up 17. We were able to really crank up the pressure on Dalton which was huge.

-A win is a win. It's the bottom line but other than that there really wasn't anything today that makes you believe this team is going to make a playoff push. The offense is just atrocious. Flacco isn't efficient enough to completely have the keys and be throwing 40 times a game. I've always backed Joe, but he's not an elite QB. He can't carry a team. Only a few QBs in this league can. Still, he made just enough plays to win this game. The first TD and the two pass completions and OT were all because he bought time and made some plays outside the pocket.

- We all know the Oline is the big problem both in the pass and run game. We've speculated for weeks whether or not Rice has lost a step and just how much.Well,  it's now become completely clear to me that Ray Rice has lost a step, if not 2 or 3. He's never going to have a big day with this Oline but in years past he would have been ok today. He would have made some more plays. The Oline did occasionally open up some space and Rice either didn't hit the hole hard or didn't break arm tackles. He also did nothing in space.

- Glad to see Webb have a good day. Broke on a lot of balls. Really good in run support. Took a ball away. Looked like the old Webb. Still probably a step slow, but an incredibly smart football player. I think he would be a tremendous free roaming safety in the mold of Reed. Interesting to see if he doesn't regain that step if and when he gets moved to safety.

- Said it in the game thread. Tucker is money. In less than 2 years, he's pretty much gained as much of my trust as Stover did during his time here. That's saying something.

#6 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:12 PM

I'm not gonna place any blame on Ihedigbo for the hail mary gaffe either. However, there is always a trail receiver on the hail marys. A.J Green in this case, and someone should have been on him like white on rice. A.J. Green should never ever be left alone ever at any point, much less game point. Could have put Marlon Brown or Jacoby Jones back there. Teams usually put their tallest player out there in that situation.
@BSLMikeRandall

#7 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:14 PM

Exactly, I don't blame James for the tip. It happens super fast and it was natural reactions that happened there. However, if it's his responsibility to be on Green than there is some fault there(probably not his responsibility). Still, yeah, you can't just leave a trail WR completely uncovered.

BTW..... In know Tuck is clutch and I know we had the wind at the back but I don't like the decision to settle for a 47 yarder there in OT with a new set of downs. You got to attempt to get that kick inside of 40 yards. You can be relatively conservative throwing the ball, but I don't think it was correct to just run the Rb into the LOS 3 straight times.  .

• Mike in STL likes this

#8 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:18 PM

Oh yeah. I wad scared to death that they were settling for a 47 yarder. From the hash too. Leach made no attempt to get in the middle.
@BSLMikeRandall

#9 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,523 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:25 PM

I've been a harsh critic of him recently, so it deserves mention that on a day in which his Bengals counterpart struggled, Sam Koch had a pretty decent day....getting off good punts on several occasions when he had to kick into a strong wind.

• BSLChrisStoner, You Play to Win the Game and Mike in STL like this

#10 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,068 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:33 PM

Oh yeah. I wad scared to death that they were settling for a 47 yarder. From the hash too. Leach made no attempt to get in the middle.

They (Tucker) obviously wanted to be on the hash, otherwise Leach would've run towards the middle or more likely Joe just would've snuck it. 

I agree that the decision to just pound it forward was overly conservative.  Of course, the line is so bad that even if he has clear instructions to get rid of the ball and not take a sack, something negative could easily happen if Joe drops back to throw. 

There was a similar situation at the end of regulation, where we ran it on 3rd and 4 or so while Cincy still had one timeout with just over a minute left.  I would've thrown there, too, but with opposite instructions to Joe, telling him to take a sack instead of throw a risky pass or throwing it away.

#11 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:37 PM

They (Tucker) obviously wanted to be on the hash, otherwise Leach would've run towards the middle or more likely Joe just would've snuck it.

That makes sense. I guess as a spectator, a kick from the middle gives you room for error in either direction.
@BSLMikeRandall

#12 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:40 PM

Yeah, for whatever reason I think they wanted to be on that hash. Tucker probably felt most comfortable there in warmups or something.

#13 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:44 PM

I just don't know why you run a play at all. There is a small chance that something good will happen and Leach runs for the first down. However, the chances are just as good to lose yardage...or worse.

If you aren't looking to center the ball, and you aren't REALLY looking to advance it, you might as well kick on third down, so if something bad happens there, at least you have a chance to kick again or punt the ball away.

@DJ_McCann

#14 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:47 PM

I just don't know why you run a play at all. There is a small chance that something good will happen and Leach runs for the first down. However, the chances are just as good to lose yardage...or worse.

If you aren't looking to center the ball, and you aren't REALLY looking to advance it, you might as well kick on third down, so if something bad happens there, at least you have a chance to kick again or punt the ball away.

True, they had already decided they were just going to run into the line. Might as well attempt on 3rd down.

Sure, Leach could have picked up an extra 3-4 yards but he also could have fumbled. I think the right risk/reward play all things considered is to kick on 3rd down.

#15 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:17 PM

Joe was both terrible and a big reason they won at the same time.

Defense played very well for over 3 quarters.

Don't know how much the wind screwed with things today but that was a terrible football game.

This win doesn't make me think the can keep the momentum going and make the playoffs.

#16 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:31 PM

Joe was both terrible and a big reason they won at the same time.

Defense played very well for over 3 quarters.

Don't know how much the wind screwed with things today but that was a terrible football game.

This win doesn't make me think the can keep the momentum going and make the playoffs.

Exactly. It's why he can be polarizing. He's certainly inconsistent, but it's increased by having almost no talent around him offensively.

#17 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:52 PM

-Playing from ahead was crucial for the defense. At least getting up 17. We were able to really crank up the pressure on Dalton which was huge.

-A win is a win. It's the bottom line but other than that there really wasn't anything today that makes you believe this team is going to make a playoff push. The offense is just atrocious. Flacco isn't efficient enough to completely have the keys and be throwing 40 times a game. I've always backed Joe, but he's not an elite QB. He can't carry a team. Only a few QBs in this league can. Still, he made just enough plays to win this game. The first TD and the two pass completions and OT were all because he bought time and made some plays outside the pocket.

- We all know the Oline is the big problem both in the pass and run game. We've speculated for weeks whether or not Rice has lost a step and just how much.Well,  it's now become completely clear to me that Ray Rice has lost a step, if not 2 or 3. He's never going to have a big day with this Oline but in years past he would have been ok today. He would have made some more plays. The Oline did occasionally open up some space and Rice either didn't hit the hole hard or didn't break arm tackles. He also did nothing in space.

- Glad to see Webb have a good day. Broke on a lot of balls. Really good in run support. Took a ball away. Looked like the old Webb. Still probably a step slow, but an incredibly smart football player. I think he would be a tremendous free roaming safety in the mold of Reed. Interesting to see if he doesn't regain that step if and when he gets moved to safety.

- Said it in the game thread. Tucker is money. In less than 2 years, he's pretty much gained as much of my trust as Stover did during his time here. That's saying something.

Yeah, I agree with you about Rice. The O-line, specifically Gino, is horrid, but it was clear watching Rice today that something isn't right. Whether he's lost a step, is still banged up, or both I don't know, but he's obviously not right.

Looking ahead, Ravens really need to steal one in Chicago. If they can do that, they are set up very well for the last 6 games. 

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@PeterDiLutis

#18 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:56 PM

I actually thought that Shipley played well before he went down. Reid had a couple bad plays, but generally did OK as well for the most part.

#19 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,068 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:24 PM

I think the defense played a full game for the first time in a while.  The last play was pretty much a fluke.  The offense is still a mess, largely due to the ineptness of the offensive line, so that'll still need to improve to think the team really has what's needed to make a rather improbable run to the playoffs.

#20 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,357 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:39 PM

Pierce 8 carries, 31 yards.
Rice 18 carries, 30 yards.

Pierce 3 catches, 12 yards.

Rice 6 catches, 26 yards.

If the Ravens have 26 rushing attempts Sunday vs. Chicago... should the carries be balanced, Rice with the edge, or Pierce with the edge?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=